The Backlog Check-in Vol. 221: 3/26/22: Weird West Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 221: 3/26/22: Weird West Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance, Hunted: The Demon’s Forge

Finished: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance

Playing: Hunted: The Demon’s Forge

Added: Alienation, Distrust, Fear Effect Sedna, Hotline Miami, Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, Mordheim: City of the Damned, Nine Parchments, Scribblenauts Mega Pack, Shadow Warrior, Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Games releasing this week
Agent Intercept
Coromon
Glitchhikers: The Spaces Between
Ikai
In Nightmare
Kowloon Highschool Chronicle
Midnight Ghost Hunt
Moss: Book II
Princess Farmer
Real Heroes: Firefighter HD
Red Wings: American Aces
Shattered: Tale of the Forgotten King
Super Cyborg
Vengeful Heart
Weird West
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 221: 3/26/22: Moss: Book II Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Horizon: Forbidden West

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Horizon: Forbidden West

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

105 hours in and over 89% complete, I finally finished the last story mission in Horizon: Forbidden West. Great game, but I also really loved Zero Dawn so that was the expectation going in. The new machines were interesting, nicely designed, and sometimes tough. I appreciated the additions to the melee combat, but my approach for most battles was stealth and using bows and bow skills to deal serious damage before the fights even started. There were a few weapons I only used a couple of times...but I just put that down to the freedom available and my preferred play style. The story was enjoyable, the new tribes and their backstories/culture had clear origins (sometimes they take one tiny piece of the Old Ones' history/presence that they found and use that as the basis of everything, it's a combination of funny/strange/endearing), and I thought the side stuff was varied & fun. Overall, a definite contender for my GOTY and we'll see how God of War: Ragnarok stacks up, assuming a 2022 release.

I may work on a few more things like finding the rest of the data points, but I do have Gran Turismo 7 waiting.
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 221: 3/26/22: Weird West Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Sup fam? Been like...busy and whatnot. Have barely played anything as well. Bummer. But bought some stuff :) !

Played: Front Mission 3, Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy...Lego DC Supervillains. We have the Justice League now. Yay. :| . Oh and Adventure Pals. A level a night this past week and it's been mad pleasant :) .

Bought: Fell Seal, Catherine, Agents of Mayhem, One Piece Burning Blood, Spiritfarer, MVC Infinite (what, I still haven't bought Avengers even with Spider Man and Black Panther, leave me alone :P ), Persona Arena The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold :P , MK11 Ultimate, Outiders...I think that's it. Oh and a belt squat attachment for my rack that I just can't shut up about :) . Might grab some lever arms soon too ;) ...

Beat: Nothing.

I started MVC Infinite last night. That game is dumb, should finish it tonight. Also planning on finishing Telltale Guardians this week too. Chapter 1 could have ended on quite a note that took the series places but that they let fall flat because they chickened out. Unless they can pull the recovery like they did in The Wolf Among Us (which had the same problem but Fables is a stronger license), I can't see this being a very good Telltale outing. Shame, they could've really had something there. Oh well.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Fell Seal is dope, play that.

Played recently: Elden Ring

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 21 (17 PS4, 4 Switch)

I'm still having a fantastic time with Elden Ring. It's possible I'll become one of those people who says From has ruined other games for me. :shock: I'm Level 33, killed some bosses and hit a lot of new areas this week. Just wish I had more time to play.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:36 amBought: Fell Seal, Catherine, Agents of Mayhem, One Piece Burning Blood, Spiritfarer, MVC Infinite (what, I still haven't bought Avengers even with Spider Man and Black Panther, leave me alone :P ), Persona Arena The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold :P , MK11 Ultimate, Outiders...I think that's it.
That’s a good Phaselike haul. :D
canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:19 pmFell Seal is dope, play that.
It’s in my backlog, and I plan on playing it when I’m in the mood for a tactical RPG.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:19 pmI'm still having a fantastic time with Elden Ring. It's possible I'll become one of those people who says From has ruined other games for me. :shock:
I think that Assassin’s Creed Odyssey has kind of ruined other games for me, especially other open world games. Kassandra just might be my favorite video game character, and the game’s world, traversal gameplay and combat are some of my favorites that I’ve experienced in a game as well. I even really like the naval traveling and combat in it which I didn’t really care for in previous Assassin’s Creed games. I’ve been having a bit of a hard time sticking with other games since playing it, and despite playing through it twice last year I’ve been thinking about playing it again. :shock:
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:19 pm It's possible I'll become one of those people who says From has ruined other games for me. :shock:

