The Backlog Check-in Vol. 218: 3/5/22: WWE 2K22 Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 218: 3/5/22: WWE 2K22 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:52 pm After finishing Tormented Souls I was still in a classic survival horror mood, so I started playing Resident Evil Remake. It still holds up today, and I’m enjoying it. I plan on playing Resident Evil Remake 2 and 3 after it.
I've had Tormented Souls on my steam wishlist for a while. Seems like it's worth playing. I love REmake too. Still gorgeous all these years later.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:02 pm I’ve been watching a lot of gameplay streams and videos of Elden Ring, and while it looks really cool some of the bosses look absolutely brutal which I was worried about. The open world design structure allows you to explore and find/obtain better gear/weapons and farm less challenging enemies to obtain runes to level up your character so that you can progressively tackle tougher areas and bosses, but some bosses still seem insanely difficult more so than I personally think that I would have the patience to deal with despite making my character stronger.

The game is apparently massive in size and scope, and is a major undertaking to explore and improve your character for the tougher areas and bosses. I think that would be good for someone like you who doesn’t have a big backlog of games to play and wants to devote the type of time needed to finish a single game of this magnitude, but I have 600+ games waiting to be played so it’s not really something that I’m ready to play anytime soon if ever at all.

As for your question about the NPCs in the world, based on what I’ve seen of the game there are some human characters that you interact with and get quests from. Not to the degree of other open world RPGs with bustling towns and such, but enough to where it’s not strictly populated with only enemies, creatures and monsters everywhere. However, the story elements and character interactions seem to be fairly sparse like they are in other FromSoftware games. I guess that’s another turnoff for me as I like a lot of story and character interaction in my RPGs. You also play as a silent protagonist which I don’t like, I like playing as a voiced character with emotion and personality so that I feel like I’m playing as an actual person instead of as a video game avatar.

Of course argyle will be able to give a better assessment of the game since he’s actually playing it which is different from watching gameplay streams and videos of it, but based on what I’ve seen of it it’s essentially Dark Souls with an open world which is either considered a good or bad thing depending on the individual.
Thanks for your input. That part about the NPCs and story elements/character interactions is why I'm on the fence. I love an open world RPG and I'm not too worried about the difficulty. It's just a matter of whether it's a world I'd enjoy exploring. This is probably just a me thing, but if the world is all creatures and creeps with no "regular" people to interact with, it's much less appealing. I like an open world that at least offers some glimmer of ... I don't know, humanity? Hope? If every encounter with another being is either something you run from or something you kill (or kills you), it's a bit bleak, almost like a horror game. Bloodborne was like that, but it was largely a linear affair and getting through the gothic darkness was what it was all about. I don't think I want a similar sensation in a giant open world.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:59 amI've had Tormented Souls on my steam wishlist for a while. Seems like it's worth playing.
It’s one of the best classic style survival horror games that I’ve played in a while, I think that you will like it.
canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:13 pmThat part about the NPCs and story elements/character interactions is why I'm on the fence. I love an open world RPG and I'm not too worried about the difficulty. It's just a matter of whether it's a world I'd enjoy exploring. This is probably just a me thing, but if the world is all creatures and creeps with no "regular" people to interact with, it's much less appealing. I like an open world that at least offers some glimmer of ... I don't know, humanity? Hope? If every encounter with another being is either something you run from or something you kill (or kills you), it's a bit bleak, almost like a horror game. Bloodborne was like that, but it was largely a linear affair and getting through the gothic darkness was what it was all about. I don't think I want a similar sensation in a giant open world.
I agree, I didn’t even really like the lack of story, characterization and character interaction in Bloodborne. But like you said, it was more acceptable since it was a fairly linear affair. I’ve watched a lot of Elden Ring gameplay streams and videos, and other than for a few NPCs sparsely populating the world the game just seems to be enemies, creatures and monsters out to kill you. I was hoping that with George R.R. Martin doing its story that the story and character aspects of it were going to be a big part of the experience making it feel a little more like a traditional RPG, but unfortunately that doesn’t appear to be the case. It just seems to be you playing as a voiceless avatar killing things out to kill you with only obscure reasons given as to why. And that’s perfectly fine for people who strictly want to play for the core gameplay and to overcome the challenges that it presents without any real narrative or character development, but for me I personally need story and character development/interaction in RPGs to give me a sense of reason for what I’m doing and to keep me interested and invested in them. I don’t really require these things in more linear action type games, but in big sprawling open world adventure games and RPGs I do.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 am It’s one of the best classic style survival horror games that I’ve played in a while, I think that you will like it.
Alisa is another one I've got my eye on and am going to pick up at some point. It's more in the PS1/lower poly aesthetic, but I think it will be really good. It has really positive reviews.
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 am I agree, I didn’t even really like the lack of story, characterization and character interaction in Bloodborne. But like you said, it was more acceptable since it was a fairly linear affair. I’ve watched a lot of Elden Ring gameplay streams and videos, and other than for a few NPCs sparsely populating the world the game just seems to be enemies, creatures and monsters out to kill you. I was hoping that with George R.R. Martin doing its story that the story and character aspects of it were going to be a big part of the experience making it feel a little more like a traditional RPG, but unfortunately that doesn’t appear to be the case. It just seems to be you playing as a voiceless avatar killing things out to kill you with only obscure reasons given as to why. And that’s perfectly fine for people who strictly want to play for the core gameplay and to overcome the challenges that it presents without any real narrative or character development, but for me I personally need story and character development/interaction in RPGs to give me a sense of reason for what I’m doing and to keep me interested and invested in them. I don’t really require these things in more linear action type games, but in big sprawling open world adventure games and RPGs I do.
I don't know how you spoil yourself, ha! :P Granted, you're not certain you'll enjoy it, so I get it. I will say that the narrative in Souls games is always more subtle and up to player engagement/digging. It's always there, it's just not delivered in a way that will interfere with gameplay/player agency. Personally, I *love* that, obviously, but I understand those who prefer a more traditional method of narrative delivery. For me, the atmosphere always makes up for it, and it tells far more of a story in *tone* and atmosphere than most games manage to deliver with endless exposition, and that's not even considering the details that are always there for the curious. But, different strokes...

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:37 am
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 amIt’s one of the best classic style survival horror games that I’ve played in a while, I think that you will like it.
Alisa is another one I've got my eye on and am going to pick up at some point. It's more in the PS1/lower poly aesthetic, but I think it will be really good. It has really positive reviews.
When I was looking up walkthrough videos on YouTube for Tormented Souls, a video review for Alisa came up in my related search results and I watched it and instantly decided to get it as it’s a like a PS1 era survival horror game. Unfortunately, it’s not available for PS4. :(
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:37 amI don't know how you spoil yourself, ha! :P Granted, you're not certain you'll enjoy it, so I get it.
I was thinking about getting the game, so I wanted to watch some gameplay streams and videos of it to see if it was something that I would like or not before spending $60 on it. I ended up watching more than I was expecting to, and saw stuff that I would have liked to have experienced for myself while playing it. I admittedly spoiled more of it than I would have liked, there’s some seriously cool looking stuff in it especially some of the enemies and bosses. The designs for some of these things are truly impressive. And I spoiled some of the locations as well, there’s some great looking environments. The art direction is superb as it usually is in FromSoftware games. I still plan on maybe getting it when it’s like $20-$30 just out of curiosity and knowing that I will like a lot of aspects of it, but I also know that it’s probably not something that I will ever finish as some of the bosses in it look downright punishing.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:37 amI will say that the narrative in Souls games is always more subtle and up to player engagement/digging. It's always there, it's just not delivered in a way that will interfere with gameplay/player agency. Personally, I *love* that, obviously, but I understand those who prefer a more traditional method of narrative delivery.
You’re right about how the narrative is delivered in Souls games, but Elden Ring isn’t a Souls game it’s a different IP. If it was Dark Souls IV then it would make more sense to me, but just because it’s developed by FromSoftware shouldn’t automatically mean that its storytelling, design structure and difficulty should be identical to Dark Souls.

When Elden Ring was originally announced having George R.R. Martin involved with it I thought that it might be a more traditional RPG in terms of storytelling and structure which FromSoftware have made in the past, but with the popularity of the Soulsborne games they’re sticking with pretty much the same exact formula now for all of their games which I personally think is a bit of a shame as they used to be more varied with their output. Now they seem to be locked into one specific type of game, and that’s probably all that we will ever see from them again moving forward. They’ll keep churning out Souls type games despite them being different IPs, and that’s unfortunate IMO because I would like to see something different from them instead of basically another iteration of a Souls game. But they have a rabid fan base now that seemingly won’t accept anything else from them, so they’re going to keep at it.

