The Backlog Check-in Vol. 213: 1/29/22: Dying Light 2: Stay Human Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 213: 1/29/22: Dying Light 2: Stay Human Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:01 pmBruh, Sony just bought Bungie.
Yeah, I heard and I couldn’t care less. If they bought Atlus, Bandai Namco, Capcom, FromSoftware, Sega, or Square Enix then I might take notice, but Bungie... who cares?
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:01 pmLater fam!
That was a fast hi and bye. :lol:
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:10 pmAll this nonsense is going to make me find another hobby.
Why? None of it really matters in the grand scheme of things.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:10 pmAh, I remember when I was just "aging" instead of "old." :lol:
I turn 52 on Saturday.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:10 pmVC4 is very good so far, with one caveat. The awesome VC strategic combat is there, as is the beautiful hand-drawn art style. However, some of the story scenes are super cringe. "AHHHHH he saw my panties!" "I'm a rebellious rebel and I ain't taking no orders from the likes of you!" "He's so mysterious and cool, gushhhh!" and so on. I played VC1 and 2 and I know they had some anime moments, but I don't remember anything quite this bad.
I’m fine with anime tropes and fan service in Japanese games, so this stuff won’t bother me.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've been playing Punch Club alongside Tesla vs Lovecraft and RDR2, and it sure is addicting, but man does it feel like a grind. I love the "Rocky" premise and the whole retro-vibe with plenty of 80's era references, but it feels so draining, lol. Like climbing a mud-slide, every bit of progress results in slippage. I'm hooked and near the end, but it has been tiring in some ways, lol. An odd and unique sensation in this one for me.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m still playing SteamWorld Dig 2, and enjoying it. It’s almost like a Metroidvania, but the progression is a little more linear. It’s a colorful and cute side scrolling action platform game that’s a little slower paced than a lot of other similar games in the genre since the focus is more on exploring and figuring out how to reach destinations through digging, and less on combat which is a nice change of pace.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:29 pmI've been playing Punch Club alongside Tesla vs Lovecraft and RDR2, and it sure is addicting, but man does it feel like a grind. I love the "Rocky" premise and the whole retro-vibe with plenty of 80's era references, but it feels so draining, lol. Like climbing a mud-slide, every bit of progress results in slippage. I'm hooked and near the end, but it has been tiring in some ways, lol. An odd and unique sensation in this one for me.
I just watched a review for this, and it looks like something different and interesting which I’m always up for so I’ll buy it when it’s on sale.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:56 pm
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:10 pmAll this nonsense is going to make me find another hobby.
Why? None of it really matters in the grand scheme of things.
It depends on what you mean by "the grand scheme of things." In the grand scheme of how I partake in video gaming, it does matter if half the games are locked away on one console and half on the other. (Shut up PC Master Race Izzy :) ).
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 pm I just watched a review for this, and it looks like something different and interesting which I’m always up for so I’ll buy it when it’s on sale.
Yeah, it's great fun, despite that "grind" feeling.
canedaddy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 am It depends on what you mean by "the grand scheme of things." In the grand scheme of how I partake in video gaming, it does matter if half the games are locked away on one console and half on the other. (Shut up PC Master Race Izzy :) ).
Yeah, despite me primarily gaming on PC at this point, I agree with the idea that, in a perfect world, games should be available on as many devices as possible, generally speaking. I don't like to see any gamers "locked out" of great games because of corporate greed. It's surely annoying. I guess platform holders have an obligation to provide unique value as an enticement to lure customers, but it's surely a negative when you're a gamer and just want to play all the good games you can. Not everyone can or wants to buy so many devices.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 amIt depends on what you mean by "the grand scheme of things." In the grand scheme of how I partake in video gaming, it does matter if half the games are locked away on one console and half on the other.
I would agree if that were in fact the case, but as of right now it doesn’t appear to be since apparently games like Call of Duty will still continue to be available for PlayStation and Sony said that Bungie games will continue to be multiplatform as well. So I’m not sure how Microsoft and Sony buying these companies/studios is going to really impact us gamers if their games remain multiplatform.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

The reviews for Dying Light 2 are out, and they’re pretty good. The story appears to be the weakest aspect of it while the open city, combat, parkour and progression/skill tree all seem to be really good.

Since GameStop is offering an extra 20% (30% Pro membership) trade credit if you preorder it, I traded in some games and got enough to cover the cost of it and a little extra. I’ll be picking it up Friday, and I’ll post impressions of it after I’ve played it a bit.