The Backlog Check-in Vol. 216: 2/19/22: Elden Ring Edition

crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 216: 2/19/22: Elden Ring Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Dang fam, I had the EXACT SAME THOUGHT :lol: ! I am here for so much Darkstalkers love along with Puzzle Fighter AND Cyberbots...but would have LOVED to have Rival Schools and Project Justice. But then I figured I was just being greedy, glad I wasn't alone :) !

I sadly sold my copy of Project Justice for the DC way back when I first moved to the city on 2014. I sold all my DC fighters to make sure I had enough cash to make it through the summer for rent since I was in a fellowship program and wouldn't be able to work so it was necessary. Still have an extra copy of Tech Romancer though!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

The reviews for Elden Ring are out, and while they’re all great as expected they also say that it’s the hardest FromSoftware game yet. I had a feeling that this was going to be the case, because the brutal difficulty of their games is what their hardcore fans want.

I guess that this is yet another FromSoftware game that I’m going to have to pass on despite it looking like a great open world dark fantasy action RPG, because I’m just not up to its challenge. And to argyle who thought that it was going to be less punishing and unforgiving than previous FromSoftware games because it’s open world...

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I saw that. I'll still play it eventually... I'm assuming you can call people into your game to help you take down tough bosses if need be, as in other Souls games.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm still of the opinion that Souls games aren't necessarily difficult. They require patience, observation and, at times, persistence, and I guess that can be "difficult", but I don't see them as the hard core challenge that many seem to. Although to be fair, I'm always so engrossed with the presentation and lore that I may not perceive it the way some do. I'm not saying they are easy, but there are so many games that are much harder than Souls imho. I did think Dark Souls 3 was the most challenging in the series, but hey, I'm getting older. :P
canedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pm I saw that. I'll still play it eventually... I'm assuming you can call people into your game to help you take down tough bosses if need be, as in other Souls games.
I've still never summoned for aid in any Souls game. I don't know why I'm proud of that. :P For me, the series is very much a solo adventure. Sometimes, I'll help others, but I've only done that very rarely as well.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pmI'll still play it eventually
I won’t, I learned my lesson after playing Darks Souls 1, 2, 3 and Bloodborne that these games just aren’t for me despite liking a lot about them. I lack the skill, patience and perseverance required to play through them.
canedaddy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pmI'm assuming you can call people into your game to help you take down tough bosses if need be, as in other Souls games.
Yeah, but I personally never liked that aspect of these games as they always seem to be about isolation so playing with others in them seemed out of place to me. But I couldn’t anyway since I’ve never paid for online play which is required to do so.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:44 pmI'm still of the opinion that Souls games aren't necessarily difficult. They require patience, observation and, at times, persistence, and I guess that can be "difficult", but I don't see them as the hard core challenge that many seem to.
To me any game including enemies and bosses with extremely long health bars that take forever to whittle down and in return can kill me with one hit is something that I personally consider difficult. There are other aspects of the games that make them difficult IMO as well. If you feel differently then that’s fine, but to me these games are extremely challenging and require way more from me than I’m willing to give to something that’s meant to be entertaining. Getting aggravated, angry and frustrated isn’t my idea of entertaining, but that’s just me.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:31 pm To me any game including enemies and bosses with extremely long health bars that take forever to whittle down and in return can kill me with one hit is something that I personally consider difficult. There are other aspects of the games that make them difficult IMO as well. If you feel differently then that’s fine, but to me these games are extremely challenging and require way more from me than I’m willing to give to something that’s meant to be entertaining. Getting aggravated, angry and frustrated isn’t my idea of entertaining, but that’s just me.
I understand that perspective. I think that honestly for me the games don't feel difficult in the traditional sense because I'm so absorbed, like I mentioned. The love to frustration balance is tilted so heavily to the "love" side of the scales that I simply don't feel a burden from the challenges on offer. Rather, I'm invigorated and even further engaged. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's the best way I can express it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Izzy...I love you bruh. I buy every Bandai Namco game. I ain't touching them Dark/Demon Souls borne things. I tried Bloodborne. I just can't. I tried Demon's way back. I ain't doing it. Nope. I refuse. They are too much...

So I say all that to say I downloaded Sakura Wars again. It's mad pink flowers everywhere and whatnot. I think it's just musicals and steam powered adorable mechs. It has a delightful theme song. It's all the anime tropes. was bored last time I tried but now that I have the space, I will give it exactly one more go. DBZ Kakarot won me over after a second shot. Why not with this one ;) ?
argyle

Post by argyle »

I was dabbling with RDR2 a little more the past couple of nights or so just to have something to play until Friday. For some reason, I just have the hardest time wrapping my head around the controls in that game. Everything just feels "clunky" to me - I fumble with the controls when trying to do almost anything. Not sure if it's me or the game or what. Then last night I was walking around the first town you're in and just messing with the antagonize button. I insulted 3 different people, then it pops up that I'm wanted for "disturbing the peace". Huh? I'm sorry, but I don't want to live in a world where it's illegal to tell someone they're a moron. :P

I've heard several people say that Elden Ring is both the hardest & easiest From game yet, just depending on how you choose to play it. Regardless I'm gonna play it & find out for myself. I absolutely love their world building and very unique take on dark fantasy, so I'm hoping this is one I click with (like Bloodborne, which up to now is the only SoulsBorne game I've finished).

Speaking of their games...J, I know you like to watch the GDQ stuff, did you see the guy run Sekiro blindfolded this year? If not, you need to look that one up - it's amazing.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Traveling with the wife to the west coast so all Vita and 3DS gaming till Monday. At least I will get through Steamworld Dig 2 and make some headway in Earthbound...or DQ8 when Earthbound annoys me :P .
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:57 amI was dabbling with RDR2 a little more the past couple of nights or so just to have something to play until Friday. For some reason, I just have the hardest time wrapping my head around the controls in that game. Everything just feels "clunky" to me - I fumble with the controls when trying to do almost anything. Not sure if it's me or the game or what. Then last night I was walking around the first town you're in and just messing with the antagonize button. I insulted 3 different people, then it pops up that I'm wanted for "disturbing the peace". Huh? I'm sorry, but I don't want to live in a world where it's illegal to tell someone they're a moron. :P
It definitely plays clunky, heavy and sluggish which was one of my complaints with it. Another one of my complaints was with how easily that you become wanted in towns, if you look at someone the wrong way you become wanted and the law is on you instantly. I also disliked how if you shot someone in self defense you were wanted for murder. The wanted system is too sensitive, and unrealistic. The game overall failed to really click with me in general, and I found it to be a little disappointing compared to the first game. I liked it enough to finish it, but that was about it.
argyle wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:57 amI've heard several people say that Elden Ring is both the hardest & easiest From game yet, just depending on how you choose to play it. Regardless I'm gonna play it & find out for myself. I absolutely love their world building and very unique take on dark fantasy, so I'm hoping this is one I click with (like Bloodborne, which up to now is the only SoulsBorne game I've finished).
I watched a lot of video reviews and some said that it’s a little easier than previous FromSoftware games depending on how you approach it, some said that it’s just as hard and some said that it’s harder. I want to hear what you think, because we’re usually on the same page when it comes to games.

Everything about Elden Ring looks impressive to me so I’m still interested in it, but I’m afraid that I’m going to find it just as frustratingly difficult as the other FromSoftware Soulsborne games that I’ve played.

I didn’t know that you finished Bloodborne, so perhaps you’ll be fine with Elden Ring’s difficulty. I always struggle with the bosses in these games to the point where I give up, and I think that it will be the same for me in Elden Ring as well.
argyle wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:57 amSpeaking of their games...J, I know you like to watch the GDQ stuff, did you see the guy run Sekiro blindfolded this year? If not, you need to look that one up - it's amazing.