The Backlog Check-in Vol. 213: 1/29/22: Dying Light 2: Stay Human Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 213: 1/29/22: Dying Light 2: Stay Human Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Baldur’s Gate, Bladed Fury, Blazing Chrome, Bleed, Fight’N Rage, Furwind, Gal*Gunvolt Burst, Ghoulboy, Iconoclasts, Metagal, Raging Justice, Romancing SaGa 2, Watch Dogs: Legion

Finished: Raging Justice

Playing: ?

Added: Nothing

I’m not feeling good, diabetes strikes again. :( I’m not sure how long that it’s going to last this time, but I won’t be doing any gaming until I start feeling better.

Games releasing this week
Ambition Record
Croc’s World Construction Kit 2
Dyna Bomb
Dying Light 2: Stay Human
Life is Strange Remastered Collection
Maglam Lord
The Sealed Ampoule
Storyteller
The Waylanders
Webbed
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 213: 1/29/22: Dying Light 2: Stay Human Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Man Tesla vs Lovecraft is rocking my world. Such a wonderful evolution of Crimsonland. I even bought the "For Science" dlc - something I never do (buy dlc, I mean) because of what it adds. It was on sale for a couple bucks anyway. Such a well-designed twin-stick with great progression and sense of empowerment. Probably not too good for blood pressure for an aging dude though, lol. I think my adrenals broke. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m feeling a little better today, so I’ll probably play something. After watching more gameplay videos of Dying Light 2, I’m kind of interested in getting it on day one. I haven’t bought a new highly anticipated game on day one since Cyberpunk 2077. If I do buy it on day one, that means that Horizon Forbidden West will have to wait. But I watched more gameplay videos of it, and I was reminded how I didn’t really care for the combat in the first game since it relied heavily on gadgets and traps as opposed to melee and shooting weapons. I think that I will enjoy Dying Light 2 more from a pure gameplay standpoint.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 pmMan Tesla vs Lovecraft is rocking my world. Such a wonderful evolution of Crimsonland. I even bought the "For Science" dlc - something I never do (buy dlc, I mean) because of what it adds. It was on sale for a couple bucks anyway. Such a well-designed twin-stick with great progression and sense of empowerment.
I’m glad that you’re enjoying it. I watched a gameplay video of it, and it looks way too fast paced and hectic for me, I just can’t play frantically paced pure action games like it anymore.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:51 am I’m glad that you’re enjoying it. I watched a gameplay video of it, and it looks way too fast paced and hectic for me, I just can’t play frantically paced pure action games like it anymore.
I probably shouldn't either. It gets me so wired - just buzzing. I have to do breath work afterwards. But man do I love that type of frenetic and chaotic action. Oh well, we live until we die. :P

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played Chasm, Odallus: The Dark Call, Oniken, SteamWorld Dig and SteamWorld Dig 2.

Chasm is great, it’s a good looking and playing 2D pixel art side scrolling Metroidvania with RPG elements.

Odallus: The Dark Call is a side scrolling action platformer with 8-bit pixel art graphics, and is a homage to classic Castlevania games. However, it’s not as good. The graphics aren’t as good as the NES Castlevania games, it plays stiff and is difficult.

Oniken is also a side scrolling action platformer with 8-bit pixel art graphics, and is a homage to the NES Ninja Gaiden games. However, it doesn’t look and play as good as them and is difficult.

SteamWorld Dig is a cute 2D side scrolling digging game with an appealing art style, but is boring IMO. You slowly dig tunnels to collect resources, and advance through mines. It’s basic, and slow paced. I heard that the sequel is better, and...

SteamWorld Dig 2 is better than the first game in almost every way. The story, main character, side characters, graphics, gameplay, level designs, etc. It’s like a proper side scrolling action platformer with the tunneling for resources like in the first game. I’m really digging it. :P

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:51 amBut I watched more gameplay videos of it, and I was reminded how I didn’t really care for the combat in the first game since it relied heavily on gadgets and traps as opposed to melee and shooting weapons.
I've been on a Horizon media blackout, but I believe they added more melee combat options in this game.

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dysmantle

Added to Backlog: Dysmantle

Current Backlog: 40 games
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:00 amI've been on a Horizon media blackout, but I believe they added more melee combat options in this game.
I’ve heard the same thing, but all of the gameplay footage that I’ve seen so far looks pretty much identical to the first game. In fact, the game in general does just taking place in different locations. I guess that’s to be expected, but I’m concerned that it’s going to feel a little too similar to the first game.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Bruh, Sony just bought Bungie. That is the absolute pettiest ish. If I have to be part of this capitalist merger/acquisition nightmare, Imma enjoy this petty, petty nonsense at least :lol: :lol: :lol:...so goddamn petty :P !

Played: DBZ Kakarot :D , DC Lego Supervillains :( , Earthbound :| .

Bought: Nothing

Beat: Nothing

Later fam!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

All this nonsense is going to make me find another hobby.

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 pm Man Tesla vs Lovecraft is rocking my world. Such a wonderful evolution of Crimsonland. I even bought the "For Science" dlc - something I never do (buy dlc, I mean) because of what it adds. It was on sale for a couple bucks anyway. Such a well-designed twin-stick with great progression and sense of empowerment. Probably not too good for blood pressure for an aging dude though, lol. I think my adrenals broke. :P
Ah, I remember when I was just "aging" instead of "old." :lol:

Played recently: Valkyria Chronicles 4

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 21 (17 PS4, 4 Switch)

VC4 is very good so far, with one caveat. The awesome VC strategic combat is there, as is the beautiful hand-drawn art style. However, some of the story scenes are super cringe. "AHHHHH he saw my panties!" "I'm a rebellious rebel and I ain't taking no orders from the likes of you!" "He's so mysterious and cool, gushhhh!" and so on. I played VC1 and 2 and I know they had some anime moments, but I don't remember anything quite this bad. (Could be my CTE wiped out that part of my memory.)
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:10 pm All this nonsense is going to make me find another hobby.
We're on the track to *all things* being owned by a single entity - the end game of capitalism. If we're not already there. Who's that in the shadows over there. :P
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:10 pm Ah, I remember when I was just "aging" instead of "old." :lol:
I think I'm there too.