The Backlog Check-in Vol. 215: 2/12/22: Horizon Forbidden West Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 215: 2/12/22: Horizon Forbidden West Edition

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:06 pm OK, serious talk. Did I or did I not post my top 10 for last year? I could *swear* I did, but after seeing Crim's I looked for the thread and don't see it. I may be losing what's left of my mind...
:lol: So nice that you fellows are starting to join me in senility.

I like that Xenoblade 3 trailer. I was going to ask about 2, but since you said you didn't finish it I'm going to assume it's not on the level of the OG (which you adored and I thought was a B-/C+ affair).
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:08 pm I like that Xenoblade 3 trailer. I was going to ask about 2, but since you said you didn't finish it I'm going to assume it's not on the level of the OG (which you adored and I thought was a B-/C+ affair).
3d7d6e62-947d-4702-bd6c-124a46eceb1d_text.gif
3d7d6e62-947d-4702-bd6c-124a46eceb1d_text.gif (184.68 KiB) Viewed 14713 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

:lol: Is it good? I have no idea.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've been having such a great time with RDR2, so much to do and see and I really get lost in the experience. In especially good looking games I tend to get a little screen-shot happy, and I gave myself a little art project. I wanted to capture the *feel* and tone of the essence of the game (from my perspective) in a singular image as best as I could. And while the game is beautiful, I was struggling to get that sensation just right with straight-up image captures, so I did a little (in-game) editing of some images until I felt like I was able to suss out what I wanted to express in that visual format. It may not be how the game makes you feel, but for me, this is the best reflection I could manage - at least thus far.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Very nice. Man that game is great...
isthatallyougot

I was thinking about how some enjoy going for 100% in games (cane and j here mostly, right?) and I wondered if anyone (anywhere) ever did everything in RDR2 without a guide - just took their time and eventually did it all. It sure would be a tall order. It's great that there is so much to do and find though. I doubt I'll feel the desire to check off every last box, but it's nice having that feeling of exploring consistently being worth it and yielding new stuff.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I seriously doubt it! It's such a massive, detailed world with so many things to find and do. Imagine just trying to collect all the cigarette cards without a guide. Heck, I was still finding new random encounters out in the wild after over 200 hours of playtime.
isthatallyougot

Wow, that's crazy. I'm close to 70 hours, so I guess I'll be finding new stuff for a long time. I haven't even started trying the treasure maps (I've only acquired 3 so far) and that was one of my favorite parts of RDR1.

Edit: I got robbed in Saint Denis the other night. These guys asked me to follow them down an alley and I *knew* it was a trap, but I figured the game would at least let me fight my way out of it, lol. Nope. Hit on the head and lost over $300. Lesson learned. :P I went out into the wilderness and sulked around with my bear-skin hat for a quite while because I felt like such an idiot.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:10 pm Wow, that's crazy. I'm close to 70 hours, so I guess I'll be finding new stuff for a long time. I haven't even started trying the treasure maps (I've only acquired 3 so far) and that was one of my favorite parts of RDR1.

Edit: I got robbed in Saint Denis the other night. These guys asked me to follow them down an alley and I *knew* it was a trap, but I figured the game would at least let me fight my way out of it, lol. Nope. Hit on the head and lost over $300. Lesson learned. :P I went out into the wilderness and sulked around with my bear-skin hat for a quite while because I felt like such an idiot.
:lol:

I can't imagine anyone trying that without a guide mainly because you'd have to scour the entire map every now and then in case there are triggers/conditions to meet for certain things. Would be exhausting, as gorgeous as the world is to roam in.
isthatallyougot

jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:34 pm I can't imagine anyone trying that without a guide mainly because you'd have to scour the entire map every now and then in case there are triggers/conditions to meet for certain things. Would be exhausting, as gorgeous as the world is to roam in.
Yeah, it would have to be your "job", lol.