Izzy's 2021 Year in review...retro gamers unite :P

isthatallyougot

Re: Izzy's 2021 Year in review...retro gamers unite :P

Post by isthatallyougot »

10) Crimsonland (PC)

ImageImageImage

Twin stick shooters are usually a great time for me. Dating back to Robotron 2084 in the arcades, I've long had an affinity for this breed of game when done well. Looking to scratch that itch, I picked up Crimsonland from my Steam backlog and gave it a twirl. First, I'll mention that it's an old game, originally released in 2003. So it isn't a modern-day looker, but I nevertheless found the visuals clean and impressive in their limited scope. There are a variety of ways to play from a quest mode with 70 levels along with three difficulties to a variety of survival modes and a Typing of the Dead kind of mode called Typ'o'Shooter. The main quest mode was fun and engaging. I finished the game on the first two difficulties, but 'grim' proved to be, well, grim. Hardcore - the middle difficulty - was a nice challenge as the levels progressed, causing the nice type of stress where you're so engaged that everything else falls away and you find yourself in a state of flow - a hallmark of a good twin-stick for me. The most fun I had with the game was in one of the survival modes called 'Blitz' though. It's an accelerated version of the regular survival mode where things amp up more quickly. The basics of this mode, and the main quest mode, is that you gain experience while playing stages, and that levels you up allowing you to select from a variety of 'perks' to aid your man with a plan. These perks can range from being radioactive, which causes sustained damage to the baddies in close proximity, to perks that grant you faster re-load, better firepower with your current weapon, faster experience, more power-ups appearing, having those power-ups be magnetized to your player causing them to float towards you, among many others. So as you level up and progress, there is this nice sense of strategy about picking the right type of upgrade, knowing that you'll have only so many as you try to stay alive as long as possible. It's also a fun type of lottery in the randomization of offered perks. On some chances to pick a perk, you'll not find anything that you're particularly interested in on the current run, and on others, you might want them all. There's also a perk to allow more perks to appear at each level gained, giving you a better chance to find just the right one. There's also a huge selection of weapons that drop in the killing spree. Some are significantly better than others, but most are viable, and many appear differently, both visually and in their practical/strategical application. There are also the aforementioned power-ups that are dropped which can really lead to greater havoc. From nuclear bombs that clear out big hordes around you, to spinning waves of fire, slow motion, increased movement speed, freezing all enemies, health bonuses and on and on, there are many beneficial drops that you want to desperately pick up - if you can get to them. When you're in a zone and you've got the right set of perks and power-ups dropping with hordes surrounding from all sides, the screen really comes alive in a beautiful dance of frenetic chaos that keeps you poised on the edge of your seat. Overall, I really had a good time with this in the 17 or so hours I played with it. It's not the cream of the crop in the genre, but it's great fun and I'm very happy I gave it some of my time. I can see myself returning for another set of runs on Blitz mode from time to time just to see if I can climb higher on the leader boards or just for the sheer enjoyment of the action. Recommended. 4/5.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:53 amNow phase, we both know that the only criteria you use to measure a game's value is whether or not it has a female lead, and both of those games qualify. I'm honestly a little surprised that you are able to make any distinction at all between the two. :P
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:53 amAll kidding aside, we all use our own personal measuring stick in evaluating games (or anything else), but I can assure you that, agree or not, my list, reviews and rankings are a well-considered representation of *my own* genuine opinions, be they cuckoo or otherwise. :P
Of course, my opinions on games are often perceived as cuckoo by others as well. It is what it is.

isthatallyougot

Yeah phase, we all like what we like, for sure.

