The Backlog Check-in Vol. 223: 4/9/22: Crimesight Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 223: 4/9/22: Crimesight Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Fuse, Warhammer: Chaosbane

Finished: Warhammer: Chaosbane

Playing: Fuse

Added: Nothing

I’m halfway through Fuse now, and still enjoying it. While it’s linear and repetitive, the cover shooting gameplay is fun and the constant story scenes, character banter, scripted events and set pieces keep it lively the entire time.

Games releasing this week
Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril
Boreal Tenebrae
Cathedral
Crimesight
Lake
Nobody Saves the World
Road 96
Run: The World In-Between
Sally Face
A Sketchbook About Her Sun
Wild West Crops
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 223: 4/9/22: Crimesight Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Man, Unreal World is such a great game. It's got an interface that takes some acclimating, and the graphics are simple, but nice (imho), but the depth and sense of primitive survival adventure is one-of-a-kind. Being a roguelike, it's one life and game over, so there's plenty of added weight to each decision. I'm currently on my third character who has survived 118 days so far - my longest, and I'm starting to really get the hang of things, but life, as always, is fragile. I spotted a snake nearby and figured it might be a chance at some relatively easy meat, but I didn't know if it was poisonous or not, so it was surely a risk. I attempted to attack it, and we had a back and forth dance for a bit, but it finally sunk its teeth into my thigh before I could incapacitate it. I *hoped* it wasn't poisonous, but not long after being bitten, the bad news arrived. So I was left to hope that it wouldn't be fatal poisoning. My herblore skills are very low right now, and the only thing I had in my shelter that could potentially be of help was some black currant, so I consumed it as a last resort, but my poisoning state only got more serious for a while. Thankfully it abated and I recovered, although I don't know if it was from my intervention or plain luck from a mildly poisonous bite. And another little victory happened the next day when I found that snake struggling in one of the traps I had set. So I killed and skinned it setting an end to that particular tale. This was this character's second brush with death. The first was after being stabbed by another villager after attempting to leave without paying (bartering) for some goods I had picked up. (I forgot I was carrying their property.) That wound was serious, and I was left unconscious for a while before treating that wound with a nettle poultice and finally recovering.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Dysmantle (platinum #84)

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Gran Turismo 7

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

Finally was able to knock out the plat in Dysmantle. On to GT7 - hope it's good!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Fuse, and I found it to be one of the weaker games that Insomniac has developed. There’s a reason why the reception for it wasn’t that great when it came out. It’s a by the numbers linear and repetitive third person co-op cover shooter.

The gunplay is fun and there’s some cool scripted events and set pieces, but it’s nothing more than making your way through extremely linear levels and cover shooting waves of bullet sponge enemies. And you fight the same few enemy types throughout the entire game, they just throw more of them out at you as you progress.

I liked the story and characters enough to want to keep playing and the core shooting gameplay was solid, but once I played the first chapter I basically played them all as only the environment graphics really changed.

I almost rage quit a few times due to how dumb my three AI teammates were, but I still stuck with it despite getting angry with their stupidity quite often.

The ending was disappointing, it was brief and left open for a sequel. The game was just entertaining enough to finish, but I expected better from Insomniac.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I was wondering how long it would take for you to blow your Fuse. :)
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:44 pm Man, Unreal World is such a great game. It's got an interface that takes some acclimating, and the graphics are simple, but nice (imho), but the depth and sense of primitive survival adventure is one-of-a-kind. Being a roguelike, it's one life and game over, so there's plenty of added weight to each decision. I'm currently on my third character who has survived 118 days so far - my longest, and I'm starting to really get the hang of things, but life, as always, is fragile. I spotted a snake nearby and figured it might be a chance at some relatively easy meat, but I didn't know if it was poisonous or not, so it was surely a risk. I attempted to attack it, and we had a back and forth dance for a bit, but it finally sunk its teeth into my thigh before I could incapacitate it. I *hoped* it wasn't poisonous, but not long after being bitten, the bad news arrived. So I was left to hope that it wouldn't be fatal poisoning. My herblore skills are very low right now, and the only thing I had in my shelter that could potentially be of help was some black currant, so I consumed it as a last resort, but my poisoning state only got more serious for a while. Thankfully it abated and I recovered, although I don't know if it was from my intervention or plain luck from a mildly poisonous bite. And another little victory happened the next day when I found that snake struggling in one of the traps I had set. So I killed and skinned it setting an end to that particular tale. This was this character's second brush with death. The first was after being stabbed by another villager after attempting to leave without paying (bartering) for some goods I had picked up. (I forgot I was carrying their property.) That wound was serious, and I was left unconscious for a while before treating that wound with a nettle poultice and finally recovering.
That sounds interesting. Good on you for making that SOB serpent pay. :lol:

Played recently: Elden Ring

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 23 (19 PS4, 4 Switch)

Copy paste just more Elden Ring for the old man. I beat my second "legacy boss," Which was satisfying. Onward.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:05 pm That sounds interesting. Good on you for making that SOB serpent pay. :lol:
I'm lucky I survived. I was already mourning the loss of this character and was so relieved when he recovered. I was just imagining all the work he put into his survival going down the drain. :P

If you like roguelikes and survival games, it's incredible. There's no designed narrative, but there's tons of emergent narrative.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I'll check it out if it ever makes its way to PS4.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:35 am I'll check it out if it ever makes its way to PS4.
Are you talking about Unreal World or some other post? This game will never be on console I imagine. It's not really controller friendly, but it could run on a potato - maybe literally. :P I mean it started development in 1992, lol.

I mean these are some of the controls:

And it looks like this:

But appearances hide an incredibly robust game. And I've gotten used to and actually like the visuals.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:09 pm Are you talking about Unreal World or some other post? This game will never be on console I imagine. It's not really controller friendly, but it could run on a potato - maybe literally. :P I mean it started development in 1992, lol.
Well I was, but never mind! :lol:

I actually like the way that looks too. Reminds me of playing games on my buddy's computer in college (the last time I spend any time on PC).
argyle

Post by argyle »

187 hours, and the credits finally rolled.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif (2.49 MiB) Viewed 13631 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis