The Backlog Check-in Vol. 207: 12/18/21: Christmas Eve Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 207: 12/18/21: Christmas Edition

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:23 amSo I will hopefully be able to get to FF14 before the spring rolls around. I would get a feel for it first before I bothered you and Tam with my noob nonsense. How far did you get? I will definitely let y'all know when I am down to play. Is there a role I should focus on that y'all need in a party?
I have no idea - we would definitely just start new characters, because it's been so long since we played that I doubt either of us remembers how to play. :P So yeah, we could all be newbs together if you want. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Far Cry 6 is currently on sale for $25, so I’m upset that I paid $35 for it on Black Friday. I expected that to be the best deal for it this year, but obviously not. I’ve learned my lesson to not buy anything on Black Friday/Cyber Monday unless it’s a really good deal that will unlikely be better later.

Speaking of Far Cry 6, I’ve finally gotten past the slump that I was somewhat having with it. The story and characters were seeming kind of average, and the missions were lacking variety. I was constantly tasked with going to a military base/compound/facility/outpost and taking it over, rescuing someone, retrieving something, or destroying something. Everything was starting to feel a little redundant. I was also getting a little frustrated with the missions because the instant that I was spotted by one soldier all of the soldiers in the vicinity would go nuts firing at me with pinpoint accuracy, using turrets, throwing grenades, shooting rocket launchers, firing mortars, setting off alarms to call reinforcements and calling in a helicopter that would show up unrealistically quickly. It just seemed like overkill to have the enemy soldiers react to my presence as if I was the Terminator.

But the game has gotten better. The story has picked up a lot, the characters have gotten more interesting, I’ve gotten better equipment/weapons and the missions have gotten more varied. There’s a variety of optional side activities to do as well, and I like doing a good amount of them. I’m really enjoying the game now, it’s packed with stuff to do and the gameplay/shooting combat is a lot of fun.
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:23 am Yeah Phase, I might have to give up on the Trails of Cold Steel if this new deal doesn't pan out. Gamestop is currently having a buy 5 used for 19.99 or less each, get 50% off. That is a crazy good deal for what I am looking for. If I can grab the first 2 or 3 games for $10 each, I will cave and spend $30 or so on the finale. I will get some other things like Sonic Colors and one more to make it worth it. Sure hope I can find a Gamestop that has all the games.
You could buy them online if you can’t find them in-store, but the problem with buying pre-owned games from GameStop online is that you don’t know if they will have their artwork and manuals.
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:23 amI also know Falcom made Tokyo Xanadu EX+ and that's supposed to be a bit more of any action RPG with Persona style interactions that's supposed to be somewhat like Trails so I may give that a real go in the coming year finally.
I posted impressions of it here a while back when I was playing it. I was mildly enjoying it. It has a bit of a repetitive gameplay loop that I got a little bored of and moved onto something else, but I was liking it enough to possibly play it again at some point.

By the way, Guardians of the Galaxy is currently on sale for $30 if you’re still interested in it for that price.
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 207: 12/18/21: Christmas Eve Edition

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:46 am
jfissel wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:16 pmWell, I made very little progress in Lost Judgment...not sure if I can beat it in the next couple of days since there's a lot to do. But definitely before the end of the year!
I assume that you want to finish it before the end of the year so that you can include it in your top games of the year list right?
Absolutely. Although I should note that I think it would make it by default anyway since I've only played 10 games, lol.

Merry Christmas, everyone! I'll be away for a few days and back early next week!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

argyle wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:18 am
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:23 amSo I will hopefully be able to get to FF14 before the spring rolls around. I would get a feel for it first before I bothered you and Tam with my noob nonsense. How far did you get? I will definitely let y'all know when I am down to play. Is there a role I should focus on that y'all need in a party?
I have no idea - we would definitely just start new characters, because it's been so long since we played that I doubt either of us remembers how to play. :P So yeah, we could all be newbs together if you want. ;)
Yay, look out for a message next month :D !...mostly because I am not sure what January is going to look like and I might be stuck at home. Again :roll: .

And I no longer care about boxes or manuals, Phase. Mostly because they don't :P . I don't think any physical game I own on PS4 has a manual, just a slip with digital codes or ads for other games from the publisher. The problem with buying them from Gamestop online is they don't have all the PS4 entries for Trails available. If you or anyone else has a work around for this, I am down to be proven wrong :) . I have an idea of things I would grab physically to get to 5 games like Sonic Colors and...I thought of something last night that was perfect...oh I remember, DQ Builders 2 is one of them. If I am still short, insert random anime arena fighter here and that should get me over the hump if I need 3. I think the one they are missing that could be part of the sale online is Trails 2. I think. I am pretty sure. But there's about 19275 Gamestops around me, i am sure I can cobble together something ;) .

And I am just going to wait on Guardians. Actually, I am going to try to play the Telltale game next week and having to play Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 which features them extensively has me not so much needing a fix. Besides, I want it cheap digitally and it's still nearly $40 so nah. Thanks for looking out though Phase, I appreciate you fam 8-) !

And yes, I do remember you mentioning the Tokyo Xanadu experience you had. Sometimes, I like to fall into a formula with a game as long as the formula works for me. It's still on the short list at the moment :) !