I find it a little ironic that a lot of gamers hate on Ubisoft for essentially sticking to a similar formula for most of their games, but FromSoftware gets praised for it primarily because their games are for hardcore gamers and not the masses.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:45 pm When I was looking up walkthrough videos on YouTube for Tormented Souls, a video review for Alisa came up in my related search results and I watched it and instantly decided to get it as it’s a like a PS1 era survival horror game. Unfortunately, it’s not available for PS4. :(
I know you don't want to play on pc, but this game doesn't need a high-end pc to play it. There's so many games on pc that never make it to console that it's worth it to even have a budget pc just for that stuff imho.
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:45 pm You’re right about how the narrative is delivered in Souls games, but Elden Ring isn’t a Souls game it’s a different IP. If it was Dark Souls IV then it would make more sense to me, but just because it’s developed by FromSoftware shouldn’t automatically mean that its storytelling, design structure and difficulty should be identical to Dark Souls.

When Elden Ring was originally announced having George R.R. Martin involved with it I thought that it might be a more traditional RPG in terms of storytelling and structure which FromSoftware have made in the past, but with the popularity of the Soulsborne games they’re sticking with pretty much the same exact formula now for all of their games which I personally think is a bit of a shame as they used to be more varied with their output. Now they seem to be locked into one specific type of game, and that’s probably all that we will ever see from them again moving forward. They’ll keep churning out Souls type games despite them being different IPs, and that’s unfortunate IMO because I would like to see something different from them instead of basically another iteration of a Souls game. But they have a rabid fan base now that seemingly won’t accept anything else from them, so they’re going to keep at it.

I find it a little ironic that a lot of gamers hate on Ubisoft for sticking to a similar formula for most of their games, but FromSoftware gets praised for it primarily because their games are for hardcore gamers and not the masses.
I can't blame FROM for sticking to what has become more and more successful with newer games in the franchise. And there's a difference between formulas. You can have a sh*t soup, full of chunks of sh*t :P or the finest Cajun gumbo full of textures, aromas and mouth-watering flavors. They both have a formula, but only one is worth eating. ;) :P

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Yo.

You're welcome.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:08 pmI know you don't want to play on pc, but this game doesn't need a high-end pc to play it. There's so many games on pc that never make it to console that it's worth it to even have a budget pc just for that stuff imho.
I currently have 600+ PS4 games, and still want more. I don’t need a budget PC for even more games. :P
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:08 pmI can't blame FROM for sticking to what has become more and more successful with newer games in the franchise.
I can’t really blame them from a business standpoint, but perhaps a little from a creative one.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:08 pmthere's a difference between formulas. You can have a sh*t soup, full of chunks of sh*t :P or the finest Cajun gumbo full of textures, aromas and mouth-watering flavors. They both have a formula, but only one is worth eating. ;) :P
I don’t deny that Ubisoft’s same open world design formula has started to grow a little stale at this point, but FromSoftware’s Souls formula will as well if that’s all that they continue to release without much change or difference to it. Elden Ring breathes some new life into it because it’s open world, but now where do they go with it from here without it starting to feel somewhat redundant?
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:35 pm
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:56 pm I don’t deny that Ubisoft’s same open world design formula has started to grow a little stale at this point, but FromSoftware’s Souls formula will as well if that’s all that they continue to release without much change or difference to it. Elden Ring breathes some new life into it because it’s open world, but now where do they go with it from here without it starting to feel somewhat redundant?
That's fair. I mean when anything is commoditized/sold there are going to be efforts to replicate any success. That's just the nature of business. For me, at least, FROM's Souls games, despite being similar in structure, are always fresh due to the incredible art and atmosphere. I won't claim that there is *no* familiarity, because as you said there is surely a formula being repeated, but within that framework everything feels new to me each time. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but anything in life that is truly a pleasure is easy to experience again and again without suffering fatigue.

argyle

Post by argyle »

Blah blah blah I have 70+ hours in ER and still can't put it down, neither can Tam. I'd say it's a lock for my GOTY if it weren't for BotW 2 and Xeno 3 coming later this year...still, they have their work cut out for them. Best game I've played in a LONG time.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis