The Backlog Check-in Vol. 236: 7/9/22: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 236: 7/9/22: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:34 pm Izzy, I downloaded The Good Life off of GP last night. Saying it feels like a PS2 game is on the nose.
Yeah, it definitely has that feel. There are some unrefined elements and things I'd like to have seen done better, but I've been having fun with it. Everything is really simple in terms of execution, but there's tons of stuff to do and collect. The world is also larger than I was expecting. I've heard that the main story can be beaten in 10-12 hours, but I've already spend close to 17 hours with it, and done tons of quests with very little of the main line. I think I read somewhere that SWERY said that it was a game that was designed to be played indefinitely if you chose, but I can't find the quote right now. But despite some of the issues I have with it, it's more polished than Deadly Premonition, and I really enjoyed that, despite its rough edges. For me, it's a good example of fun games that don't need massive budgets, but I've felt that way for a long time.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 236: 7/9/22: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

This is another retro style JRPG that I’m really looking forward to next year:

And yes cane, it has fishing. :P
isthatallyougot

Yeah, I've had Sea of Stars on my wish list ever since I heard of it.

I'm also looking forward to Sqeenix's take on Harvest Moon:

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:52 amI'm also looking forward to Sqeenix's take on Harvest Moon:

I would be too if it wasn’t only for Switch and PC. :|
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:50 am
jfissel wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:38 pm Plenty of sunshine and heat, except for those daily afternoon thunderstorms.
Ah yes. You could set your clock by them. Well hope it was a nice trip and you got a grouper sandwich or something. :)
If I ordered a grouper sandwich, my family would think something is seriously wrong with me...I stick to land animals. ;)

Trip was a nice mid-year getaway. Only found 1 bottle of bourbon though and that was for a friend. :(
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:52 pm If I ordered a grouper sandwich, my family would think something is seriously wrong with me...I stick to land animals. ;)

As the grandson of a Chesapeake Bay waterman, I find that blasphemous. :x :P

Good of you to hook up your buddy with bourbon.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Old man, I do like The Adventure Pals but in brief spurts, not a long play session. I am at the third island I think. I will finish it, probably end up on my goty list I am sure :) .

And Indivisible went and got itself shelved. I love the idea of fighting game combos in a game, the east Asian theming, Valkyrie Profile style battle system and puzzle platforming...but I absolutely should NOT have to go to the Internet every five minutes for basic controls. They also pulled the 'here's the final boss' less than two hours in but it's not a lose but the game keeps going thing. It's do all the annoying nonsense again when you invariably lose. They don't give you enough time or opportunity with the battle system and throw too many characters and mechanics are once. It's just a mess. I knew this one was going to fall off a cliff...bummer
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:30 pmOld man, I do like The Adventure Pals but in brief spurts, not a long play session.
It’s in my backlog, but I haven’t gotten in the mood to play it. Maybe someday.
crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:30 pmIndivisible went and got itself shelved. I love the idea of fighting game combos in a game, the east Asian theming, Valkyrie Profile style battle system and puzzle platforming...but I absolutely should NOT have to go to the Internet every five minutes for basic controls. They also pulled the 'here's the final boss' less than two hours in but it's not a lose but the game keeps going thing. It's do all the annoying nonsense again when you invariably lose. They don't give you enough time or opportunity with the battle system and throw too many characters and mechanics are once. It's just a mess. I knew this one was going to fall off a cliff...bummer
This is also in my backlog and I’ve been looking forward to playing it because it looked good, but now I’m less excited to play it based on your impressions of it. I’ll still check it out of course, but now I’m worried that I’m not going to like it for the same reasons that you don’t.

And speaking of shelving games (can you shelve digital games? :P), I think that I’m going to shelve Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising. I’ve played it for 10 hours and the difficulty has ramped up to the point where I need to grind which I’m just not in the mood to do. I don’t mind grinding in RPGs too much, but this is more of a 2.5D side scrolling action platformer so it’s really repetitive to grind in it especially since I have to do the grinding in the same few areas that I’ve already revisited countless times in the 10 hours that I’ve played. I was enjoying the game which is why I played it for 10 hours, but they put too many side quests in it that have you playing through the same areas over and over again to gather materials and resources for the townsfolk. The side quests are basically mandatory to do as they’re primarily how you gain XP and money which are required to level up and improve your armor and weapons. And one way that they artificially make the game more challenging is by limiting how many healing potions that you can carry. If they allowed you to carry more, grinding wouldn’t be as necessary further in the game when the enemies and bosses get tougher. I still recommend the game to everyone here, but I just don’t have the patience to grind since I have so many other games waiting to be played.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:01 pm I would be too if it wasn’t only for Switch and PC. :|
I can't imagine it won't release on PS/Xbox at some point.