Like right now I'm loving a game that I think *everyone* here would hate. :The Longing: is mostly a game about waiting, reading, exploring a big underground map *very* slowly, and finding bits and pieces to furnish your home cave along with uncovering a bigger mystery that unfolds within your own awareness of the experience little by little while also waiting for a (theoretical) big reveal 400 days after starting. I'm totally hooked, but it's incredibly slow, and if you're not willing or interested in little rewards being doled out in drip-feed fashion through the slow progression of time, it would probably be excruciating. But it's scratching me just right.

isthatallyougot

9) Little Misfortune (PC)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Having absolutely loved Fran Bow (one of my all-time favorites), I was always eager to give the second effort of small Swedish developer, Killmonday Games, a go. The first thing that made an impression is the absolutely top-tier presentation. Just like Fran Bow, the artwork, environments, characters, animations and music are so clearly crafted as a labor of love by a couple of VERY talented people. Everything just oozes originality, personality and quality. And just like Fran Bow, this tale is of both a dark and comedic nature, leaning perhaps a bit heavier on the dark side of the equation. The titular Misfortune embarks upon a journey to obtain "Eternal Happiness", a quest given by a voice in her head that only she can hear. We come to know that her childhood isn't a pleasant one, as she has made a safe space under her bed to escape the ongoing conflict that rages between her "juice-drinking" parents. And in the course of this quest, we are asked to question if these adventures are playing out in her mind, in a sort of broken perception of reality stemming from her trauma. On her adventures she has the capacity to sprinkle glitter everywhere, and this magical ability transforms horrific and sad imagery into things she can accept and make room for in her fragile state, as she continuously tries to escape the real for a more palatable representation of the world. I won't go deep into the narrative because, in contrast to Fran Bow, the narrative is really all Little Misfortune has to offer, spectacular visual presentation notwithstanding. It's a very linear adventure with a couple of mini games to play and only a few very easy puzzles. I'm not sure if the developer received complaints about the difficulty of Fran Bow (it wasn't in my view, but it did have some challenge in its puzzles, no doubt) or just wanted to create a more accessible adventure. Either way, I did miss the resistance to progress. I enjoy at least a little challenge in my gaming most of the time, and there was absolutely none here. It's also quite short. I finished in three hours on the nose, and I always take my leisurely time with things. But despite its downsides, I couldn't help but be captivated by the same style I have come to love so much from the duo and the duology of Killmonday games. There were plenty of Swedish references and language which also really appealed to me, having lived there for a few years, and I'm still fairly capable with the language. That nod to my own roots felt very homey, and It was very nostalgic for me in that sense. (Don't worry, the game is almost exclusively in English, there are just some signs and messages in Swedish within the environments that don't impact any comprehension of things to a non-Swedish speaker.) Of note to some, there was also voice work in this title, unlike Fran, delivered by Natalia Martinsson of the studio, and it added some distinct flavor. And the tone of the game carried that duality that I love, that contrast of dark and light that is familiar to all of us in the living world. In a game industry with so much plagiarism and homogeneity, it's incredibly refreshing to play something that is so decisively unique and utterly charming in terms of its artistic vision and expression. It's not an all-time classic like Fran was for me, but it's certainly a game I can easily recommend to anyone who has a fondness for originality and can appreciate a bit of darkness that inevitably must come with their sunshine. 4/5.

