The Backlog Check-in Vol. 211: 1/15/22: Rainbow Six Extraction Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 211: 1/15/22: Rainbow Six Extraction Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Screenshot (1055).png
Screenshot (1055).png (17.32 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
This is what I have. I honestly have no idea how good or bad that is. :lol: argyle, you're a wizard, right?

Here is what I've come up with for Xbox games I'd probably play (thanks for the assist, Phase)...

Halo series
Forza series
Gears series
Fable series
Blue Dragon
Elder Scrolls Morrowind
Jade Empire
Lost Odyssey
Sea of Thieves
The Witcher II
Crackdown
Grounded
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive
Ryse: Son of Rome

Coming:

Starfield
Elder Scrolls 6
Everwild

Oddly, there's not a single thing there that I'm really dying to play... just a lot of stuff that seems good or interesting.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I know cane sidetracked us with that Xbox talk (:P), but has anyone heard of Dysmantle? Was on PC at the end of last year and is coming to consoles tomorrow. It's like an action RPG where you can destroy everything in a post-apocalyptic world (even house walls) - when you have the right tool, that is. Might be fun. And cane, there's fishing!

https://dysmantle.com/

Unfortunately, cane, I have no legitimate advice on the Xbox or PC front. Good luck!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I stopped playing Anna’s Quest because it’s extremely slow, talk-y and has way too much to interact with and way too many things to pick up and combine together or use to solve obtuse puzzles in each area. Also, it almost seems like it was made for kids based on its art style, characters and voice acting. It’s definitely not Leisure Suit Larry (a favorite of mine from the past), that’s for sure.

Since Anna’s Quest was putting me to sleep based on how slow paced that it was, I wanted to play something more action-y so I started playing a retro 16-bit pixel art style side scrolling action platformer called Huntdown. I’ve been digging it since it’s a homage to classic arcade side scrolling action games like ESWAT, Robocop and Shinobi including 80s action movie nods like from Escape From New York. The pixel art graphics are good, and the music is cool.

The only problem that I’m having with it is that it’s a little on the hard side even on easy, especially the bosses. The difficulty will be the only reason that I quit playing if I do, because I like everything about it except for it being more challenging than I would like.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I quit playing Huntdown because I kept dying on a boss, and I had enough after several tries. I was enjoying the game and I’ll most likely play it again in the future when I’m feeling more up to retrying tough bosses over and over again until I beat them, but that time isn’t now since I have so many other games that I want to check out.

Speaking of which, I started playing Light Fairytale Episode 1. It’s a retro style turn-based JRPG with 3D graphics, fixed camera angles and cute chibi characters. It’s influenced by the original Final Fantasy VII with a similar look and feel to it. It’s a little light on combat as a big part of the game is walking around different areas of the underground city, and interacting with NPCs to progress the story.

It’s charming and cute with a decent story, and cast of characters. However, apparently it’s really short only taking a few hours to complete. I have Episode 2 as well which I’ll play after this, but it doesn’t complete the story as there’s an Episode 3 in the works that isn’t out yet.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I thought episodic stuff had gone by the wayside. I know I don't like to play games that way anymore.
jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm I know cane sidetracked us with that Xbox talk (:P), but has anyone heard of Dysmantle? Was on PC at the end of last year and is coming to consoles tomorrow. It's like an action RPG where you can destroy everything in a post-apocalyptic world (even house walls) - when you have the right tool, that is. Might be fun. And cane, there's fishing!

