Sword of Elpisia
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 209: 1/1/22: New Year Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Lost Judgment

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Maneater Truth Quest DLC

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 39 games

Happy New Year! Hope 2022 is amazing for everyone!

Lost Judgment is in the books, great game. The story is centered on school bullying, which is both an interesting/relevant/current premise and one that is also kinda weird (moreso the former). I think my final time was 72:05 with about 75% completion for the TownGo items. I'll expand these thoughts in my Top Ten thread, whenever that goes up lol.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm really enjoying The Fractured But Whole. Not surprising as authentic as it is to the show. I don't know how long it is, but I've played several hours.

I'm also really enjoying :The Longing:. Such an interesting and curiosity-provoking, moody experience. I still have 390+ days until I can awaken the king, but I've found several methods to speed up time, but I'm enjoying the wait/anticipation, so I'm not sure how much I'll use them.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:24 am I'm really enjoying The Fractured But Whole. Not surprising as authentic as it is to the show. I don't know how long it is, but I've played several hours.
Yeah, it's a great game. Both South Park games are great, I loved playing them.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: DMC 5: Special Edition, Spacebase Startopia, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom Reydrated (b2g1)

Last week: Finished nothing, played mainly Like A Dragon

This week: Like A Dragon

I freakin' love Like A Dragon. Just...everything about it. The characters, the gameplay, the storyline - everything. I'm in chapter 4 right now I believe - the chapter where the game really opens up. Doing as much side stuff as I can, and just loving every minute of it. Excellent game to start the new year with. :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m still playing and enjoying Far Cry 6, but it’s another Ubisoft big open world game packed with content that despite playing it for hours upon hours I still feel like I’ve barely put a dent in it. There’s a staggering amount of optional side content, but unlike in a lot of other similar games I actually want to do the majority of it. I usually ignore a good amount of side content in these types of games because I find a lot of it to be uninteresting repeated filler, but that’s not really the case with this game as a lot of it is more meaningful to the core game and lends to some great gameplay moments.

While I’m not enjoying the game quite as much as some of my other favorites within the genre such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Dragon Age Inquisition, Ghost of Tsushima, Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Mass Effect: Andromeda since it’s first person (I prefer third person) and the map/world isn’t as varied, I do like it more than Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Dying Light, Fallout 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption II and The Witcher III. I like all of those games (some more than others), but they’re somewhat lacking the fun factor that Far Cry 6 offers. I would say that it’s on par with games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Days Gone for me.
argyle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:12 pmI freakin' love Like A Dragon. Just...everything about it. The characters, the gameplay, the storyline - everything. I'm in chapter 4 right now I believe - the chapter where the game really opens up. Doing as much side stuff as I can, and just loving every minute of it.
Sounds good. I look forward to playing it, but I have Yakuza 1-6 to play first.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

argyle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:12 pm I freakin' love Like A Dragon. Just...everything about it. The characters, the gameplay, the storyline - everything. I'm in chapter 4 right now I believe - the chapter where the game really opens up. Doing as much side stuff as I can, and just loving every minute of it. Excellent game to start the new year with. :D
[thumbs_up]
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:10 am Sounds good. I look forward to playing it, but I have Yakuza 1-6 to play first.
Well, get to it! Lol
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:12 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:10 amSounds good. I look forward to playing it, but I have Yakuza 1-6 to play first.
Well, get to it! Lol
Maybe someday if Ubisoft open world games quit taking up all of my time. I still have The Division 2, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Immortals: Fenyx Rising and Watch Dogs Legion to play.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Sup fam? I currently have zero students. I hate Covid :| .

Played: DBZ Kakarot (it's a great little game in spurts I have found. I will make my way through it bit by bit in between games), Fenyx (it just isn't doing it for me. I really, really hate how jumping works which is not good for platforming puzzles and I turned it down to easy to run through the story then realized I didn't care so it just got pushed to the side. It's not the cartoony AC Odyssey I was looking for. At least that's not the vibe I am getting), and this week's winner Persona 5 Strikers (it just finally clicked with me. I will whine about it in a moment though :P )

Bought:...still nothing? 7 games in my cart, still mulling over options. Probably waiting for the second half of the sale to drop on Friday then deciding. I took Avengers out of the cart. I might wait for sub $10 at this point. Even the lure of Spider-Man couldn't get me to bite...hell, I might wait for PS + :lol: .

This week: Continuing on with P5 Strikers. Fun game.

Ok here is the problem with Strikers: the setup is the same as P5. Now, for as much as I liked that, you would think I should love it. BUT the difference is they talk just as much as they did in the last game and every single person has to talk every time something comes up. There's like 9 or 10 of them. And it's the same with each scenario. A Phantom Thief meets someone who has a palace, says how how they gone down the path this person did that they would be the same so they can relate, you go through the dungeon, send the calling card, fight the boss, said Phantom Thief helps person through their trauma by talking A LOT, back on the road to the next dungeon with the same exact setup. It's not bad, it's just formulaic and lacks the nuance of the previous game. As a direct sequel to P5 (and not Royal for reasons), it's fine. If it were an anime, this would be the summer special. Which means it would be short. Which this game is not. While it clearly won't be the 180 hour behemoth Royal was, I can easily see this reaching 45-60 hours. So while I like it and will continue and will finish, I might start skipping some cutscenes because they are bloated, fam.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Sorry to hear that, crim. Hope it's the supposedly mild omicron deal and you'll be feeling better soon.

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:10 am
argyle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:12 pmI freakin' love Like A Dragon. Just...everything about it. The characters, the gameplay, the storyline - everything. I'm in chapter 4 right now I believe - the chapter where the game really opens up. Doing as much side stuff as I can, and just loving every minute of it.
Sounds good. I look forward to playing it, but I have Yakuza 1-6 to play first.
At this point you might as well just skip to Like a Dragon. It doesn't carry on the story, as far as I know. I need to finish 6 myself before moving along.

Played recently: Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 21 (17 PS4, 4 Switch)

I did win some money in fantasy football, but not enough for a PS5, unfortunately... unless you guys know where they might be selling them for $500 rather than $700 or more on eBay or in bundles.

Instead, I'll probably just get Psychonauts 2 while it's on sale (I'm not expecting a physical version for PS4 to ever happen) and maybe a couple of other games.