The Backlog Check-in Vol. 210: 1/8/22: Duel Princess Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 210: 1/8/22: Duel Princess Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I started up Red Dead Redemption 2 finally. (Has anyone other than cane played it here?)

Anyway, I love the setting, of course, and it looks phenomenal. I'm sure I'll get lost in this world just like the first, but I have a bone to pick with the designers.

I was on an early mission called "Old Friends" (I believe) and Arthur, Dutch and the gang were riding out to an enemy camp to engage with them. I spent a long trek on the way there, and then we had our battle, and then I spent time looting the bodies and the surrounding camp, and on the way back to - I presumed - the hideout and the end of the mission, I was greeted with a straggler that I was instructed to lasso. I never actually saw this guy, and I got a "Mission Failed" message immediately, it seemed. So, I thought, no big deal, I'll retry it. But the checkpoint was all the way back at the start of riding out to the enemy camp. WHY?!?! Why do I have to go through all of that again. Very poor design imho. Again, I'm sure I'll end up loving my experience with the game, but that was a really sour note early on.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:37 amI started up Red Dead Redemption 2 finally. (Has anyone other than cane played it here?)
Your memory is getting bad old man. :P

https://www.ps2backlog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:52 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:37 amI started up Red Dead Redemption 2 finally. (Has anyone other than cane played it here?)
Your memory is getting bad old man. :P

https://www.ps2backlog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58
Lol, I'm sure I it is, ha. Thanks for the link. I'll read the thread in more detail later. I think I just always associate cane with R* games because of how vocal he is about enjoying their stuff. I'm looking forward to reading the discussion. Thanks again. There aren't too many spoilers, I hope.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Far Cry 6, and the ending was disappointing IMO. I put a lot of time into playing it thoroughly, and it did a good job of making what I did feel meaningful to my ultimate goal for most of the game. However, after everything that my character did and went through throughout the course of the game I was expecting a satisfying payoff. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. The ending made everything that I did feel almost pointless. I liked the story and characters throughout for the most part, it’s just too bad that it didn’t end with a satisfying conclusion.

The game itself was big and packed with stuff to do, but the game world (while a pretty tropical island) was a bit same-y looking and the stuff that you did in it was a bit same-y as well. The game at its core is an open world shooting gallery, almost every mission devolves into shooting wave after wave of the same few enemy soldier types and maybe blowing up a helicopter and tank as well. While combat was fun for the most part, there’s also no denying that it was repetitive. The redundant nature of the game started to wear on me after a while, and I got to the point where I had my fill of what it had to offer and I wanted to wrap it up. That’s when I started to ignore a lot of the side content, and focused on the main story missions. I enjoyed my time with it for the most part as there were definitely some exciting and fun moments throughout, but it had a lot of frustrating things about it as well that unfortunately brought the overall experience down a bit.

I still feel that Far Cry 3 is the best game in the series, but I did like this more than all of the other Far Cry games. However, the current Far Cry formula has pretty much run its course and Ubisoft needs to do an Assassin’s Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla type change to the series to prevent the next game from feeling like the same game again just in another location.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Bruh. The hell Persona 5 Strikers? I spent, and this is not an exaggeration, TWO HOURS playing last night and was in ONE battle that lasted not even two minutes. If you want to make a Persona game, MAKE THAT GAME, not an action rpg with next to NO ACTION!!! They. Talk. So. MUCH. And every single of the 8-10 characters has to give their thoughts on every single situation. Your input is completely unnecessary, when they give you a chance to chime in, it has no bearing on anything than continuing the conversation. The last dungeon and setup was almost perfect. Setup, do the dungeon, clean up side quests and move on. I am really not feeling these long cutscenes. They were fun in the beginning but now I want to PLAY THE GAME. This is NOT a Persona game, hell it's barely an rpg. If you play this, skip all the cutscenes you aren't interested in. My wife said it sounded like I was just watching a movie last night. Hell, they give you TWO chances to save in between all the cutscenes before you get control back. This is an example of awful pacing. I do not have this kind of time man, I don't get two hour blocks on a weeknight all that often anymore, I want to play my game...
isthatallyougot

I looked at some of that thread that you posted about RDR2 phase, and I don't think I ever clicked on it, which would make sense as I generally try to avoid any spoilers for games I'm really looking forward to getting to one day. I'll go through it more when I'm done or close to it.

