Phaseknox’s Top 10 Games of 2021

Phaseknox

Phaseknox’s Top 10 Games of 2021

Post by Phaseknox »

The following are my top 10 games of 2021:

10. Rabi-Ribi
This is a fun little 2D pixel art side scrolling Metroidvania. The graphics and characters are cute and colorful, the gameplay is action/platforming, the levels are fairly well designed and the music is good. The story is nonsensical, and the biggest negative about the game.

9. Crossing Souls
This is a fun top-down view pixel art action, adventure, platformer that takes place in the 80s. You play as a group of kids each with their own abilities to overcome the challenges and obstacles that the game throws at them. The gameplay and level designs are good, but the story isn’t the best.

8. The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors
This is a remaster of the old SNES side scrolling beat ‘em up where you play as cyborg ninjas battling baddies through various levels. The graphics, gameplay, combat and music are all really good.

7. Shadows of Adam
This is a 16-bit style top-down view pixel art turn-based JRPG that was developed in America. It has retro charm, a likable cast of characters and a good battle system. It’s a little on the short side for an RPG, but it’s fun while it lasts.

6. Evoland II
This is a top-down view JRPG that was developed in France. It has a time travel story, and the visual style changes from 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit based on if you’re in the past, present, or future. Some parts it’s an action RPG, some parts it’s a turn-based RPG and some parts it’s a strategy RPG. It has a pretty good story, cast of characters, charm and humor.

5. The LEGO Movie Video Game
I’m a fan of The LEGO Movie, and this is basically a video game version of it. It follows the story of the movie, and even includes actual scenes from the movie. It’s a cute, fun and humorous action, platform, puzzle game throughout.

4. Scarlet Nexus
While I didn’t technically finish this game, I got to the last level and rage quit due to an annoying multi-formed boss battle. I had a pretty good time with it up until that point. It’s a third person Japanese action game with an anime aesthetic, real-time combat and RPG elements. The story is a bit bonkers, but the characters and combat are good.

3. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
While not quite as good as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey IMO, it’s still really good. The story, characters, graphics and gameplay are all topnotch. It’s a third person open world action adventure game with RPG elements. It plays a bit sluggish and the pacing can be slow at times, but it’s a big adventure with a lot to see and do in it.

2. Cyberpunk 2077
While not quite as good as I was hoping for, it’s still really good. It’s a first person futuristic sci-fi open world action RPG with a good story, cast of characters and a mix of melee and shooting combat. The game world is impressive looking, and there’s a lot of cool stuff that happens throughout.

1. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
The fact that I played through this twice this year shows how much that I liked it. It’s one of the best games that I’ve played... period. It’s a third person open world action adventure game with RPG elements. Kassandra is one of my favorite video game characters, and the game itself is pure fun with enjoyable combat and traversal.
canedaddy

Re: Phaseknox’s Top 10 Games of 2021

Post by canedaddy »

I didn't realize you played through Odyssey twice. Given your reputation, that says a lot. :lol: I'll have to get that at some point.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've been interested in Evoland II. It's in my steam backlog. I'll get to it hopefully one day.

And I had no idea that you played Cyberpunk phase. I'm guessing it was early in the year. I'm still interested in it, despite the "backlash" and problems. Happy to see it was worth a play.

