The Backlog Check-in Vol. 222: 4/2/22: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga/MLB The Show 22 Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 222: 4/2/22: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga/MLB The Show 22 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 pm That game asks for an email before you can even start it. I tried it on PS Now, pretty sure it's an always online thing. However, you Phase are abso*******lutely correct that it should NOT require PS+ at all. That's asinine, it's a single player game that can be played co op, no reason for the PS+ nonsense.
Stuff like that is absolutely absurd. I'd call it theft, but it's people willfully opening their wallets, lol. I let console gaming fall by the wayside (although not permanently hopefully), and with that my PS+ sub, but if/when I ever get back into console gaming, I decided that I'd never pay for that service again. Granted, it provided more value than just online - which I appreciate, but the fact that it was tied to online services is just wrong imho. But as the market has shown over and over since time immemorial, the willingness of the consumer to pay for literally *anything* is not to be underestimated.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 222: 4/2/22: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga/MLB The Show 22 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I played more Fuse, and it’s actually pretty badass. While it’s primarily a shooter, you can melee attack and stealth kill as well. There’s also varied objectives, and cool boss battles. And I like the team based gameplay, the characters are always chatting it up and can revive you when your health is depleted. The graphics, gameplay and pacing are all really good as well. I’m glad that I stuck with it, because it’s one of the better third person shooters that I’ve played.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Somewhere north of 170 hours into ER, and I *finally* think I'm entering into the end game. I may still mop up a few things, but I *might* be able to finish it up by the end of this weekend.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:15 amSomewhere north of 170 hours into ER, and I *finally* think I'm entering into the end game. I may still mop up a few things, but I *might* be able to finish it up by the end of this weekend.
I look forward to your final thoughts when you finish it. By the way, are we going to get your 2021 GOTY list?

:P
isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:15 am Somewhere north of 170 hours into ER, and I *finally* think I'm entering into the end game. I may still mop up a few things, but I *might* be able to finish it up by the end of this weekend.
After you've had some time to digest things, I'm going to want to know if this threatens Xenoblade Chronicles or SOTN on your personal gaming throne. Or maybe it's some other games up there. I don't remember for sure what's atop your all-time list.

And I'll want cane's comparisons to RDR2/GTA or whatever else rests atop his list.

argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:51 pm
argyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:15 am Somewhere north of 170 hours into ER, and I *finally* think I'm entering into the end game. I may still mop up a few things, but I *might* be able to finish it up by the end of this weekend.
After you've had some time to digest things, I'm going to want to know if this threatens Xenoblade Chronicles or SOTN on your personal gaming throne. Or maybe it's some other games up there. I don't remember for sure what's atop your all-time list.
I can already answer that for you, it doesn't. It's a fantastic game, but IMO it definitely has some issues as well. I'll be posting a review of it when I finish, completely spoiler free - the issues are more core design things than specific story/boss/area related things. There are things that are fantastic about this game that other devs will most likely copy if they are smart. And there are places where FROM should have been taking better notes from other devs. I really want to discuss this w/ my big Souls friend so I hope he's gotten to play a decent bit of it by now, but we'll see. When I said the other day that I both love & hate ER, that's 100% true.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:16 pm I can already answer that for you, it doesn't. It's a fantastic game, but IMO it definitely has some issues as well. I'll be posting a review of it when I finish, completely spoiler free - the issues are more core design things than specific story/boss/area related things. There are things that are fantastic about this game that other devs will most likely copy if they are smart. And there are places where FROM should have been taking better notes from other devs. I really want to discuss this w/ my big Souls friend so I hope he's gotten to play a decent bit of it by now, but we'll see. When I said the other day that I both love & hate ER, that's 100% true.
Ah, I see. Well, I'm looking forward to your spoiler free review. Knowing how I feel about FROM's other similar work, I doubt I'll find myself so ambivalent, but I won't know for sure until I play it.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:32 pmI started playing Painkiller Black Edition alongside RDR2 and Unreal World, and wow, what a fun old-school FPS. It's developed by People Can Fly who developed one of my all-time genre favorites in Bulletstorm.
I’m not sure if you already know, but Outriders is the newest game developed by People Can Fly. I own it, but I haven’t played it yet.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:16 pm I can already answer that for you, it doesn't. It's a fantastic game, but IMO it definitely has some issues as well. I'll be posting a review of it when I finish, completely spoiler free - the issues are more core design things than specific story/boss/area related things. There are things that are fantastic about this game that other devs will most likely copy if they are smart. And there are places where FROM should have been taking better notes from other devs. I really want to discuss this w/ my big Souls friend so I hope he's gotten to play a decent bit of it by now, but we'll see. When I said the other day that I both love & hate ER, that's 100% true.
I'm curious about this. It's almost all love from me at this point... but you're 100+ hours ahead of me. :lol:
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:32 pm I’m not sure if you already know, but Outriders is the newest game developed by People Can Fly. I own it, but I haven’t played it yet.
Online only (even for single player) and co-op focused are a bit of a turn-off for me, but yeah, I may still give it a shot when it gets dirt cheap.