Although to be fair, I would never say other games are ruined for me. I take every game I play as it is and try to appreciate it (or not) on its own merits. But if I'm comparing and contrasting, yeah, FROM sets a *really* high bar for me...soaring in the skies. :P

I'm having a really good time in Blue Fire. It's got some issues that bother me. The game could really use a map, and the combat, while functioning just fine, doesn't have the depth I would like. But to be fair, it's more of a 3-d platforming, Zelda, metroidvania Frankenstein of a thing. It's got some really strong points though. The platforming is sublime and the skill ceiling is high as you gain more abilities and just get better as a player. There's plenty of crazy verticality and horizontal gymnastics. The camera can sometimes be an issue, but 3D platforming is notorious for being a tough genre to get right. But on the whole, it's very well done, camera included. And it's a bigger game than I was expecting. Apparently speed runners can beat it in a couple of hours, but I'm 10 hours in and feel like there's tons left, but I always get lost and turned around in this type of game, taking way more time than is necessary. It's funny, because my sense of direction is amazing in real life, but in some games the world/geometry just doesn't vary enough or have really distinct differences at frequent enough intervals, and I get disoriented and find myself wandering around like an idiot. :P

Glad to hear everyone (well, the two of you playing) is loving Elden Ring. Well, argyle loves *and* hates it. :P Will I bite this year?

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:57 pm Although to be fair, I would never say other games are ruined for me. I take every game I play as it is and try to appreciate it (or not) on its own merits. But if I'm comparing and contrasting, yeah, FROM sets a *really* high bar for me...soaring in the skies. :P
Yeah, that was hyperbole, but I will say that thinking about playing, say, another Ubisoft-style check-the-box open-world game is less appealing after playing Elden Ring. It's just a deeper, more challenging and more engaging experience. Very addictive.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I stopped playing Hunted: The Demon’s Forge because I was finding it to be too linear, and repetitive. I don’t mind linear structured games, but this one is essentially running through straight and narrow environments, battling a few waves of enemies in larger arenas/rooms and then moving onto more straight and narrow environments. There’s little to no exploration off the beaten path, and the game is basically fighting enemies without anything else to it. It had the potential to be a really good action adventure game, but instead it’s primarily just a linear action game lacking depth, substance, or variety.

I started playing an 8-bit pixel art style 2D side scrolling Metroidvania called Astalon: Tears of the Earth, but it failed to really keep me interested for various reasons. While it offers retro charm and the ability to switch between three different characters that each have a unique ability to overcome certain obstacles, it all takes place in one dungeon type environment that’s made up of singular screens. Instead of scrolling through the environment, you move from one screen to the next. Each one has enemies, traps and platforming. I’m not a big fan of going through one screen of obstacles just to be presented with another, I prefer actual scrolling levels with a mix of long stretches of traversal, fighting enemies and platforming.

Now I’m playing Warhammer: Chaosbane, and it seems like a pretty good Diablo III clone so far. It’s an isometric view dungeon crawler where you kill onslaughts of enemies, and collect lots of loot. It has RPG elements too such as leveling up, and unlocking skills. The story is generic dark fantasy and there doesn’t seem to be much character development, but the graphics, gameplay and level designs are all fairly good. I’m not sure if it will hold my interest until the end, but I’m currently enjoying it.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:46 pm Now I’m playing Warhammer: Chaosbane, and it seems like a pretty good Diablo III clone so far. It’s an isometric view dungeon crawler where you kill onslaughts of enemies, and collect lots of loot. It has RPG elements too such as leveling up, and unlocking skills. The story is generic dark fantasy and there doesn’t seem to be much character development, but the graphics, gameplay and level designs are all fairly good. I’m not sure if it will hold my interest until the end, but I’m currently enjoying it.

I see that one has couch co-op. Color me interested!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:29 amI see that one has couch co-op. Color me interested!
If you like Diablo III (which I know that you do), then I’m fairly certain that you will like this as well since it’s essentially the same game. The Slayer Edition that includes all of its DLC is currently on sale at the PS Store for $11.99, I would suggest jumping on that deal now since it ends tomorrow.