The Backlog Check-in Vol. 216: 2/19/22: Elden Ring Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 216: 2/19/22: Elden Ring Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Horizon Forbidden West, Ikenfell

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn

Added: Arietta of Spirits, Hob, Horizon Forbidden West, The Last Stand: Aftermath, PGA Tour 2K21, Remnant: From the Ashes, Silver Chains, The Suicide of Rachel Foster, Tears of Avia

I played about four hours of Horizon Forbidden West completing its beginning linear prologue/tutorial, and exploring a little of its open world after that. The graphics are some of the best that I’ve seen for a PS4 game, it’s extremely detailed with impressive lighting and visual effects. The music is really good, too. I was enjoying it, but being a direct continuation to the first game I was feeling a little lost in terms of story and characters since it’s been years since I played the original. It got me in the mood to play the first game again, so I started it and I’m enjoying it more this time than I originally did. It’s just clicking with me more this time than it did before. And it’s still impressive looking, and plays really good. I’m going to play through it, and then play Horizon Forbidden West after I finish it.

Games releasing this week
Assetto Corsa: Competizione
Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream
Blue Prince
Destiny 2: The Witch Queen
Elden Ring
Grid Legends
Light Up the Room
Martha is Dead
Monark
Monster Crown
Moto Roader MC
Sol Cresta
Tux and Fanny
Variable Barricade
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 216: 2/19/22: Elden Ring Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Dysmantle (story)

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Horizon: Forbidden West

Added to Backlog: Horizon: Forbidden West

Current Backlog: 40 games

Currently about 10.5 hours into Horizon and it's...awesome! I couldn't remember A LOT about the first game, but all I seemed to need was the recap video and off I went with just the info it provided. And, of course, I've already gotten distracted with side quests and exploration!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I started playing something (alongside RDR2 and a couple others) that I'd been wanting to try out for a long, long time. Unreal World was initially released in 1992 and it's still getting updated to this day. For any who aren't familiar, it's a survival game set in the far North. (Scandinavia-like. The developer is Finnish.) The graphics are rudimentary, understandably given its time of origin, and the controls take some acclimating, but there's a ton of depth and I really love survival games. I've only played a little over an hour, but it seems to be up my alley and have a lot of potential. We'll see.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:41 pmCurrently about 10.5 hours into Horizon and it's...awesome!
You’ve played quite a bit already, glad to see you enjoying it so much.
jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:41 pmI couldn't remember A LOT about the first game, but all I seemed to need was the recap video and off I went with just the info it provided.
I was thinking about watching a story recap video of the first game, but decided to replay it instead since I knew that I would enjoy the overall experience of Horizon Forbidden West more if I did. It also gives me an excuse to play The Frozen Wilds expansion which I didn’t the first time that I played it.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Glad you all are digging Horizon so far.

Played recently: Valkyria Chronicles 4

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 21 (17 PS4, 4 Switch)

Still playing VC4 and still having a great time. The gameplay is perfect to me, and the story has had some interesting twists. I wonder if this is the last of these we'll ever get... probably. :cry:
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing

Last week: Finished nothing, played Infernax, Deedlit In Wonder Labyrinth, Bejeweled 3

This week: Dabbling with some things until Elden Ring comes out Friday.

I had Horizon preordered, but I'm not going to play it until I get a PS5 and since that hasn't happened as of yet I figured there was no reason to buy it & let it sit on the shelf. Infernax was fun enough until they went full-on stupid and decided to replace a standard double jump with a weird vertical attack move that they then make you use for platforming over death pits. Yeah...no thank you. Deedlit is fun, but it looks like it's going to be a nasty boss fight game - we'll see.

Moved my preorder of Elden Ring to digital this weekend, because Tam wants to try it too (gameshare ftw).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: DBZ Kakarot DLC, Steamworld Dig 2,...Lego DC Supervillains :|

Beat: DBZ Kakarot first 2 DLC

Done with...for now: DBZ Kakarot. I started DLC 3 but a) they restart you at a very low level with an all new character, b) they changed up the exploration a bit so it's a bit more of a cumbersome system I don't feel like learning and c) fairly certain my boy Gohan is going to die and I am just not quite ready to deal with that emotional nut punch. They did a really good job building him up. Still love this game...will be back later this year.

Bought: External 4tb hdd, MK11 Ultimate and Outriders...because the two of them are 99+ gb A PIECE, what the hell :lol:. I started downloading a bunch of stuff again too like God of War (he has like two hours to address BOY by his name at least once or I am stopping again) and Tekken 7 because I really do want to get into fighting games again (single player modes, not competitive. I have an ego and like to think I am good at games. Plus, people...ewwwwwww). There's a bunch of stuff I would like to get into that I didn't want to rearrange the fridge for, so it was a good purchase :) .

Argyle. Real talk: For us to continue being bruhs, you need to finish Like a Dragon. I have been waiting patiently for weeks now sir. Until you beat it, we are simply bros, fam. I am judging you :P
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:19 pm Argyle. Real talk: For us to continue being bruhs, you need to finish Like a Dragon. I have been waiting patiently for weeks now sir. Until you beat it, we are simply bros, fam. I am judging you :P
I know, I've let you down. :(

Seriously, I've been in a real funk lately - have had a really hard time focussing on much of anything (hence the not-healthy amount of Bejeweled...). Trying to find something to fight it, because I've got to get out of this hole.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh, I am super subject to these funks too argyle my friend. I think the vast majority of the fall was this for me, right when I went back to work. I was just funnin' ya, now I feels bad. My go to for 'I want to play something but can't actually focus' is Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD, so it's not just you, bruh. It's literally the only reason I have PS Now (thank GOD Capcom is rereleasing it this June as part of the fighting game collection so I can dump PS Now). Something about dem brightly colored jewels and splosions chill me out too. Even when I know I could be better focusing my time. But if that's what's doing it for you, as long as you're doing you, it's all good. I hope you get your groove back fam ;) !
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:41 pm Oh, I am super subject to these funks too argyle my friend. I think the vast majority of the fall was this for me, right when I went back to work. I was just funnin' ya, now I feels bad. My go to for 'I want to play something but can't actually focus' is Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD, so it's not just you, bruh. It's literally the only reason I have PS Now (thank GOD Capcom is rereleasing it this June as part of the fighting game collection so I can dump PS Now). Something about dem brightly colored jewels and splosions chill me out too. Even when I know I could be better focusing my time. But if that's what's doing it for you, as long as you're doing you, it's all good. I hope you get your groove back fam ;) !
'preciate it, and I know you're just kidding around - no harm/no foul. :) I saw that announcement today - Puzzle Fighter + the Darkstalkers games makes that set a must-have for me. They COULD have tossed the 2 Rival Schools games in there too, but I'll take what I can get. ;)