isthatallyougot

8) Drill Dozer (GBA)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I was looking for something different to play from my backlog, and I thought about Drill Dozer on the GBA. (Full disclosure, I played via emulation, despite having it. But my copy is currently in a storage unit a few hours away, so I missed out on the cool rumble cartridge feature.) Anyway, I decided to fire it up for a few minutes and see if it grabbed me, and it did immediately. The drilling mechanic seemed different right away, the platforming and controls seemed tight, and the presentation was quirky enough to hold my attention. The narrative wasn't anything special. You are a group of thieves (or something) looking to retrieve a red diamond stolen from the main character's mother. Like many games, it succeeded more in tone than actual content as far as the story is concerned. It had a very playful vibe visually and musically. I was surprised that the GBA sound chip didn't offend like it so often does. It's usually quite the weak spot, especially for someone who finds audio such an important element of the total experience. But, it was decent enough here. Mechanically is where DD really differentiated itself. Driving the titular Dozer, you've got to not only use your drill against the games myriad baddies and bosses, but it's also a tool for navigating the environments. It's used to tunnel through pipes (forward and backward), to propel yourself skyward at certain points using connection points in the environment, to drill through sections of the environment to make progress and in a variety of other ways. It was quite inventive how this device was used and showed a new set of tricks in this usually-familiar platforming genre. Every level has you looking for 3 gears to upgrade the power and duration of your Dozer's drill bit, and once you've found all three you can really wreak some havoc on both the environment and enemies. And as mentioned, none of this unique flavor would matter if the controls weren't right, but thankfully they were spot on. It was actually quite challenging in a few place with time limits placed upon you as you tried to tunnel your way through environments before it was too late, and there were a few tough bosses that forced you to focus and use your plethora of drilling skills to overcome. There were also a variety of secrets and treasures to find, and you could upgrade your machine's health and drill bit with accumulated chips that you got from defeating enemies and drilling through environmental obstacles. I also really enjoyed the pixel art. It was a really attractive game aesthetically, both still and in motion. There were some minor downsides. An underwater level was a bit finicky to control - similarly an air level which felt like it controlled almost the same as the underwater level, and as mentioned there were some strict time constraints in a couple of spots which made me thankful that I was emulating so I could use save states rather than replaying lengthy sections in full that could have become even more frustrating. But all in all, Drill Dozer was a great time. The whole experience was a bit under 8 hours, but I did replay a couple levels looking for things, so it could probably be finished in a bit less time. Anyone looking for something a bit different in the platformer genre would likely find themselves pleased here. A solid 4/5.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

DRILL DOZER, YES!!!!!!

Oh man izzy, that's a solid ass game right there. The GBA was a goddamn BEAST. I might loathe Nintendo because their... Nintendo, but their handhelds had some GOATs for sure. Astro Boy Omega Factor, the Castlevania games, my all time favorite The World Ends With You...I mean, every Kingdom Hearts game they produced were trash which is why I bought the systems to begin with but I played so many others that were worth it. Drill Dozer was so dang fun...

Keep it up izzy, your making me want to go retro in the best way :D !
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:42 am The World Ends With You...
I've never hear you mention this game before. So you like it? :P Yeah, the GBA was/is awesome. Sprinkle in some retro with your modern this year and I'll try to sprinkle in some modern with my retro. "You got peanut butter on my chocolate." :P

7) The Curious Expedition (PC)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sometimes you run across a game that immediately catches your attention and you're sure that it will tickle your fancy, even without seeing much in the way of gameplay or having much knowledge of the nuts and bolts. Call it intuition or instinct, but sometimes you just know. Occasionally your spider-sense can mislead you, of course, but for me, it's almost always right. I encountered such a game a few years ago that caught my eye in the form of The Curious Expedition, a game in the vein of the old Oregon Trail, but with more depth, difficulty and modernization. And I finally got around to playing it - some last year and wrapping up my opinion of it in 2021.

The crux of the experience is that you choose an historical adventurer/personality from a list of real-world characters ranging from Nikola Tesla to Grigori Rasputin. (There are 20 in total, plus some secret characters, most of which must be unlocked through in-game accomplishments) Once you've selected your avatar, replete with their own unique set of starting equipment and characteristics/abilities, you find that you are on a six-legged race against 4 other (chosen at random) adventurers and teams in a quest to find 6 golden pyramids in different regions all while accumulating as much loot and renown as you can. Prior to each leg of the adventure you recruit companions (human and/or beast of burden) to aid you on your journey and purchase - if you are fortunate enough to have accumulated any money - additional supplies that you think you will need based on the climate/region you have chosen for this section of your trek to fame.

