The Backlog Check-in Vol. 237: 7/16/22: Stray Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 237: 7/16/22: Stray Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Ashen, Black Book, Crysis Remastered, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, Ender of Fire, Grey Skies: A War of the Worlds Story

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Ashen

Added: Nothing

I quit playing Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising despite putting 10 hours into it and somewhat enjoying it, because I reached a point where grinding was pretty much necessary to proceed and I had enough of going to the same few locations countless times already that I didn’t want to any more in order to grind.

I played some Ashen, Black Book, Crysis Remastered, Ender of Fire and Grey Skies: A War of the Worlds Story. Ashen is the one that clicked with me the most, so it’s what I’m continuing to play.

Black Book is a pretty good point-and-click adventure game with an interesting story, an appealing art style and a turn-based battle system. But it’s kind of slow paced as point-and-click adventure games tend to be, and I was in the mood for something a little more action-y.

I decided to play Crysis Remastered since Crysis is a game that I’ve always wanted to play, and it’s been a while since I played an FPS. I can tell why it was popular back in 2007 when it originally came out, but now in 2022 it seems a little generic for the genre since other similar FPSs like Far Cry have been doing what it does better over the years. I was liking it enough to possibly want to play through it when I’m really in the mood for an FPS, but that’s not now.

I played a little Ender of Fire, and it seemed like an ok 3D side scrolling arcade style hack ‘n slash game similar to Golden Axe. But it was pretty low budget and one-note failing to really keep me wanting to play for too long. However, it’s something that I plan on playing again when I’m more in the mood for a game like it.

I played some Grey Skies: A War of the Worlds Story, and I was enjoying it at first since it’s a classic style third person survival horror game with slight exploration, and key item puzzles. However, I soon discovered that it’s a hide and sneak only stealth game when it comes to dealing with enemies. It desperately needed combat of some kind, because strictly avoiding enemies without being detected in a game like this is boring.

Ashen is the game that finally clicked with me, and I’ve been enjoying it. It’s similar to Dark Souls in a lot of ways, but more reasonable in terms of challenge. It’s challenging without being frustrating. It has a lighter tone to it with cartoonish stylized graphics, and wooden figurine looking characters without faces. I find the art style appealing, and it takes place in a small open world that also has dungeons. The story is kind of weird and there’s not much characterization since you play as a generic silent avatar, but the NPCs talk. As with other Soulslike games it’s the world and gameplay that are the focus here, and they’re both good.

Games releasing this week
Aery: Vikings
As Dusk Falls
Bail or Jail
Banish
Book of Yog Idle RPG
Bright Memory: Infinite
Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils
Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium
Century: Age of Ashes
Chaos Galaxy 2
Chameleon: DYH
Coromon
Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp
DeadOut 2
Deer Journey
Endling: Extinction is Forever
Ex-Zodiac
Fallen Angel
Gloom and Doom
Hazel Sky
Hell Pie
Justice.exe
Live a Live
Mari and Bayu: The Road Home
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Remastered
Pixel.Loot.Princess.Again x2
River City Saga: Three Kingdoms
Severed Steel
Stray
The Sunny Life
Post Void
TombStar
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 237: 7/16/22: Stray Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Anyone getting Stray? It seems like it could be interesting.

Played recently: Elden Ring

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 25 (24 PS4, 1 Vita)

Apparently I've just about reached the end of the road in Elden Ring. I've explored as far as I can go (there's a very nasty and unfair boss fight blocking one chunk of the map, western region of certain area), beaten almost all of the bosses and maxed out my flasks. I just arrived at what seems to be a point of no return (argyle... at the edge of FotG). I'm going to see if I can get the last few bosses down before moving past there.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:00 amAnyone getting Stray? It seems like it could be interesting.
I want it, but not on day one for full price. I’ll buy it when it’s on sale.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: picked AC: Valhalla back up w/ the expansion

Last week: Finished nothing, played my jigsaw puzzle game (I'm on the last puzzle!), Powerwash Simulator, and a little AC

This week: More of those.

Powerwash Simulator is a strong GOTY contender.

I might would pick up Stray this week, if Xenoblade 3 wasn't coming out next week. As is I'll probably wait for a sale.

