The Backlog Check-in Vol. 212: 1/22/22: Pokémon Legends: Arceus Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 212: 1/22/22: Pokémon Legends: Arceus Edition

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:20 am I can craft a fishing rod now, just need to find the materials!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Dying Light 2? Elden Ring? Nah, this is going to be the open world action adventure game of the year:

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am Image
lmao

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played more Iconoclasts, and I’ve been enjoying it. I guess that it could be considered a Metroidvania, but it’s not just one big interconnected environment. There are different parts of the game that you get to through story progression. It has a decent amount of story, and character interaction. The core gameplay is almost a puzzle platformer, but you fight enemies and bosses as well. The boss battles have been pretty cool so far. It’s been just the right challenge on normal, but there’s an easy setting that I can drop it down to if things get harder than I would like.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:20 am Decided to buy and start Dysmantle on PS5. I like it so far, but I'm really just trying to go around, gather materials, upgrade the items I have, and not get killed by zombies...rinse and repeat. The latest mission has me branching out to other areas, so hopefully it opens up a little bit. I can craft a fishing rod now, just need to find the materials!
It's a funny coincidence that you're playing Dysmantle because I just started up Tesla vs Lovecraft last night. (same dev - 10tons ltd) Anyway Tesla vs Lovecraft is another twin-stick from 10tons, and it looks a lot better than Crimsonland - awesome particles and action, but I haven't played enough to compare what really matters. Hopefully it delivers because Crimsonland was in my top 10 last year.

Still loving RDR2 as well. What an incredible world. I wanna be a cowboy! :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am
jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:20 am I can craft a fishing rod now, just need to find the materials!
The "fishing" is just pressing a button when you hear a sound (aka get a bite) to pull the fish out of the water. No minigame or anything.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I quit playing Iconoclasts because it’s primarily a puzzle platformer, and the puzzles became too complex and intricate for me. I don’t have the patience to try and figure out puzzle solutions for long periods of time, that isn’t fun IMO. I like to figure out the occasional clever and creative puzzle in games every so often, but I don’t like the majority of my playtime in a game spent figuring out puzzles.

I started playing Bladed Fury, and it’s on the other side of the spectrum since it’s a straight forward linear 2D action game with very little else offered beyond moving and fighting. There’s been the occasional platforming moment, but so far it’s basically like a retro arcade hack-and-slash game where you move along a linear path slicing and dicing enemies. I like the art style and it plays good, but I’m not sure that it’s what I’m in the mood for right now.

If I’m being completely honest, it’s been a little difficult for me to really stick with indie and retro style games lately. They just feel a little archaic and antiquated to me. They can be fun when I’m really in the mood for them and want to take a break from bigger budget games, but bigger budget games are what I usually enjoy the most overall. My favorites being open world action adventure games, and RPGs. They’re what I really get engrossed and invested in, and can sink my teeth into.

There are three coming out next month (Dying Light 2, Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West) that I would like to play on the day of their release. Of course I can’t do that because not only are they expensive, but also because just one of them alone will take a really long time to finish. Elden Ring is the easiest one for me to pass on since it’s a Soulsborne game, but apparently its open world design structure makes it less punishing than other Soulsborne games. I’ll believe it when I see it. :P

I’m almost equally interested in Dying Light 2 and Horizon Forbidden West. Dying light 2 looks like a total blast to play despite having to play as a dude :P, and Horizon Forbidden West looks like an epic open world action adventure. Basically, I want to play them both when they come out. And since they’re both so close to release, I’ve been thinking about them a lot lately. But I realistically shouldn’t buy either of them on day one for full price since I already have so many games to play.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:49 pmIf I’m being completely honest, it’s been a little difficult for me to really stick with indie and retro style games lately.
Fixed. ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist :P)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:00 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:49 pmIf I’m being completely honest, it’s been a little difficult for me to really stick with indie and retro style games lately.
Fixed. ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist :P)
:lol:

But seriously, it’s primarily been indie and retro style games that I’ve been having a hard time sticking with lately. But that’s also what I’ve mostly been playing since finishing Far Cry 6 earlier in the month as well. I think that Watch Dogs: Legion is the only non-indie/retro game that I’ve played since then. I did finish Light Fairytale Episodes 1 and 2, though. They were fun little retro style turn-based JRPGs.

Speaking of indie/retro games, I played some more including Blazing Chrome, Bleed, Fight’N Rage, Gal*Gunvolt Burst, Metagal and Raging Justice.

Blazing Chrome is a retro style 2D pixel art side scrolling action platformer similar to Contra. While it’s kind of fun, it’s hard because you die with one hit and there’s constantly enemies shooting and rushing you. It’s a little too fast paced and “twitch” for my old man reflexes these days.

Bleed is a cute 2D side scrolling action platformer ruined by its controls. You shoot with the right stick, and jump with the R2 trigger. For a fast paced shoot and jump game with a triple jump, this control scheme SUCKS!!!!

Fight’N Rage is a retro style pixel art side scrolling beat ‘em up, and while it looks and plays pretty cool it’s really hard. It’s a co-op game, but I don’t think that they lower the amount of enemies that you fight when you play it solo because there’s onslaughts of them. The bosses are pretty tough, too.

Gal*Gunvolt Burst is a colorful and cute 2D pixel art side scrolling action platformer that’s basically a Mega Man rip-off. While it plays good and has some charm, it’s unfortunately way too difficult.

Metagal is a colorful and cute 2D pixel art side scrolling action platformer that’s basically a Mega Man rip-off. While it plays good and has some charm, it’s unfortunately way too difficult.

Raging Justice is a side scrolling arcade style beat ‘em up similar to classics like Final Fight, and Streets of Rage. It has a weird art style that looks like digitized characters similar to games like Mortal Kombat and Pit Fighter, and pre-rendered backgrounds. None of the three main characters are appealing looking, they don’t look like hero characters. But despite these things, it’s still a somewhat fun beat ‘em up.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Raging Justice, it was an average and repetitive retro style arcade beat ‘em up. You move from left to right fighting the same few enemies over and over again throughout the entire game. Only the environment graphics change a little as you progress. The combat was a little fun, but the game wasn’t anywhere near as good as the games that it was influenced by.

I started playing Furwind, and Ghoulboy. I like Furwind so far, it’s a colorful 2D pixel art side scrolling action platformer with semi-explorable levels.

Ghoulboy on the other hand isn’t so great. It’s an 8-bit 2D pixel art linear and straight forward action platformer influenced by Ghosts ‘n Goblins, but not nearly as good. It plays ok, but is really difficult. Some of the platforming is just ridiculous how hard that it is. I got frustrated fairly quickly, and quit.