I got by that mission that surprised me with the quick fail screen. I think I was just assuming the mission was already over and not prepared for any more player agency on that particular trip.

I hope things open up and offer more freedom soon. (I imagine they do.) Because so far, it's been a deluge of endless instruction, interspersed with cut scenes and sporadic player engagement. I'm assuming this early section is just a prolonged tutorial - I hope.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:49 amI looked at some of that thread that you posted about RDR2 phase, and I don't think I ever clicked on it, which would make sense as I generally try to avoid any spoilers for games I'm really looking forward to getting to one day. I'll go through it more when I'm done or close to it.
There are no story spoilers in that thread which I stated in the first paragraph of it:
Phaseknox wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:56 pmOur impressions will be as spoiler free as possible especially when it comes to the story so that those of you not playing it can read what we think of it without anything being spoiled for you.
;)
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:49 amI hope things open up and offer more freedom soon. (I imagine they do.) Because so far, it's been a deluge of endless instruction, interspersed with cut scenes and sporadic player engagement. I'm assuming this early section is just a prolonged tutorial - I hope.
If you read my spoiler free impressions of the game in that thread then you would see that I also didn’t particularly care for how the game begins, but that I started to enjoy it more when it opens up. :P
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:40 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:49 amI looked at some of that thread that you posted about RDR2 phase, and I don't think I ever clicked on it, which would make sense as I generally try to avoid any spoilers for games I'm really looking forward to getting to one day. I'll go through it more when I'm done or close to it.
There are no story spoilers in that thread which I stated in the first paragraph of it:
Phaseknox wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:56 pmOur impressions will be as spoiler free as possible especially when it comes to the story so that those of you not playing it can read what we think of it without anything being spoiled for you.
;)
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:49 amI hope things open up and offer more freedom soon. (I imagine they do.) Because so far, it's been a deluge of endless instruction, interspersed with cut scenes and sporadic player engagement. I'm assuming this early section is just a prolonged tutorial - I hope.
If you read my spoiler free impressions of the game in that thread then you would see that I also didn’t particularly care for how the game begins, but that I started to enjoy it more when it opens up. :P
I was afraid to look at anything too close in when I opened it up, ha. I just glanced over a few words in a few posts and got scared. :P I'm glad to hear that things will be more open though.

argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 am Bruh. The hell Persona 5 Strikers? I spent, and this is not an exaggeration, TWO HOURS playing last night and was in ONE battle that lasted not even two minutes. If you want to make a Persona game, MAKE THAT GAME, not an action rpg with next to NO ACTION!!! They. Talk. So. MUCH. And every single of the 8-10 characters has to give their thoughts on every single situation. Your input is completely unnecessary, when they give you a chance to chime in, it has no bearing on anything than continuing the conversation. The last dungeon and setup was almost perfect. Setup, do the dungeon, clean up side quests and move on. I am really not feeling these long cutscenes. They were fun in the beginning but now I want to PLAY THE GAME. This is NOT a Persona game, hell it's barely an rpg. If you play this, skip all the cutscenes you aren't interested in. My wife said it sounded like I was just watching a movie last night. Hell, they give you TWO chances to save in between all the cutscenes before you get control back. This is an example of awful pacing. I do not have this kind of time man, I don't get two hour blocks on a weeknight all that often anymore, I want to play my game...
*mentally removes game from backlog*

I do not have the patience for that crap anymore. I'm with you - let me play the game. Give me story without breaking the pacing (see Like A Dragon :D ). I have too much I want to play anyway, and I'm starting to be pickier about what I spend my time playing - especially when you're talking about longer games.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis