The Backlog Check-in Vol. 210: 1/8/22: Duel Princess Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 210: 1/8/22: Duel Princess Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Far Cry 6

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Far Cry 6

Added: Alchemist Adventure, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Chronos: Before the Ashes, Crystal Ortha, Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance, Light Fairytale Episode 1, Light Fairytale Episode 2, Morbid: The Seven Acolytes, Natural Doctrine, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Stranded Sails: Explorers of the Cursed Islands, Toki, Torment: Tides of Numenera

I’m still playing Far Cry 6, but I’m ready to wrap it up and move onto something else at this point. It’s been fun, but admittedly a little repetitive. The big island is a bit same-y looking, and you do a lot of the same things throughout. It’s basically an FPS in an open world, and you kill a lot of enemy soldiers and blow a lot of stuff up over and over again. The story and characters have been decent enough to give an incentive to the gameplay, but being an FPS the combat isn’t very varied. It’s basically a lot of running and gunning with a little stealth here and there. I’ve completed a good amount of the side stuff, and now I’m focusing more on the story missions so that I can finish it.

Games releasing this week
Aery - Dreamscape
The Anacrusis
Astroneer
Battle Brothers
Duel Princess
Echatos
Mary Skelter 2
Mushroom Wars 2
Operation Zeta
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 210: 1/8/22: Duel Princess Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

I did it. I bought stuff...

Played: P5 Strikers (on dungeon the third :) , Rayman Legends (SHE LIKES IT, YES YES YES),...Lego Marvel Superheroes 2. I have managed to swallow my anger and just enjoy the time with the child. But I abhor these games :| .

Bought: Alright. While this won't make Phase feel some kind of way with his epic digital hauls :P , this is still a lot for me: Okami, Star Ocean R, Toki, Zombies Ate My Neighbors/Ghoul Patrol, Odallus/Oniken, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, My One Hero's Justice

Beat: Nothing

This week: P5S and some other things probably

All that was a little more than $50 so not bad. Still some other stuff in there I am going to grab like the Tekken 7 dlc and Steam World Dig 2. I am eying that Kunio Kun/Double Dragon bundle. Izzy's list has me wanting to go retro :P . Additionally, in constructing my list, I really didn't make through anything much this year. I like beating games. I miss going back every now and again. I play way way way too many massive games. I just don't have the time. It can start to feel like a grind and a slog. Sometimes I have analysis paralysis because I don't know what I want to invest time in next. Hobbies should not cause anxiety. Going to try to buckle down and play some older stuff, smaller games and whatnot.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:29 amI play way way way too many massive games. I just don't have the time. It can start to feel like a grind and a slog.
I play way too many massive games as well, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Valhalla took up a good chunk of my 2021. I have the time to play them, but (like you said) they can start to feel like a grind and a slog if they’re too long. That’s what’s happening with Far Cry 6 for me now, it just keeps going and going. I’ve pretty much had my fill of what it has to offer at this point, and want to play something else especially since I have so many other games to play. After I finish Far Cry 6 I’m going to take a break from big games, and start playing some of the smaller indies that I have.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Maneater Truth Quest DLC

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 39 games

About 60% done with Maneater DLC. The new abilities are pretty awesome though some enemies can be very tough if you aren't a high enough level. Should finish this next week.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finished up The Fracture But Whole, and it was certainly fun and funny, but it was a tick below Stick of Truth for me. There were some annoying segments that brought it down a bit, and the humor wasn't quite as varied. It was a bit *too* one note with the endless fart/butt stuff. Yeah it's funny, but mix it up a bit. Anyway, good game, but a little let down in comparisons to my expectations.

I'm also still playing The Longing, and will be doing so for the foreseeable future. I'm really lost in that world.

I also started up Skautfold : Shrouded in Sanity. It's a pretty obscure 2D Soulsborne. But the mechanics are well-done and the setting and atmosphere are interesting Also, it's the first in a 5-game pentalogy - all with differing styles. (I own the first 4) So I'm curious about the whole set of games.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Would you recommend Stick of Truth who has seen plenty of South Park but fell off many years ago?

