The Backlog Check-in Vol. 227: 5/7/22: Evil Dead: The Game Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 227: 5/7/22: Evil Dead: The Game Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:54 pm Third person open world action adventure games and RPGs are amongst my favorites...
And yet you didn't like the two best open world action and turn-based RPGs on PS4. :lol:
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Dead Space may be a decade and a half old, but man it sure still looks great to me:

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 am
Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:54 pmThird person open world action adventure games and RPGs are amongst my favorites...
And yet you didn't like the two best open world action and turn-based RPGs on PS4. :lol:
Are you referring to The Witcher III and Divinity: Original Sin II? I liked The Witcher III, but I didn’t love it. I personally found it to be a little overrated, I enjoyed Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Valhalla a lot more. However, I liked it enough to play it again at some point. Divinity: Original Sin II isn’t third person or open world, it’s isometric view and linear. I liked a lot about it, but the combat focuses too much on the use of magic and is extremely slow paced. I couldn’t stick with it for that reason.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:28 pm Divinity: Original Sin II isn’t third person or open world, it’s isometric view and linear.
Incorrect. It is third person and open world. Are you mistaking it for something else?

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:47 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:28 pmDivinity: Original Sin II isn’t third person or open world, it’s isometric view and linear.
Incorrect. It is third person and open world. Are you mistaking it for something else?
No, are you?

https://www.thegamer.com/rpg-isometric- ... tions/amp/

It’s isometric view, even if you zoom the camera in close to your character(s) the camera is still set at a slight top-down angle and not directly behind your character(s) looking forward. Third person is when the camera is directly behind your character(s) looking forward.

It’s also not open world, and I’ve never heard it described as such. It has somewhat open areas and environments, but it’s not what is usually described as an open world game. It has a linear progression system where you can’t move onto other areas until you’ve completed objectives in previous ones.

Come on, you know what a third person open world game is. Games like Assassin’s Creed, Days Gone, The Division, Ghost of Tsushima, Ghost Recon: Wildlands/Breakpoint, Grand Theft Auto, Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden West, Immortals: Fenyx Rising, inFamous, Just Cause, Mad Max, Mercenaries, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor/War, Red Dead Redemption, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Saints Row, The Saboteur, Sleeping Dogs, Spider-Man, Watch Dogs, The Witcher III, etc. Divinity: Original Sin II isn’t anything like those games. It’s a CRPG similar to Baldur’s Gate, Pathfinder and Pillars of Eternity.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Third-person means you can see the character, which you clearly can. And having beaten the game, I'd describe it as open world. Each of the areas is very big and you can go pretty much wherever you want.

For example: https://mapgenie.io/divinity-original-s ... pers-coast
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:34 pmThird-person means you can see the character, which you clearly can. And having beaten the game, I'd describe it as open world. Each of the areas is very big and you can go pretty much wherever you want.

For example: https://mapgenie.io/divinity-original-s ... pers-coast
While technically a third person perspective or view might simply mean seeing the character that you’re playing in a game, it’s primarily used to describe a behind the character looking forward view. When a camera view of a character is overhead it’s described as bird’s-eye or top-down view, when it’s at a slightly top-down angle it’s described as isometric view and when it’s from the side it’s described as side view.

As for you feeling that Divinity: Original Sin II is an open world game, I’ll just leave that up to your own personal opinion since I guess that technically the way that the world is laid out that it could maybe be considered that. But it’s not really open world based on what I personally consider that to mean in games, and I’ve never heard it described as such.

But the bottom line is that whether Divinity: Original Sin II is or isn’t technically a third person open world game or not, the reason I quit playing it is because I didn’t care for its slow paced magic reliant turn-based combat. There were no short, fast paced melee combat battles in the game not even against the weakest of enemies. Each and every enemy encounter was a long drawn out slog that you had to pretty much use some sort of magic attacks and spells, because enemies almost exclusively used long range magic attacks. I liked a lot about the game and gave it a good chance, but the slow and methodically paced turn-based combat ultimately ruined it for me.