The Backlog Check-in Vol. 236: 7/9/22: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 236: 7/9/22: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: ANNO Mutationem, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising

Added: Absolver, Crysis Remastered, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, Ender of Fire, Potata: Fairy Flower, Smelter, Twin Mirror, Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood, Zombieland: Double Tap - Road Trip

I started playing Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, and I’m enjoying it. It’s a charming and cute side scrolling 2.5D action RPG. It’s a bit basic, simplified and streamlined in design which is just what I’m in the mood for right now.

Games releasing this week
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
Chimeraland
Clanfolk
Crossing Frontier
DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace
Dinkum
DreadOut 2
Escape Academy
Eyes in the Dark
Fire and Maneuver
The Future You’ve Been Dreaming Of
Garden Story
Hellpoint
Immortals Tactics: War of the Eternals
Kayak VR: Mirage
Kingdom Gun
Krut: The Mythic Wings
Kursk
League of Legends: Wild Rift
Loopmancer
Meteora
Monument Valley: Panoramic Edition
Monument Valley 2: Panoramic Edition
Mothmen 1966
Musynx
Necrosmith
Neon Blight
Never Breakup
Pascal’s Wager: Definitive Edition
Pokémon Puzzle League
PowerWash Simulator
Raubritter
Rune Factory 5
Running on Magic
Serious Fun Football
Spidersaurs
Superola Champion Edition
Super UFO Fighter
Tamarindos Freaking Dinner
The Tale of Bistun
Time Lock VR 2
Toilet Chronicles
Ultimate Muscle Roller Championship
Worth Life
XEL
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 236: 7/9/22: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: AC Valhalla + expansion

Last week: Finished nothing, dabbled with a few things including Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (I'll finish it eventually...) and my jigsaw puzzle game

This week: Probably AC:V

So it's been almost 2 years since I last played AC:V, according to my save file. I'm gonna have to start over in order to know what the crap is going on, aren't I? :|
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 236: 7/9/22: DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace Edition

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:17 am So it's been almost 2 years since I last played AC:V, according to my save file. I'm gonna have to start over in order to know what the crap is going on, aren't I? :|
Oof. How many hours did you put into it the first time?

Played recently: Elden Ring

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: The Messenger, Inside

Current backlog: 25 (24 PS4, 1 Vita)

It was a good week in Elden Ring. I managed to take down some of the big bosses that were driving me nuts, along with several dragons that once seemed impossible to beat, and finished one of the main side quests (see below). The last area I reached is still crushing me, but I'm starting to believe I might be able to beat the game.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm having a good time with The Good Life. So much to do...so much wackiness. :P

This is my 8th game on my $1 for three months Game Pass membership - and I've still got two full months left. I think I'm getting my money's worth. :P I've played some really good ones, but I've also saved myself from buying a few that I would have definitely bought (on discount) that turned out to be turds. One dollar well-spent.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’ve played Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising for eight hours now, and I’m a little more than halfway through it. It took roughly this amount of time to get my third party member, for the combat to get more complex, to access more areas and for the challenge to ramp up. Prior to reaching this point in the game it was admittedly somewhat repetitive with having to traverse the same few areas over and over again primarily gathering resources and materials for the townsfolk to build up the town with more establishments and shops. The combat remained fairly basic, and the game didn’t present too much of a challenge. Now that all of the town establishments and shops are built, I’ve gotten my third party member and have the ability to access more areas/dungeons things have definitely picked up quite a bit in terms of story, dungeon traversal and combat.
argyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:17 amSo it's been almost 2 years since I last played AC:V, according to my save file. I'm gonna have to start over in order to know what the crap is going on, aren't I? :|
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 am Oof. How many hours did you put into it the first time?
The save file says around 20 - I didn't think it was that much, but maybe it was. Or maybe I paused / left it idle a lot. Who knows.

And izzy, that's been my experience with Gamepass as well - it's almost more valuable for the bad games that it keeps you from buying than the good ones. ;)

I need to play Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - but it's the bonus "prelude" game that they made from the Kickstarter to the main Eiyuden Chronicle, which is the Suikoden spiritual successor. THAT'S the one I really want to play.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 pm
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 am Oof. How many hours did you put into it the first time?
The save file says around 20 - I didn't think it was that much, but maybe it was. Or maybe I paused / left it idle a lot. Who knows.
20 hours might seem like a lot, but the story alone not counting any side content is around 100 hours. Unlike Assassin’s Creed Odyssey which offers more side quests than main quests, Valhalla is pretty much all about its main storyline which is long. A lot of its side content seems like unnecessary filler to me (it doesn’t really have side quests), and I did very little of it as it hurt the pacing of the game IMO. The main story offers more than enough content as it is, and the expansions deliver even more.
argyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 pmAnd izzy, that's been my experience with Gamepass as well - it's almost more valuable for the bad games that it keeps you from buying than the good ones. ;)
:lol:
argyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 pmI need to play Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - but it's the bonus "prelude" game that they made from the Kickstarter to the main Eiyuden Chronicle, which is the Suikoden spiritual successor. THAT'S the one I really want to play.
Yeah, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes is one of my most anticipated games right now. It looks like a really good classic style turn-based JRPG with a cool mix of old and new 2D/3D graphics. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a small appetizer game to it that outside of the art style is a completely different game. I consider it to be more of a side scrolling action adventure platformer than an RPG. It’s cute and fun, but also a fairly small scale game in general. It’s definitely worth checking out especially for its low price, but don’t go into it expecting a deep and engrossing RPG because that’s not what it is.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 pm And izzy, that's been my experience with Gamepass as well - it's almost more valuable for the bad games that it keeps you from buying than the good ones. ;)
Yeah, no doubt. I don't think I'll keep my membership after my 3 months are up - I don't want to neglect my backlog, but I'll be tempted to sign up again if they offer me another really cheap deal for a while, or maybe if there's something I really want to play on the service without waiting for a price drop on Steam or some other platform.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 pm I need to play Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - but it's the bonus "prelude" game that they made from the Kickstarter to the main Eiyuden Chronicle, which is the Suikoden spiritual successor. THAT'S the one I really want to play.
Suikoden spiritual successor, you say? Guess I need to run and check that out right now!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 amSuikoden spiritual successor, you say? Guess I need to run and check that out right now!
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes is the spiritual successor to Suikoden, not Rising which I’m playing now. It unfortunately isn’t coming out until next year.