Once your ship reaches land, off you go. The initial maps are smaller and easier while they get progressively larger and more ruthless the closer you get to finishing the overall race. You make your way by clicking on a segment of unexplored map and simply indicate that you are ready to travel. As you go, your visibility opens up additional points of interest which you can explore or ignore as you see fit. Your must account for your adventurers' sanity as you make your way forward, a condition that is consistently being depleted through the hardship of this dangerous adventure, reflected through simple movement over the terrain and or encounters with both living and non-living threats in the environment. You have a compass to point you to your ultimate destination (the golden pyramid) on each map, but it tends to swing loosely and not entirely accurately, so you've just got a general feel – you hope - for which way to navigate. (You can potentially upgrade the compass accuracy, along with other attributes through a selection of perks offered at the end of each leg of the adventure.)

On the way to that destination, you'll want to accumulate fame through the acquisition of relics and artifacts from the land. You'll find shrines and treasure maps that lead to buried treasure, native villages that might posses idols along with a variety of other opportunities to qualify your adventure as successful and better than your opponents. But with all this loot and glory to be found there are associated risks. If you take something precious from an ancient temple altar, expect to be greeted with some resistance, à la Indiana Jones. You may find the terrain around you sinking into the abyss, catching on fire or all other manner of threat as the price for your precious reputation, and this resultant shifting landscape, or other consequence, can drastically impact your plans. In addition to those risks, you may find yourself fighting wildlife, dealing with cannibals (even from your own sanity-compromised recruits), companions going into crevices within caves, per your instructions, never to return (costing you their carry ability, etc.), being followed and threatened by indigenous peoples, running out of water and/or food, and so much more. There are so many variables to what can happen, and within that format, it does an excellent job of imparting a sense of a dangerous and exciting adventure, and each new expedition feels very different in terms of how things play out.

In terms of the difficulty - even normal can be absolutely unforgiving. Sometimes you just get RNG'd into oblivion, and you're left feeling pretty helpless. With practice and experience it becomes a bit easier to forecast how you might approach various scenarios, but you will never feel like you're very far removed from catastrophe, appropriately enough on adventures into the unknown wilds. Inventory issues can also be a real concern with some characters early on, and you end up having to discard things you really need or be forced to trudge along (very) slowly due to being over-encumbered, which rapidly depletes necessary supplies and is likely and ultimately a death sentence, albeit of a slower creep. Also much of the game is not explained clearly in-game which was sometimes frustrating. Combat, for example, plays out in a type of dice-roll exchange, but the way all these things interacted wasn't immediately obvious. And there are some items and scenarios in-game that would probably never be understood without consulting an external wiki. But, through trial and error and a bit of help, things become clear. Experience on adventures, if you survive, is always a great teacher.

All things considered, I had a really good time with The Curious Expedition. It had a simple but charming graphical style that conveyed the idea of being on an adventure quite well, and there was a continuous sense of risk vs reward along with lots of randomness, bringing everything together to impart the sense of adventure that I imagine the developers were going for. There were many little stories that naturally developed as you made your way forward on each expedition, and I really felt like I was going on this dramatic quest with these little explorers. It falls short of being an all-time classic for me, but my instincts were right that it would be up my alley. A solid 4/5, an easy recommendation, and a game that I can see myself returning to from time to time over the years.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

The Curious Expedition sounds interesting - I'll add it to my list!
isthatallyougot

6) Legend of Legaia (PS1)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

JRPG's are a genre I enjoy, but have mixed feelings about. When they are really good to me (think SMT Nocturne), they are some of the absolute best experiences this medium has to offer. They offer lots of content, can have compelling narratives, interesting game-play strategies and mechanics, great music, and there can just be so much to sink your teeth into. On the other hand, because of the lengthy nature of many of these titles, it can be a real time commitment. There are often inescapable random battles that interrupt the flow of exploration, the content can feel artificially inflated by a necessity to grind, and the narratives can vary wildly in quality. But I've reached a point of familiarity with this medium and as an enthusiast of this hobby that I'm comfortable putting something down reasonably quickly if it's not clicking with me, and having played so much over the years, it's often fairly easy to recognize if something is worth further investment without draining too much of my free time. So, I was in the mood for a jrpg, and I remembered that I played an interesting sample of a game on a PS1 demo disc many years ago. That game was Legend of Legaia, and I decided that I wanted to see if that small taste of the game that piqued my curiosity long ago was worth fully imbibing.

