The Backlog Check-in Vol. 237: 7/16/22: Stray Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 237: 7/16/22: Stray Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:41 am Still having a lot of fun with The Good Life. I'm close to 30 hours in. There's so many side-quests and things to do, and it's just fun roaming around and rummaging through trash cans, marking territory by peeing on everything and digging up hidden loot as a dog or climbing up to roof tops and hunting as a cat. TONS of items, but crafting seems to be dependent on some *really* hard to acquire drops. (not a game for completionists) I've got all but one of the shrines (fast travel points) unlocked and I think I've got quite a bit of story left as I've only paid off about 1/3 of my debt. Oh, and for some reason they put cane in the game...must have been a kickstarter backer. :P

Quit making me want this game even more than I already do. :P I hope that it goes on sale soon, because I really want to play it.
argyle wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:12 pm"GOTY" might be a stretch, admittedly, but it's a shoe-in for most satisfying game of the year.

That looks about as fun as watching paint dry. :lol:
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Stray

Added to Backlog: Stray

Current Backlog: 44 games

I bought Stray, so I'll give everyone the scoop.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:22 pm Quit making me want this game even more than I already do. :P I hope that it goes on sale soon, because I really want to play it.
Look on the bright side. The longer you wait to play it, the longer until you find it unsatisfactory. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:06 am Look on the bright side. The longer you wait to play it, the longer until you find it unsatisfactory. :P
:lol:

So I just realized last night that maybe it's not the most effective approach to roll with the same broadsword I got at the beginning of Elden Ring and have upgraded to near max. I did a Google search for the best weapon for my build, and everyone said the Blasphemous Blade, which I already had acquired. So I upgraded it and started using it. Let me tell you, that is a game-changer. :lol: It took me about five hits to take down a more badass version of a boss that had given me serious trouble earlier. Several bosses fell last night. I like my chances using this bad boy against just about anybody.

Maybe I'll start using Great Runes too. :)
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 am So I just realized last night that maybe it's not the most effective approach to roll with the same broadsword I got at the beginning of Elden Ring and have upgraded to near max. I did a Google search for the best weapon for my build, and everyone said the Blasphemous Blade, which I already had acquired. So I upgraded it and started using it. Let me tell you, that is a game-changer. :lol: It took me about five hits to take down a more badass version of a boss that had given me serious trouble earlier. Several bosses fell last night. I like my chances using this bad boy against just about anybody.

Maybe I'll start using Great Runes too. :)
That depth/flexibility is one of my favorite things about Souls. It's like playing different games, depending on how you approach your builds.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:06 amLook on the bright side. The longer you wait to play it, the longer until you find it unsatisfactory. :P
It looks right up my alley, so I don’t expect to find it unsatisfactory. But of course I don’t know for sure how I’m going to like a game until I play it.

I stopped playing Ashen despite liking it, because I’m not really in the mood for it right now. It’s a Soulslike game with a somewhat deliberate and methodical pace, and I’m more in the mood for something a little less demanding at this time.

I started playing Hob, and I’ve been finding it fun. It’s an isometric view action adventure game with combat, platforming and environment puzzles. It has a colorful art style, great animation and solid gameplay. Of course I don’t know if I’ll keep playing it to completion since it’s been harder for games to hold my interest lately, but I’ve been enjoying it so far.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:06 am That depth/flexibility is one of my favorite things about Souls. It's like playing different games, depending on how you approach your builds.
Seriously! It's hard to imagine that I'd even consider another Elden Ring run after all the time this one has taken, but man, I have so much cool gear for different builds that I haven't touched. NG+ is a good possibility.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:20 am Of course I don’t know if I’ll keep playing it to completion since it’s been harder for games to hold my interest lately...

:P

argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 am Maybe I'll start using Great Runes too. :)
The first one you get is the only one worth using - you're welcome for the time save. :P

I am *really* looking forward to Xeno 3 next week - but I'll admit it's gonna be hard to topple ER from my top spot for this year. Tam and I had an absolute blast with that game, swapping tips, discoveries, etc. It was a very, very fun "co-op" experience. Frustrations & all. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:18 pm The first one you get is the only one worth using - you're welcome for the time save. :P
Thanks for the word. :D I believe I have 45 or so rune arcs. Also haven't used any of the greases. I'm coming down the stretch with an arsenal. Not sure if that will get me past the last bosses, though.