Cane, my brain is having trouble parsing that abbreviation, but if you're where I think you are (standing on the lip of a...very large piece of cookware?) then you're only at the point of no return for doing things in one specific area. The big city. I think all of that is vague enough yet gives you enough to go on. ;) Wish I could figure out which boss you're having trouble with.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm Powerwash Simulator is a strong GOTY contender.
:lol: Guess I need to take a look! It's not my GOTY in real life.

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm Cane, my brain is having trouble parsing that abbreviation, but if you're where I think you are (standing on the lip of a...very large piece of cookware?) then you're only at the point of no return for doing things in one specific area. The big city. I think all of that is vague enough yet gives you enough to go on. ;) Wish I could figure out which boss you're having trouble with.
That's the place! Thanks, very good to know. I think I've done all I can there. (Although there is something involving the Elden Tree that I thought I'd be getting back to. Hmmmm...)

As for the boss, it's the commander with his two sidekicks. I just read about a way to cheese it, and I think I'm going to give it a try. ;)
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Argyle, you need to explain this Power wash Simulator statement. Thank you.

Old man: PS plus...whatever they call it has a 7 day trial incoming soon. Apparently Stray is dumb short, less than 10 hours. It is on there free when it releases 7/19. You're welcome.

Played:...here we go again: Cuphead, Freedom Planet, P4 Arena Ultimax (jeez, this story mode is absolute hot garbage, why did they do it this way?), DB Fighterz (they have way too much story but it's better presented than P4 Arena Ultimax, so I might stIck with it at least), Super Neptunia RPG (still looking for Valkyrie Profile, September can't get here fast enough)...Avengers (I just can't...) and Guardians of the Galaxy...YES, I FOUND IT! I FOUND MY NEW JAM!!!!! This game is baller, I restarted and am following the collectibles guide to plat this sucker :D

Bought: Nothing.

This week: Guardians of the Galaxy, fam :) and Stray when I am done because I like this PS plus...whatever they call it.

Phase, thanks for your list of releases weekly, I find out about new games all the time from that. Pocky and Rocky and now the new River City Saga game are on my radar thanks to that. Thanks fam :)
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pmPowerwash Simulator is a strong GOTY contender.
:lol:
argyle wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pmI might would pick up Stray this week, if Xenoblade 3 wasn't coming out next week. As is I'll probably wait for a sale.
I would probably buy Stray tomorrow if I wasn’t buying Saints Row next month, but Stray is $30 which is half the cost of Saints Row. I want Stray, but it’s something that I can wait and buy when it’s on sale since $30 seems a little pricey for it IMO.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:25 pmApparently Stray is dumb short, less than 10 hours.
I heard that it’s 10 hours which I don’t really consider dumb short for what is essentially a cat walking sim. :P
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:25 pmPhase, thanks for your list of releases weekly, I find out about new games all the time from that. Pocky and Rocky and now the new River City Saga game are on my radar thanks to that. Thanks fam :)
You’re welcome. It’s nice to know that someone appreciates what I do around here. :P
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Still having a lot of fun with The Good Life. I'm close to 30 hours in. There's so many side-quests and things to do, and it's just fun roaming around and rummaging through trash cans, marking territory by peeing on everything and digging up hidden loot as a dog or climbing up to roof tops and hunting as a cat. TONS of items, but crafting seems to be dependent on some *really* hard to acquire drops. (not a game for completionists) I've got all but one of the shrines (fast travel points) unlocked and I think I've got quite a bit of story left as I've only paid off about 1/3 of my debt. Oh, and for some reason they put cane in the game...must have been a kickstarter backer. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:41 am Oh, and for some reason they put cane in the game...must have been a kickstarter backer. :P

:lol: I better get some NIL money from that!
argyle

Post by argyle »

"GOTY" might be a stretch, admittedly, but it's a shoe-in for most satisfying game of the year.

Very relaxing. Hopefully DG and I can try out the co-op mode soon. ;)

cane: Ohhhh, THAT guy. Yeah, he's nasty. Honestly, I don't know how but I handled him without too much headache, but when Tam got to him she got stuck and I tried helping her and he was much more difficult that I remembered - so I'm assuming I got lucky. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis