The Backlog Check-in Vol. 202: 11/13/21: Battlefield 2042/Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Pokémon Shining Pearl Edition

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 202: 11/13/21: Battlefield 2042/Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Pokémon Shining Pearl Edition

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:31 am All right, friends, I am here to seek your guidance. PSN is having a sale on indie games... and there are over 1,000 listed. I already grabbed Wattam and Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. Anything else there you strongly recommend??

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/cat ... ff3b1728/1
Can't remember what you've already played...but Donut County was decent, Goat Simulator was a lot of fun to mess around with, Maquette was interesting (though it was free on PS+ a while back), What Remains of Edith Finch was great. Out of those, I would say Edith Finch and then maybe Goat Simulator for strong recommendations.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 202: 11/13/21: Battlefield 2042/Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Pokémon Shining Pearl Edition

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:31 am All right, friends, I am here to seek your guidance. PSN is having a sale on indie games... and there are over 1,000 listed. I already grabbed Wattam and Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. Anything else there you strongly recommend??

I see several that I've *heard* great things about and that I've been interested in trying, but since I have no personal experience with those I won't recommend them.

As for what I have played & highly recommend (especially for these prices):

Sundered - top-notch Metroidvania, a little tough but fair - $3.99
The Adventure Pals - OMG ONE OF THE BEST 2D PLATFORMERS YOU'LL PLAY, BUY THIS NOW!!! - $2.99
Hand of Fate - A hard-to-describe mix of cards & tabletop RPGs that's super unique and a lot of fun. The second one is in the sale too, but I haven't played that yet. - $4.39
Yoku's Island Express - I know I've raved about this one before, but an unlikely mix of pinball & a 2d Metroidvania = pure bliss. I love this game so much. - $4.99

I'm gonna stop looking there, there's a LOT in that sale! I recommend all 4 of these, but Adventure Pals and Yoku's get my absolute highest recommendations. Everyone should play those 2 games IMO.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Awesome! Both of you have (nearly :P ) impeccable taste so I shall pounce on those. Thanks!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:31 amAll right, friends, I am here to seek your guidance. PSN is having a sale on indie games... and there are over 1,000 listed. I already grabbed Wattam and Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. Anything else there you strongly recommend??

Great sale, I just bought 14 games from it.

The following are games that I’ve played, and would recommend for cheap:

Aggelos (retro style 2D side scrolling pixel art action adventure platformer)
Anima: Gate of Memories (third person action adventure)
Ara Fell (retro style 2D top-down view pixel art RPG)
ArcaniA - The Complete Tale (third person action RPG)
Ary and the Secret of Seasons (third person action adventure platformer)
Bound by Flame (third person action RPG)
Crossing Souls (retro style top-down view pixel art action adventure)
Jagged Alliance: Rage! (isometric view tactical turn-based strategy)
A Knight’s Quest (third person action adventure platformer)
Mercenary Kings (retro style 2D side scrolling pixel art action)
Never Alone (side scrolling action platformer)
Shadows: Awakening (isometric view action RPG)
Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom (third person action adventure)
The Technomancer (third person action RPG)

The following I either have but haven’t played yet, or that I’ve heard through the grapevine are good (or are fishing games which I know that you like :P):

Bladed Fury (2D side scrolling action platformer)
Children of Morta (top-down view pixel art dungeon crawler)
CrossCode (top-down view action RPG)
Cuphead (2D side scrolling action shooter)
The Fisherman - Fishing Planet (fishing)
God’s Trigger (top-down view Hotline Miami style action)
Hard West (isometric view tactical turn-based strategy)
The Hong Kong Massacre (top-down view Hotline Miami style action)
Horizon Chase Turbo (retro style arcade racing recommended by izzy)
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1, 2, 3 (isometric view Van Helsing meets Diablo)
King’s Quest: The Complete Collection (point-and-click adventure)
Legrand Legacy: Tale of the Fatebounds (turn-based RPG)
The Long Dark (first person survival recommended by izzy)
Machinarium (puzzle)
Rapala Fishing: Pro Series (fishing)
Rise Eterna (top-down view tactical turn-based strategy)
Seasons after Fall (side scrolling adventure platformer)
The Sexy Brutale (isometric view murder mystery)
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (isometric view tactical stealth strategy)
Thimbleweed Park (point-and-click adventure)
Timespinner (2D side scrolling pixel art Metroidvania)
Wargroove (top-down view tactical turn-based strategy)
Wasteland 2 (isometric view tactical turn-based strategy)
We Happy Few (first person IDK WTF it is)

I’m just bringing these to your attention so that you can watch reviews of them to see if they might be your thing, or not.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh, just buy CrossCode. You will love that, old man. I always get distracted by something else when I get around to it (by GOATs like Neo The World Ends With You or Like a Dragon or DQ11S so it's not anything that is that game's fault). Also, DBZ Kakarot has fishing old man. That's all I am going to say...I will give the sale a once over tonight when I look at the Black Friday sale that starts today on PSN and see if anything else jumps out at me to suggest.

And argyle...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the trailers for The Adventure Pals and I might be able to get the kiddo into that one. I will play LITERALLY ANYTHING that is NOT LEGO WHATEVER at this point. We will get playing some Sims 4 this weekend and I will likely boot this up too :) !
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phase, PS+ is $40 at various places including amazon. That's a pretty good deal.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:00 amI will give the sale a once over tonight when I look at the Black Friday sale that starts today on PSN and see if anything else jumps out at me to suggest.
I just looked at the Black Friday sale, and there’s some pretty good deals on some games that I want. However, I want physical copies of them. And despite me recently saying that I was hoping that a lot of newer releases that I’m interested in would be on sale Black Friday and Cyber Monday, unless they’re $30 or less I’m going to pass because I just bought a lot of digital/indie games.

I also take back what I said about wanting to play my physical games more than my digital/indie ones, because I have plenty of digital/indie games that I want to play just as much as my physical ones. While most of the games that I buy physically are bigger budget more AAA type games, I enjoy lower budget digital/indie games just as much depending on the game.
jfissel wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:47 amPhase, PS+ is $40 at various places including amazon. That's a pretty good deal.
Thanks for letting me know, but I have like 600 PS4 games now so I don’t think that I would get much benefit from PS Plus at this point since a big part of it is the free games that it gives you.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:00 am Oh, just buy CrossCode. You will love that, old man. I always get distracted by something else when I get around to it (by GOATs like Neo The World Ends With You or Like a Dragon or DQ11S so it's not anything that is that game's fault). Also, DBZ Kakarot has fishing old man. That's all I am going to say...I will give the sale a once over tonight when I look at the Black Friday sale that starts today on PSN and see if anything else jumps out at me to suggest.
Done. CC definitely looks dope.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:33 pm
crimson_tide wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:00 am Oh, just buy CrossCode. You will love that, old man.
Done. CC definitely looks dope.
Are you going to research the games that I listed for you to check out? You didn’t mention it, so I wasn’t sure. There’s 30+ games, so I would expect there to be at least a few that look appealing to you.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Sweet old man, let me know when you get around to it and maybe I will pop back into it :) . And CrossCode is on your list Phase, that's why I mentioned it ;) .