The Backlog Check-in Vol. 218: 3/5/22: WWE 2K22 Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 218: 3/5/22: WWE 2K22 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:43 pmBlah blah blah I have 70+ hours in ER and still can't put it down, neither can Tam. I'd say it's a lock for my GOTY if it weren't for BotW 2 and Xeno 3 coming later this year...still, they have their work cut out for them. Best game I've played in a LONG time.
I’m glad that you and Tam are really enjoying it, I never denied that it looked good just that its somewhat lack of story/character development/character interaction and its difficulty might be turnoffs for me since I like an emphasis on story and characters in RPGs, and I don’t really have the patience or skill for extremely tough bosses in games anymore which I know that Elden Ring has a lot of. I still plan on getting it at some point when it’s cheaper since I know that I will like a lot about it, but I also know that I probably won’t finish it since some of the bosses will be too challenging for me.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Just to be clear Phase, I'm 99.9% sure you WON'T like this game. And that's ok.

But Cane, I'm equally sure you WILL like it - yes, there are NPCs, and story, and even quests, but not in the traditional sense that you'd see in most open-world games these days. Saying the game is "dark souls with an open world" is very reductive - you haven't played a game like Elden Ring. You have to revisit & talk to NPCs again & again to see how they change. What you have to do for them isn't always spelled out - sometimes they will ask you to do a specific task, but even then you're not going to get a nice little marker on the map showing your destination. You have to figure it out.

The most striking thing about the game IMO is just how dense it is, and how every square inch of the map feels purposeful. They didn't copy & past anything just to say the game world was a certain size, so you never know what's around the next corner. The world is full of interesting things to discover, small dungeons, puzzles, mysterious ruins, and yes, monsters. I have 75 hours in the game now - Tam tried a few different classes before settling on one, so she has 80+ on her main & 90+ overall. DG finally got his Series X in the mail that he ordered at least a month ago, and he's been playing too. Another good friend of mine is playing it. It's extremely addictive like I haven't had a game be in a long time - it's one of those that when I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about it. Yes, it can be tough, but they give you more than enough to overcome the challenge. And it feels awesome when you do.

Basically, if anyone is thinking about picking it up, do it. You won't regret it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

All right, that is probably enough to put me over the top. Thank you sir. I saw it for $50 at Walmart yesterday and almost pulled the trigger.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:16 amJust to be clear Phase, I'm 99.9% sure you WON'T like this game. And that's ok.
Why don’t you think that I will like it? :?:
argyle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:16 amBasically, if anyone is thinking about picking it up, do it. You won't regret it.
Everyone but me apparently. :P

In other news, this game looks kick-ass:

I’m somewhat glad that the PS5 has been scarcely available, because a lot of game companies are still releasing their new games for the PS4 that they otherwise might not be if more people have moved onto the PS5 at this point.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

That does look cool. Reminds me of a PS2 game, in the good way.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:01 am
argyle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:16 amJust to be clear Phase, I'm 99.9% sure you WON'T like this game. And that's ok.
Why don’t you think that I will like it? :?:
Because of all the reasons you've said, basically. It is very tough in places and definitely requires patience and perseverance.

I don't think Crim would like it either, FWIW. ;)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

ARGYLE :shock: ... you right :P . I want absolutely nothing to do with Elden Ring. I am glad the world is over the moon for it but I'll be staying over here with my DBZ Kakarot and old ass fighting games thanks ;) .
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm sorry argyle, but I'm going to have to request a cessation on any and all Elden Ring gushing. It's too much! :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:08 pm I'm sorry argyle, but I'm going to have to request a cessation on any and all Elden Ring gushing. It's too much! :P

keep-secret-secret.gif
keep-secret-secret.gif (151.44 KiB) Viewed 14563 times

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Haha. I'm glad to hear you (and Tam and so many others) are enjoying it so much. I don't remember if you've played all of the other Souls games or not. I thought I remember you not being so enthusiastic about at least some of them, but then again, I'm turning into a forgetful old codger. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!