The Backlog Check-in Vol. 231: 6/4/22: Mario Strikers: Battle League/The Quarry Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 231: 6/4/22: Mario Strikers: Battle League/The Quarry Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:48 pm I’ve actually played almost every older game that I’m interested in, there’s very few that I haven’t. But my rant wasn’t really about not having games to play, because like I said I have plenty. Not only do I have a big collection of Xbox 360 games that I’ve played and want to play again (and a few that I haven’t played), I also have 600+ PS4 games. But admittedly a good amount of my PS4 games are not my favorite genres, or are retro style indies. Basically, games that I want to play but not games that I REALLY want to play if that makes sense.

The PS3/Xbox 360 generation just had a lot more games that really did it for me compared to the PS4/Xbox One generation, and it appears that the PS5/Xbox Series X generation is going to have even less based on what has come out for it so far and what has been announced. So for me the current generation of gaming is the least excited that I’ve been about gaming since I first started, but since I have so much to play from the two previous generations that’s kind of ok. It’s just that I don’t feel like I have a lot to look forward to anymore, but with my current backlog of PS4 games that’s probably for the best anyway.
Yeah, I understood what you were saying. I know you mentioned indies, but they certainly fill that void that you're talking about for me, albeit with (sometimes) more modest production values. And I agree with you (and cane) about the trends in the mainstream. Higher budgets equals higher risk, and that leads more cautious decisions and a homogeneous "creative" landscape (within big-budget gaming). Everybody's chasing the big score in the AAA space at least. It's not good for the industry or the general creative process and it's not good for gamers, but the yin/yang of all things opened a void which has been more than adequately filled by smaller/indie teams imho. I do think you'd be better served by *trying* to broaden your horizons gaming-wise, but we all are who we are and maybe that's just not in the cards for you. So grumble on my friend. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 231: 6/4/22: Mario Strikers: Battle League/The Quarry Edition

Post by jfissel »

It is an interesting situation in gaming. But I appear to have enough of a backlog and games I like keep coming out, so it hasn't greatly affected me yet.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Same. I'm pretty sure I currently own 4 or 5 years' worth of games I want to play.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:08 amI'm pretty sure I currently own 4 or 5 years' worth of games I want to play.
I’m pretty sure I currently own 4 or 5 decades worth of games I want to play, and izzy currently owns 4 or 5 centuries worth of games he wants to play. :P
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:36 pm
canedaddy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:08 amI'm pretty sure I currently own 4 or 5 years' worth of games I want to play.
I’m pretty sure I currently own 4 or 5 decades worth of games I want to play, and izzy currently owns 4 or 5 centuries worth of games he wants to play. :P
:D
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:36 pm
I've just always assumed I was immortal. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I was going to start playing a PS4 game that I haven’t played yet, but I’ve been in the mood to revisit older games that I’ve played before for some reason.

I was browsing my Xbox 360 game collection, and nothing was really interesting me until I came across Saints Row 2. I started playing it and while it looks and plays a little dated, it’s fun with an entertaining story, a colorful cast of characters and varied missions that take place both indoors and out.

However, like Fable II before it it’s feeling familiar. I played through it a few times in the past just like I did with Fable II, so despite not playing it for years I still remember it fairly well. Therefore, I’m not sure that I’m going to stick with it.

Revisiting older games that I played and enjoyed in the past can be fun, but experiencing new games is a little more exciting because I don’t know what to expect from them which is part of the intrigue.