Nice to read your list. I can't say I'm drawn to all the AC, ha, but to be fair, I've only ever played the first entry - well enough of it to know I didn't like it at all. And I'm obviously in the minority as those games are so popular. I won't rule out trying another entry at some point in time.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:41 amI didn't realize you played through Odyssey twice. Given your reputation, that says a lot. :lol: I'll have to get that at some point.
It’s not hoodie guy Assassin’s Creed, so I think that you will like it. If it wasn’t for the modern day sci-if stuff it could be a standalone game separate from AC. But when you play it choose Kassandra and not her dopey brother Alexios.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:17 amI've been interested in Evoland II. It's in my steam backlog. I'll get to it hopefully one day.
It’s a game that I can confidently recommend to everyone here. My only real complaint with it is the forced Bejeweled/Puzzle Quest type section near the end. I admittedly stopped playing the game there because I couldn’t figure out how to pass it to progress.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:17 amI had no idea that you played Cyberpunk phase. I'm guessing it was early in the year. I'm still interested in it, despite the "backlash" and problems. Happy to see it was worth a play.
Yeah, I bought it day one in December 2020 and finished it early this year. My only real complaint with it were the plethora of bugs and glitches, but most of those have probably been fixed by now.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:17 amNice to read your list. I can't say I'm drawn to all the AC, ha, but to be fair, I've only ever played the first entry - well enough of it to know I didn't like it at all. And I'm obviously in the minority as those games are so popular. I won't rule out trying another entry at some point in time.
Assassin’s Creed Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are almost different games compared to the AC games before them. They’re almost like standalone open world action RPGs, especially Odyssey which doesn’t really feel like an AC game at all IMO.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:09 pm Assassin’s Creed Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are almost different games compared to the AC games before them. They’re almost like standalone open world action RPGs, especially Odyssey which doesn’t really feel like an AC game at all IMO.
I'm sure that's true. My main issue with (what I've played of) Ubi is the "factory feel" of (many of) their works. It often feels very game-design-by-numbers without the *heart* that I really look for in any form of creativity. Again though, my familiarity with the AC series, outside of the original, is limited to reviews I've read / videos, so my opinions aren't really informed through direct experience, and so not really worth too much. Maybe I'd enjoy one of the newer ones.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:21 pmI'm sure that's true. My main issue with (what I've played of) Ubi is the "factory feel" of (many of) their works. It often feels very game-design-by-numbers without the *heart* that I really look for in any form of creativity. Again though, my familiarity with the AC series, outside of the original, is limited to reviews I've read / videos, so my opinions aren't really informed through direct experience, and so not really worth too much. Maybe I'd enjoy one of the newer ones.
I get what you’re saying, a lot of Ubisoft games have a similar open world packed with objective icons scattered all over the map design structure that they tend to recycle for many of their franchises. I personally like that design structure, but I know that it’s not for everyone. The one somewhat recent Ubisoft game that sort of bucks that trend is Immortals: Fenyx Rising. It’s still an open world game with a lot to do in it, but on a much smaller scale with a more directed design structure to it compared to their other games. It’s also cartoonish, colorful, comical and cute with a lot of humor. It doesn’t feel like the usual Ubisoft game, and I think that you might like it for that reason.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:42 pm I get what you’re saying, a lot of Ubisoft games have a similar open world packed with objective icons scattered all over the map design structure that they tend to recycle for many of their franchises. I personally like that design structure, but I know that it’s not for everyone. The one somewhat recent Ubisoft game that sort of bucks that trend is Immortals: Fenyx Rising. It’s still an open world game with a lot to do in it, but on a much smaller scale with a more directed design structure to it compared to their other games. It’s also cartoonish, colorful, comical and cute with a lot of humor. It doesn’t feel like the usual Ubisoft game, and I think that you might like it for that reason.
Yeah, it looks good from what I've seen.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Cool beans fam Phase :) . It looks like we will be heading back remote for sometime after Xmas break because the numbers in the city are just insane at the moment. I will likely be doling out my list in drips and drabs like last year because it helped me keep my sanity being stuck at home :lol:.

As for your list, Scarlet Nexus is a given once that Bandai Namco joint hits Bandai Namco prices. I might look at this Evoland as well now, hopefully it's on sale starting next week. And you certainly loved your Odyssey bruh :P . But I am glad I held off on Valhalla. Dem fools are trying to charge another $40? Oh hell naw, imma be waiting til all that is dirt cheap before I bite now, if at all at this point.

And the Ubisoft formula is just video games to me, izzy. It is straight comfort food. There were many times last year I was happy to run through the AC games I played because of that formula. Fenyx didn't grab me but I think that was more because I was moving and house hunting at the time and there was too much going on so the formula had to be mad basic (hence why I did a full playthrough of Yakuza 3 :P ). I get why you and others decry it though. I do miss some of the goofier B tier nonsense we used to get and now these huge games suck all the air out of the room and make it hard to even notice them. But you seem to find them just fine, one of the reason I enjoy the lists from you and Phase and the other bruhs, get some interesting things to look into from y'all :) .
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 am And the Ubisoft formula is just video games to me, izzy. It is straight comfort food. There were many times last year I was happy to run through the AC games I played because of that formula.
You're surely not alone. I get repeating a successful formula, I guess it's just a matter of whether or not that recipe clicks for you. Plenty of games for us all.