That looks a lot more appealing than most games in that genre. I like that they go out of their way to say you don't have to worry about starving. :lol:
jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm Unfortunately, cane, I have no legitimate advice on the Xbox or PC front. Good luck!
In the wake of Xbox's latest if-you-can't-beat-em-buy-em move, I've decided that Micro$oft can pound sand. I'm going to put that money away for whenever PS5's become available at a reasonable price. #PS4eva #fightthepower #suckitbillgates
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pmhas anyone heard of Dysmantle? Was on PC at the end of last year and is coming to consoles tomorrow. It's like an action RPG where you can destroy everything in a post-apocalyptic world (even house walls) - when you have the right tool, that is. Might be fun.
While it looks like something that I would probably enjoy, you’re forced to play as a generic male character which unfortunately is a dealbreaker for me. As you know I prefer playing as female characters in games, especially in survival RPGs like this.
canedaddy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 amI thought episodic stuff had gone by the wayside. I know I don't like to play games that way anymore.
I’m not a fan of playing games episodically, either. Any episodic games in the past I’ve always waited until all of the episodes were available before I played them. But Light Fairytale is a little indie JRPG made by only a few people, so due to their limited resources instead of spending several years to release it as a complete game they decided to release it in episodes as they work on it. Of course I would prefer to have the complete game to play through as opposed to only a couple of episodes of it, but the two episodes available were on sale at the PS Store so I bought them. They seemed like fun to play now, so I decided to go ahead and play them despite knowing that they won’t be a complete experience.
canedaddy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 amIn the wake of Xbox's latest if-you-can't-beat-em-buy-em move, I've decided that Micro$oft can pound sand. I'm going to put that money away for whenever PS5's become available at a reasonable price. #PS4eva #fightthepower #suckitbillgates
Sony Pony. :P
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm I know cane sidetracked us with that Xbox talk (:P), but has anyone heard of Dysmantle? Was on PC at the end of last year and is coming to consoles tomorrow. It's like an action RPG where you can destroy everything in a post-apocalyptic world (even house walls) - when you have the right tool, that is. Might be fun. And cane, there's fishing!

Unfortunately, cane, I have no legitimate advice on the Xbox or PC front. Good luck!
That looks like it might be fun j. Put it on my wish-list. Will wait for sub $3 or a bundle. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 am

That looks a lot more appealing than most games in that genre. I like that they go out of their way to say you don't have to worry about starving. :lol:
Yeah, a definite positive! I don't think I've played much in this genre, especially with the amount of crafting available.
canedaddy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 am
jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm Unfortunately, cane, I have no legitimate advice on the Xbox or PC front. Good luck!
In the wake of Xbox's latest if-you-can't-beat-em-buy-em move, I've decided that Micro$oft can pound sand. I'm going to put that money away for whenever PS5's become available at a reasonable price. #PS4eva #fightthepower #suckitbillgates
Don't you just love it when your mind is made up for you?
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:02 pm That looks like it might be fun j. Put it on my wish-list. Will wait for sub $3 or a bundle. :P
If I buy it, I'll give you the inside scoop. But if you get it at some point in the future for $3 or less, there isn't much risk anyway.
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 am While it looks like something that I would probably enjoy, you’re forced to play as a generic male character which unfortunately is a dealbreaker for me. As you know I prefer playing as female characters in games, especially in survival RPGs like this.
Yeah, I guess they have only showed the 1 character. Oh well, sounds like it was a small team that made this game so I'm sure decisions were made.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:28 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 am While it looks like something that I would probably enjoy, you’re forced to play as a generic male character which unfortunately is a dealbreaker for me. As you know I prefer playing as female characters in games, especially in survival RPGs like this.
Yeah, I guess they have only showed the 1 character. Oh well, sounds like it was a small team that made this game so I'm sure decisions were made.
Here’s a link to a discussion about including a female character option in the game:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/846770/d ... 850425495/

It’s nice to see so many others who feel exactly as I do about preferring to play as female protagonists in video games, but of course there’s a few assholes in that discussion mocking them for it. They say that there aren’t guys complaining about not being able to play as male characters in games like Tomb Raider or Horizon Zero Dawn which is bullshit as I’ve seen guys in message forums and on YouTube say that they won’t play a game if they have to play as a female character. And that’s why there are male character options in games like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Far Cry 6 for example where the female characters are clearly the canon characters.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 am While it looks like something that I would probably enjoy, you’re forced to play as a generic male character which unfortunately is a dealbreaker for me. As you know I prefer playing as female characters in games...

:P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!