The Haul Thread 2022

canedaddy

Re: The Haul Thread 2022

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:06 pm Yes, there's something very intimate about music that is unlike anything else imho. As convenient and enjoyable as something like Spotify can be, it has a bit of a throwaway ease (like much in modern culture) that can devalue the connection to those sounds and rhythms that really resonate. We live in a world of so much content and consumption that it's sometimes hard to even notice that we might be *racing* or rapidly shifting focus (internally/mentally), and listening to records with their method of delivery, physical (warm as you mentioned) sounds and vibrations, and tactile aspects can help you slow down and *breathe*. I want to go back in time. :P
This is all true. Something was lost in the shift to CDs, and it's been crushed to death with the streaming crap. Unfortunately, I no longer own a record player or any LPs. Many were stored at a friend's house and subsequently lost (he has no idea what happened to them), and I sold the few that remained a few years ago.

The funny thing is we were all so excited to move from vinyl to CD (we won't talk about 8-track or cassettes). It was so great! Such a clean, clear sound, playable at home or in the car, and you could skip songs without lifting up a needle and risking a scratch. I thought people were nuts when vinyl reappeared, but I totally get it now.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:37 pm This is all true. Something was lost in the shift to CDs, and it's been crushed to death with the streaming crap. Unfortunately, I no longer own a record player or any LPs. Many were stored at a friend's house and subsequently lost (he has no idea what happened to them), and I sold the few that remained a few years ago.

The funny thing is we were all so excited to move from vinyl to CD (we won't talk about 8-track or cassettes). It was so great! Such a clean, clear sound, playable at home or in the car, and you could skip songs without lifting up a needle and risking a scratch. I thought people were nuts when vinyl reappeared, but I totally get it now.
As my dad always used to ponder aloud, "What *is* progress?"

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

64 cents and had good reviews and seemed interesting and with some depth. Also with a unique top-down style. Hard to pass if you enjoy racing at all for that price.

I never did pick up Fallout 4 on console and this was a good deal for the goty version. This reminded me argyle that I sometimes buy from Greenman gaming too. I didn't mention it before because it's pretty rare for me to do so. They did have some issues with some questionable keys back in the mid 2010s, but they went fully legit and show the source for every key they sell and have done so for a while. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it since you're looking for deals with that shiny new Steam Deck! ;)

I already have, and have played, the first Walking Dead on PS3, but I got this as a part of a sub $5 bundle, so I figured I'd get the sequel.

I already had the first Deponia, but these were also part of that sub $5 bundle.

Oldies, but again, part of that $5 bundle, and Ive never played any of them, so I figured I'd give it a go for so cheap.

I've played Fallout 3 on PS3 and even have the collector's lunch box edition and the goty edition on that console, but this was cheap for the PC goty, so I bit. And I had Risen 1 & 3 but never picked up 2 for some reason, so I figured I'd get it since I enjoyed ELEX so much and want to enjoy some more PB games at some point.

October humble choice. $9.85

Pretty good bundle this month with choice. One of their better recent ones.

This was the receipt for that cheap fanatical bundle. Pretty good for 14 games. I'm sure I'll enjoy some of that stuff.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:37 pmSomething was lost in the shift to CDs, and it's been crushed to death with the streaming crap.
I personally think that something was gained in the shift to CDs from cassettes, CDs are the best physical format for music IMO. Vinyl is second best. I don’t think that anyone would argue that 8-track tapes or cassettes are superior to either of those formats. :P However, I agree that something was lost in the shift to downloading and streaming music. Like izzy said, it has made music seem more disposable which it unfortunately has. It has devalued music quite substantially to the point where a lot of people don’t even seem to have an interest in it anymore. Music has always been one of my favorite things in life, and it simply baffles me how so many people seem like they can take it or leave it these days.
canedaddy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:37 pmThe funny thing is we were all so excited to move from vinyl to CD (we won't talk about 8-track or cassettes). It was so great! Such a clean, clear sound, playable at home or in the car, and you could skip songs without lifting up a needle and risking a scratch. I thought people were nuts when vinyl reappeared, but I totally get it now.
I totally get the appeal of vinyl, some of my fondest childhood memories of music are from listening to my parents vinyl collection and my earliest albums were on vinyl. And I still feel that certain styles of music sound the best on vinyl compared to other formats. However, I listen to a lot of electronic music and CDs are the best format for it. So for me personally CDs make the most sense when it comes to music, and I’ve liked them since their introduction. I don’t have any interest in vinyl now, but I understand why a lot of other people do.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:26 pmImage

64 cents and had good reviews and seemed interesting and with some depth. Also with a unique top-down style. Hard to pass if you enjoy racing at all for that price.

I never did pick up Fallout 4 on console and this was a good deal for the goty version. This reminded me argyle that I sometimes buy from Greenman gaming too. I didn't mention it before because it's pretty rare for me to do so. They did have some issues with some questionable keys back in the mid 2010s, but they went fully legit and show the source for every key they sell and have done so for a while. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it since you're looking for deals with that shiny new Steam Deck! ;)

I already have, and have played, the first Walking Dead on PS3, but I got this as a part of a sub $5 bundle, so I figured I'd get the sequel.

I already had the first Deponia, but these were also part of that sub $5 bundle.

Oldies, but again, part of that $5 bundle, and Ive never played any of them, so I figured I'd give it a go for so cheap.

I've played Fallout 3 on PS3 and even have the collector's lunch box edition and the goty edition on that console, but this was cheap for the PC goty, so I bit. And I had Risen 1 & 3 but never picked up 2 for some reason, so I figured I'd get it since I enjoyed ELEX so much and want to enjoy some more PB games at some point.

October humble choice. $9.85

Pretty good bundle this month with choice. One of their better recent ones.

This was the receipt for that cheap fanatical bundle. Pretty good for 14 games. I'm sure I'll enjoy some of that stuff.
Dayum izzy, that’s an insane amount of games. :lol: Those are some great deals, and you got a lot of good stuff in those bundles. Now it’s time to get gaming again. :P
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:44 pm I personally think that something was gained in the shift to CDs from cassettes, CDs are the best physical format for music IMO. Vinyl is second best. I don’t think that anyone would argue that 8-track tapes or cassettes are superior to either of those formats. :P
Tell me about it. I have hundreds of cassettes... sigh. That hiss. :cry:
argyle

Post by argyle »

Through my reselling side-gig I have discovered that, believe it or not, there are people out there who collect old cassette tapes & some of them are worth a decent bit (more than you would think for a cassette at any rate). I don't get it, but whatever. :P

Izzy, I used to visit Green Man a long time ago but had forgotten about them, so thanks for the reminder.

Also, I got one of the best Halloween movies ever in the mail the other day:

PXL_20221018_173041682.jpg

Top that. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 am Through my reselling side-gig I have discovered that, believe it or not, there are people out there who collect old cassette tapes & some of them are worth a decent bit (more than you would think for a cassette at any rate). I don't get it, but whatever. :P
:shock: I'm sitting on a goldmine! :P
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 am
Also, I got one of the best Halloween movies ever in the mail the other day:

You're welcome. I have a ridiculously complicated history of love/hate with this dumbass ball of cheese, one of the best bad movies of the 80's :) .
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:05 am
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 amAlso, I got one of the best Halloween movies ever in the mail the other day:

You're welcome. I have a ridiculously complicated history of love/hate with this dumbass ball of cheese, one of the best bad movies of the 80's :) .
I never even heard of this movie, and I grew up in the 80s. It looks hilariously bad even for a bad 80s teen movie. :lol: The main star is the girl from The Karate Kid Part III, I don’t think that I’ve ever seen her in anything else other than that.