For me to commit to the length of time asked from most RPGs – of any persuasion, they have to be really strong in at least one area. They don't have to be perfect, but I've got to feel consistently engaged and rewarded for my investment. I'll start with the combat here, since that's what is most unique and enjoyable about Legaia. The fundamental essence of combat is that you control your characters direction of attacks based on a meter that allows for you to choose to attack left, right, up or down until you have filled up a sequence of programmed attacks before watching them play out. Different attacks are more or less effective depending on the type of enemy. For example, you don't want to execute a low attack against a floating enemy. In addition to the fundamentals of targeted strikes, you can learn new combo moves called "Arts" through experimentation or letting the auto (attack) command execute. After having learned a new technique, it is remembered in your list of potential attacks. There are limitations to executing these more powerful attacks however, limitations in the form of something called "AP" or art points. The more powerful the attack the more AP required. You can refresh the AP you have through sustaining damage or through choosing the "Spirit" command for a party character’s turn in battle. I have to say that it was very fun discovering these attacks and watching them play out. The animations were nice, and everything had a "special" feel to these special moves.

Of course there is magic here as well, and there are many possible summons to be acquired. Certain enemies you encounter will indicate that they have a special ability, and defeating them (through hand to hand combat only - no magic can be used if you wish to acquire their summons) gives you an RNG chance at acquiring their ability. These summons were also quite varied and interesting, and also leveled up with use, making it possible to really focus on the ones you found most satisfying or effective, building your party as you saw fit. I will say that some of them were, as is often the case, fairly lengthy, and watching them play out over and over again was a bit of a time-sink in and of itself, but they were well animated and worth enjoying for the most part.

On the narrative front, it was more of a mixed bag for me. The characters had a fair bit of personality, and I enjoyed some of their exchanges, but the overall story didn't grip me as much as I would have liked. As with so many genre entries, in the quest to be "epic" the story was rather bloated and unwieldy, rather than tightly focused and intimate. There were a variety of characters - villains and heroes - with their own respective agendas, but it all boiled down to a conflict of nature vs technology, if I were to try and distill things to its core. There were too many unrelatable players on stage for my tastes. The Seru, the Ra-Seru, the Sim-Seru, gah, just simplify things and give me a more pointed, trimmed experience please. The main cast was essentially on a quest to activate the "Genesis Trees" (nature) and shut down the "Mist Generators" (technology), preventing the pollution of the world. It's far more convoluted than that, but my simple brain likes to distill things when they're clumsy or needlessly complex. I won't say that there were no enjoyable narrative beats, but the whole failed to land with impact for me despite the relatable central premise and wasn't the reason I stuck with it for the 40 or so hours it required to reach the end.

And generally speaking, Legaia, suffered from some of the other niggles I have with many genre entries in the first place. It felt necessary to grind in spots, which I didn't mind too much because of the enjoyable combat, but it sometimes could feel like busywork. On the other hand, it did provide a fairly nice challenge in terms of some of the bosses, and many of them were entertaining and fun to fight. There were also a variety of mini games from fishing to gambling along with several others, but I wasn't drawn into them too much here. The visuals were simplistic and not the best found on the PS1, but there was certainly a charm, and the aforementioned animations and summons in combat impressed enough that I was satisfied in this regard. I have a real soft spot for low poly visuals though, so your mileage may vary. Overall, there was surely more here to like than dislike, otherwise I wouldn't have stuck with it. It's probably not an absolute must-play for most genre fans, especially for the well-seasoned jrpg aficionado, but if you've played tons of them and want to venture off the beaten path a bit, I think it's fair to say that you'll find quite a bit to like here. I'm definitely happy to have played it. 4/5.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Legend of Legaia is one of my favorite PS1 JRPGs. I don’t know what I would think of it now, but back in 1998 I really liked it.