The Backlog Check-in Vol. 227: 5/7/22: Evil Dead: The Game Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 227: 5/7/22: Evil Dead: The Game Edition

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:00 pm Well, it was bound to happen at some point. I can still dominate games like Bugsnax though. :lol:
:lol:

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Hey.

Played: Literally nothing :| .

Beat: See above. :| .

Bought: Some stuff from the Golden Week sale. I passed on Trails of Cold Steel, Danganronpa and Zero Escape because I just don't have the time even though they all seem really cool. I picked up some super non time intensive stuff I can pick up and play and leave without caring too much about: Cat Quest 1 and 2, Dead or School, Super Neptunia RPG, Metal Max Xeno and The Wonderful 101. I also kinda hope the stuff I passed on ends up on "Sony's not Game Pass but is really just PS Now and Plus put together which should have happened years ago but Japan (see Nintendo) and essentially is now just Game Pass without the first party day one exclusives so it will always look lesser because Sony is dumb" service ends up being.

It's been a week fam :| .
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:36 am It's been a week fam :| .
Been there. Hope the flip side of the coin lands soon.

I was reminded of the space walk sections of Dead Space when I was playing Adr1ft, and I hadn't played the original since release (wow, where do 14 years go, lol) and I have it on GOG, so I fired it up. Really nice to go back to that classic. I love all three, yes even the third, but the original is my favorite overall. Such great atmosphere and the gameplay is fun too, even if it is a bit heavy on the jump scares. (But this was back before that was overdone.) Such a nostalgic feeling going back to this after so long.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Gotham Knights which was one of my most anticipated games of the year has just been canceled five months before release for the PS4 and Xbox One despite originally starting development on them. What I’ve seen of the game doesn’t look like something that couldn’t run on the PS4 and Xbox One. If Horizon Forbidden West can run on the PS4, then I don’t understand why Gotham Knights can’t as well. I also discovered that A Plague Tale: Requiem which was another game that I was looking forward to isn’t going to be released on the PS4, but it is on the Switch. What kind of bullshit is that? It has nothing to do with it not being able to run on the PS4, and them just deciding not to release it on the PS4 for some unknown reason despite the original being on it.

Of course I know that new games will eventually stop being released on the PS4, but there were still a few new games coming that I expected to be able to get on it. I’m hoping that no other new games that are currently coming to the PS4 like God of War Ragnarok and Saints Row get canceled for it, but now I’m worried. I’m still satisfied with my PS4, and don’t plan on getting a PS5 until there’s a cheaper slim version.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

You've got several million games for PS4 and older systems, right? Just play those for now. When you get a PS5, Gotham Knights will be there for you.

This is what I'm doing. Patience, grasshopper. ;)

In fact, I'm waiting to play God of War Ragnorok and Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 for the best possible experience.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:10 pmYou've got several million games for PS4 and older systems, right? Just play those for now. When you get a PS5, Gotham Knights will be there for you.

This is what I'm doing. Patience, grasshopper. ;)

In fact, I'm waiting to play God of War Ragnorok and Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 for the best possible experience.
While I don’t have a shortage of games to play, there’s still some coming out fairly soon like God of War Ragnarok, Gotham Knights and Saints Row for example that I want to play on day one.

Sure I have a ton of games, but they’re more quantity over quality especially my digital games which make up the bulk of my collection. I’m not implying that they’re bad per se, but they’re also not really the type of games that really do it for me like a big budget open world action adventure game or RPG for example.

If I really cared about having the best possible experience then I would be a PC gamer instead of a console one. I think that PS4 games still look pretty darn good, and I don’t want to spend $500 on another game console until I feel that it’s more necessary.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm If I really cared about having the best possible experience then I would be a PC gamer
For me the best part of PC gaming isn't even performance related. It's the flexibility and the sheer number of titles (relatively speaking). The way things are trending with PC releases, I'm unsure if I'll ever buy a PS5. I've got enough to play that I don't mind waiting a bit for Sony exclusives to get ported. Younger me would be shocked to hear myself make such a statement. I used to think I'd always be a console-first gamer. We don't even know our darn selves. :P

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm While I don’t have a shortage of games to play, there’s still some coming out fairly soon like God of War Ragnarok, Gotham Knights and Saints Row for example that I want to play on day one.

Sure I have a ton of games, but they’re more quantity over quality especially my digital games which make up the bulk of my collection. I’m not implying that they’re bad per se, but they’re also not really the type of games that really do it for me like a big budget open world action adventure game or RPG for example.
Did you ever play The Witcher III? Divinity 2? Pretty sure there are a lot of games you've never played that fit that description.

Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm If I really cared about having the best possible experience then I would be a PC gamer instead of a console one. I think that PS4 games still look pretty darn good, and I don’t want to spend $500 on another game console until I feel that it’s more necessary.
This is true. I should have said "the best possible experience within the realm of my income and abilities." :lol: I can afford a PS5 eventually. A nice PC rig is another story... and even if I had one, I wouldn't have a clue how to optimize it. Or, if I did, want to make those adjustments from game to game.

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:17 pm For me the best part of PC gaming isn't even performance related. It's the flexibility and the sheer number of titles (relatively speaking).
That's a great selling point to me. Pretty much everything except Nintendo exclusives will end up there (and I'm sure even those are available if you don't mind piracy). But I'm a simple-minded old man who just wants to fire up the game and go.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:45 pm That's a great selling point to me. Pretty much everything except Nintendo exclusives will end up there (and I'm sure even those are available if you don't mind piracy). But I'm a simple-minded old man who just wants to fire up the game and go.
Yeah, if you like, the entire history of console, handheld and PC gaming is available on PC, and that's pretty incredible. But I surely get the desire for simplicity too. I had a few technical hiccups getting things running properly in Painkiller when I played it earlier this year. And there were still a few oddities due to older games and their potential awkwardness with newer OSs. On the flip side though, you can often get things performing *much* better on PC with some tweaks if you want to spend a bit of time. And mostly, I never need to troubleshoot much - with that exception of some older titles. And of course, there's tons of mods/support for so many titles to get things sorted just the way you like. In the end, there's lots of flavors for how we game, and whatever way you prefer is the best way.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:45 pmDid you ever play The Witcher III? Divinity 2? Pretty sure there are a lot of games you've never played that fit that description.
Of course I’ve played those, your memory is getting bad old man. :P The Witcher III (while good) failed to really grab me like it did a lot of other people for some reason, and Divinity: Original Sin II held my interest for a bit but its slow paced magic focused turn-based combat was a snore IMO.

I have some significant games to play in my collection such as Avengers, Darksiders III, Death Stranding, Detroit: Become Human, Dying Light 2, The Evil Within 2, Fallout 4, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XV, GreedFall, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hitman 1-3, Horizon Forbidden West, Immortals: Fenyx Rising, Judgment 1+2, Life is Strange: True Colors, Metro Exodus, Ni no Kuni II, The Outer Worlds, Persona 5, Resident Evil VII, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, South Park: The Fractured but Whole, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, Tales of Arise, Titanfall 2, Trials of Mana, Until Dawn, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Watch Dogs: Legion, Yakuza 1-7, etc. but that doesn’t change the fact that I want to play games like God of War Ragnarok, Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy and Saints Row on day one.

Third person open world action adventure games and RPGs are amongst my favorites, and the only ones that I currently have that I haven’t played yet are Horizon Forbidden West, Immortals: Fenyx Rising and Watch Dogs: Legion. That’s why I’ve been really looking forward to Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy and Saints Row this year. So it’s unfortunate that I won’t be able to get Gotham Knights, because that was going to be my open world Batgirl sim. Thankfully, Hogwarts Legacy and Saints Row haven’t been canceled for the PS4... yet.