The Backlog Check-in Vol. 228: 5/14/22: Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 228: 5/14/22: Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:32 pm This seems like something that I might enjoy if it was in third person with at least PS3/Xbox 360 quality graphics, but its current presentation looks much too dated leaving too much to the imagination which would probably prevent me from being able to really get into it.
Yeah, I understand. I'm actually a bit of an oddity in that I prefer less definition. I find that as graphics improve my imagination gets less engaged. No visual representation of a thing can come close to my own immersion via my imagination. I'm always seeking out lower poly stuff and retro/2D games because of this. I'm not saying I can't enjoy great visuals, it's just that I feel like there's less room for me to "tell my own story" of what's happening or interpret the visual symbolism in my own way. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

But even if it had better visuals, it's hardcore. Tons of controls to acclimate to and it's a true rogue-like with permadeath, random generation, and is turn-based. But when you die, you die, and all you've worked for is gone with no carry-over. Some hate that, but I love the weight of consequence.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 228: 5/14/22: Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:45 pmI'm actually a bit of an oddity in that I prefer less definition. I find that as graphics improve my imagination gets less engaged. No visual representation of a thing can come close to my own immersion via my imagination. I'm always seeking out lower poly stuff and retro/2D games because of this. I'm not saying I can't enjoy great visuals, it's just that I feel like there's less room for me to "tell my own story" of what's happening or interpret the visual symbolism in my own way. I don't know if that makes sense or not.
So in other words you’d be perfectly fine if games never advanced beyond text adventures. :P I kind of get what you’re saying, but for me video games are a visual medium and their art and animation are part of what draw me into them.

One of the reasons why I didn’t really like PC adventure games and RPGs when I was younger is because a lot of them were still images, simplistic grid/tile based graphics and text. I started liking adventure games when they became point-and-click having an animated character interact in environments, and I started liking RPGs when you could move animated characters around game worlds, talk to NPCs, traverse dungeons and fight enemies with button input combat.

While I’ve never been a graphics whore, I still like everything happening in games to be visually represented through art and animation. I like to actually feel like I’m in a game world be it with 2D pixel art, or with advanced 3D polygons. What level of graphical fidelity I prefer usually depends on the genre. I’m fine with 2D pixel art for retro style action adventure games, arcade beat ‘em ups, side scrolling platformers and cute RPGs. But for more immersive and realistic type games such as open world action adventure games/RPGs, racing games, shooters and survival/horror games I prefer modern 3D graphics.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:00 pm So in other words you’d be perfectly fine if games never advanced beyond text adventures. :P I kind of get what you’re saying, but for me video games are a visual medium and their art and animation are part of what draw me into them.

One of the reasons why I didn’t really like PC adventure games and RPGs when I was younger is because a lot of them were still images, simplistic grid/tile based graphics and text. I started liking adventure games when they became point-and-click having an animated character interact in environments, and I started liking RPGs when you could move animated characters around game worlds, talk to NPCs, traverse dungeons and fight enemies with button input combat.

While I’ve never been a graphics whore, I still like everything happening in games to be visually represented through art and animation. I like to actually feel like I’m in a game world be it with 2D pixel art, or with advanced 3D polygons. What level of graphical fidelity I prefer usually depends on the genre. I’m fine with 2D pixel art for retro style action adventure games, arcade beat ‘em ups, side scrolling platformers and cute RPGs. But for more immersive and realistic type games such as open world action adventure games/RPGs, racing games, shooters and survival/horror games I prefer modern 3D graphics.
I understand. Games for me are more of an emotional draw, and if that engagement can happen via still panels or simplistic visuals - or no visuals, it's fine with me. I care about how a game *moves* me, and if that happens via mechanical interaction, narrative and/or atmosphere, strategy and systems, what have you, that's what I look for. I want *electricity* that I can feel - that can energize me in some meaningful way, and that can be conveyed in a great variety of delivery methods for me. Great graphics can be a part of such a package, but they are not a requirement for that to happen for me.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:58 am
jfissel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:03 amI also finished the Unpacking story and still have a few trophies to clean up from various years. It's a game that some of you may enjoy. Definitely tells a story with just the levels, items, and a few words after level completion.
I think that argyle really liked that game, remember him? :P It looks interesting, I’ll get it when it’s on sale.
I do remember him, yes.

Phase, you may think it's repetitive...BUT think about all the times you've moved and unpacked the same stuff many times (or don't if you can't relate :P). It does help to tell a story by doing that though.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:22 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:58 amI think that argyle really liked that game, remember him? :P It looks interesting, I’ll get it when it’s on sale.
I do remember him, yes.
That was a rhetorical question. :P But in all seriousness, I hope that everything’s ok on his end because he hasn’t posted here in well over a month.
jfissel wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:22 pmPhase, you may think it's repetitive...BUT think about all the times you've moved and unpacked the same stuff many times (or don't if you can't relate :P). It does help to tell a story by doing that though.
I definitely moved a lot when I was younger. I think that the game looks interesting, and I plan on getting it when it’s on sale.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:12 pm That was a rhetorical question. :P But in all seriousness, I hope that everything’s ok on his end because he hasn’t posted here in well over a month.
Yeah. Hope it's just a matter of being busy with work or something like that.
isthatallyougot

Which one of us will be last man standing, posting to only ourselves? :P (Hope argyle is well.)

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Unless it's just a matter of people getting bored and moving on, I'm very likely to be the first one permanently gone. :D

isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:14 am Unless it's just a matter of people getting bored and moving on, I'm very likely to be the first one permanently gone. :D

Don't be so sure. We're all fragile...incredibly so. I'm just a whisper on the wind.

I don't foresee myself getting bored playing or chatting about games with you fine gents, but one day soon...

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:03 amWhich one of us will be last man standing, posting to only ourselves? :P
Probably me, I already talk to myself so posting to myself won’t be much different. :P
canedaddy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:14 amUnless it's just a matter of people getting bored and moving on, I'm very likely to be the first one permanently gone. :D

You might be older than me, but your health is probably better than mine. As you know I have DKA, and I can feel its effects daily. I’m constantly fatigued, weak and have neuropathy in my hands and feet. Everything in my life is affected by it, including playing video games. I unfortunately don’t think that I’m going to reach a ripe old age. :(