Ary and the Secret of Seasons
Gunborg: Dark Matters
Relicta
Spaceland
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
argyle

Re: The Haul Thread 2022

Post by argyle »

So 2-3 weeks ago I noticed that my Xbox Pro controller had developed a "rattle". Still worked fine, but this wasn't a cheap controller so it was upsetting. I looked online to see if anyone else had had this problem & discovered that it's somewhat common & not that big of a deal - basically, the front faceplate is held on with several plastic clips (more than necessary) and sometimes one of these would somehow break off & rattle around inside. You just had to take off the faceplate & shake it out. The faceplate was supposedly pretty hard to take off the first time tho, since it was also held on with some industrial "tape".

So I looked up a video to see what was the best way to remove the faceplate. The video I hit was actually from a company that sold replacement faceplates so you could customize the controller, and I thought, "Hey, since I have to open it anyway why not get something more out of it?". So I looked them up on Amazon & found a really nice iridescent blue/purple faceplate. Then I saw that they also sold matching replacement buttons.

It was here that I made my most critical error in judgment.

In for a penny, in for a pound, right? So I ordered the faceplate & buttons, and they came in late last week. I decided that I was going to replace everything this past weekend. So Sat night I decided to get started. I pulled up the company's video on how to replace the buttons and noticed that it was kinda long (20+ mins) but figured that they're usually overly thorough in these things so I didn't think much of it. About a quarter into the process I began thinking that maybe this was a mistake. A little further, and I was really regretting my life choices. You had to pretty much *completely* take the controller apart to replace the buttons. Not only that, but a few of the steps were more difficult than the video showed. I had to stop & try to figure out why some of the parts weren't coming off as easily as they showed only to discover they either left out a step or something had changed since the video was made. By the time I knew this was way more than I had bargained for I was too far in to turn back. There were parts that fell out that freaked me out a couple of times, several times that I was convinced I'd never get it back together and if I did it would certainly never work right, and plenty of wailing & gnashing of teeth. But finally, FINALLY, I got it back together and everything worked perfectly. I would never do this process again, but I have to admit - it sure is pretty:

PXL_20221114_020424515.jpg
PXL_20221114_020400571.jpg
PXL_20221114_020345405.jpg
PXL_20221114_020323672.jpg
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Wow. Yeah, it is pretty... I applaud your bold risk-taking and follow-through. :)
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Nice looking controller argyle.

I remember taking apart a PS2 controller that was giving me trouble and fixing it years ago. It made me a bit nervous, but I figured it was a better option than buying a new one if I could get it working right again - and I did. I'm sure the innards and reconstruction vary quite a bit from controller to controller. But I *hate* that feeling when you know you've slipped into the quicksand of a project that was far more than you were expecting going in. That expectation vs reality cold water splash is jolting. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I have two PS4 controllers and both have seen better days. One isn't responsive anymore and the other has a sticky X button. Does anybody know if the latter is an easy fix?
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:20 am I have two PS4 controllers and both have seen better days. One isn't responsive anymore and the other has a sticky X button. Does anybody know if the latter is an easy fix?
Sticky buttons are an easy fix, minus the assembly / disassembly potentially. You may not even have to take it apart. But if you clean the button (and crevices) with some alcohol and maybe use a bit of graphite, it seems to work well. I've done that for a sticky button in the past. Lots of dry lubricants (like baby powder, etc) would probably work in small amounts.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Thanks! I'll try that.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

PS4 digital games
Amazing Princess Sarah
Dragon Audit
Phaseknox