Played recently: Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Castlevania Advance Collection

Current backlog: 22 (17 PS4, 5 Switch)
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: No More Heroes 1&2, F.I.S.T., SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays, Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Sonic Colors Ultimate, Kaze and the Wild Masks

Last week: Finished Gorogoa & Superliminal, played more Like A Dragon

This week: Definitely more LAD, but I may play something else more pick-up-and-play friendly for when I don't have time to get into an RPG

This was a trippy puzzle game week I suppose. Played both Gorogoa & Superliminal thanks to GamePass, and they were both interesting games. Gorogoa is really hard to describe. Honestly, I'd say look up a trailer. The story is either non-existent or completely non-sensical - I get the impression that they were trying to convey *something*, but I honestly couldn't even start to say what. It's a very short game, perfect for GP, but I'd say worth dropping a few bucks on for the playthrough if you can get it really cheap ($5 max, and that's a stretch, it's a single-sitting game). Superliminal is a 3d puzzler that's all about perspective, and it borrows heavily from Portal for its basic structure. It's a good game, but if I were making a 3d puzzle game I'd avoid anything that would draw direct comparisons between my game & Portal. Just sayin'. ;) It's not a long game either, but it did take me 2-3 nights to get through it and I did;t find everything. That said the last bit of it seems to go on for way too long, and I don't really have any desire to go back & find what I missed. Parts of it were really fun and clever, parts of it felt a little bit like a chore. Overall was a fun, trippy game. And now that I think about it, the thing both of these games had in common (besides just generally being puzzle games) was that they both deal with perspective, it's just that Gorogoa takes a 2D approach.

I love Like A Dragon. Like, completely LOVE it. Crim, I get why you ranked it above P5. As much as I loved that one as well, LAD seems to borrow the best bits from it and incorporate them in a more organic way. For example, you have bonds with your party members much like in P5, and you can spend time with them to increase those bonds - but it's more integrated into the gameplay, and you don't have the Persona "this is your dungeon/fight time, and this is your story/relationship time" divide. I'm taking my time with it, really exploring. I've just recently opened up the Part-Time Hero side activity(s) and weapon creation/modding, both of which add even more depth to the game with even more to do (which is already wasn't lacking). That isn't a complaint! :) The game very much follows the classic Level-5 method of introducing new elements to you one at a time and giving you time to get used to them before they hit you with something else, so you never feel overwhelmed. I'll probably be playing this one for a while, but that's ok - this will definitely be on my "best of" list this year.

The games I added this week were mostly imports that I had ordered a while back, along with a couple of Gamestop clearance titles. I traded in a bunch of stuff last week taking advantage of a rare case of overlapping Gamestop promos (which they promptly corrected the day after I traded ;) ) and got both Dying Light 2 & Elden Ring preordered & paid off, with some leftover. Those will be the next 2 things I get unless something else shows up in mail that I've forgotten about (I ordered some limited print run games last year that have had a LONG wait time, and a couple of those are still outstanding).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 am Would you recommend Stick of Truth who has seen plenty of South Park but fell off many years ago?
Yeah, I think Stick of Truth is great. I prefer the fantasy setting to the super-hero backdrop of The Fractured But Whole, to be fair, but I thought Stick of Truth was just the better game in general, both in terms of humor and mechanics. I quit watching South Park years ago too, aside from the odd episode here or there, so I'm in the same boat.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Thanks, good to know.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 amWould you recommend Stick of Truth who has seen plenty of South Park but fell off many years ago?
Yes, I haven’t watched South Park in years and I still really enjoyed The Stick of Truth.
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 amI'll probably be playing this one for a while, but that's ok - this will definitely be on my "best of" list this year.
I’m still waiting for your “best of” list from last year. :P