The Backlog Check-in Vol. 239: 7/30/22: Hard West II/Sword and Fairy: Together Forever Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 239: 7/30/22: Hard West II/Sword and Fairy: Together Forever Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:48 pm Nice, but why didn’t Ashen, Hob and Rustler make the cut? I’m just curious.
Mostly because I don't have unlimited funds. :lol: The other two had the right mix of personal appeal and price.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 239: 7/30/22: Hard West II/Sword and Fairy: Together Forever Edition

Post by argyle »

Don't really have the time/focus in the evenings on weekdays to get into Xeno (plus when I boot it up it's hard to turn it off) so I've been playing a little Inside off of GP myself this week. I like it better than Limbo, even tho they are pretty similar in concept. I guess I'm mainly more curious about what's actually going on in Inside. I get the impression it's not a really long game, so I'm curious how far I am into it. I'm guessing I'll have it finished by the weekend.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:34 am Don't really have the time/focus in the evenings on weekdays to get into Xeno (plus when I boot it up it's hard to turn it off) so I've been playing a little Inside off of GP myself this week. I like it better than Limbo, even tho they are pretty similar in concept. I guess I'm mainly more curious about what's actually going on in Inside. I get the impression it's not a really long game, so I'm curious how far I am into it. I'm guessing I'll have it finished by the weekend.
It's not long, and the narrative is open to interpretation in my view. Good game though that had some fun puzzles, nice presentation and generated some intrigue.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:34 amI've been playing a little Inside off of GP myself this week. I like it better than Limbo, even tho they are pretty similar in concept. I guess I'm mainly more curious about what's actually going on in Inside. I get the impression it's not a really long game, so I'm curious how far I am into it. I'm guessing I'll have it finished by the weekend.
I liked Inside more than Limbo as well. It’s not real long, but it’s still a decent length for what it is. It ends about when I feel that it should, but unfortunately the ending soured the experience a bit for me. I was trying to piece together what was going on throughout the game and I expected to be able to by the end, but the ending is abrupt, weird and unsatisfying IMO.

Anyone who likes Inside should also check out Black the Fall, it’s similar in a lot of ways. I didn’t finish it when I played it, but I’ve been meaning to go back to it since I was somewhat enjoying it.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I think Inside will be my palate cleanser between Elden Ring and Psychonauts 2. I played a demo and loved it.

Speaking of Elden Ring, I somehow defeated the one boss everybody hates on the second attempt. Not sure if that's because I'm seriously overleveled (my play style has me in the 170s in the end game) or because the Blasphemous Blade is so awesome. It sure ain't skill. :lol:

I believe all that's left for me to do is the final boss and that last SOB dragon.

Oh, I also missed a certain missable Legendary Armament to deny me that trophy. :x I might go for that and the ending-related trophies in NG+ to get the platinum if it's not too annoying. We'll see.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 am Not sure if that's because I'm seriously overleveled (my play style has me in the 170s in the end game)...
Lol, I'm not sure how similarly structured ER is to the other Souls games (not talking open world aspects), but if it is like the rest, I'd say you've done your fair share of leveling. You've blunt forced "git gud". :P

Just another aspect of Souls that I love. So many ways to play/approach things. From soul level 1 runs to just grinding the game into submission - and everything in between. You can make your own challenges and enjoy how you like. It's wonderfully layered with possibility in so many ways. These games just have legs like few others, and that's on top of the world class presentation. (artistically, if not always technically)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 amSpeaking of Elden Ring, I somehow defeated the one boss everybody hates on the second attempt. Not sure if that's because I'm seriously overleveled (my play style has me in the 170s in the end game) or because the Blasphemous Blade is so awesome. It sure ain't skill. :lol:
I still plan on getting Elden Ring when I can get it for $20 or less because I’m curious about it, and I want to check it out. I just bought Nioh 2 for $15 despite knowing that I’ll probably find it too difficult, because $15 is what I consider a low enough price to check something out that looks like something that I might like but also know that I might not due to certain things about it. I never know for sure what I’m going to think about a game until I actually play it.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 am I believe all that's left for me to do is the final boss and that last SOB dragon.

Oh, I also missed a certain missable Legendary Armament to deny me that trophy. :x I might go for that and the ending-related trophies in NG+ to get the platinum if it's not too annoying. We'll see.
Ah, I most likely know the dragon you're talking about. Does he have a very metal intro scene? If it's that one, I jammed out to this & finally took him down. :D

And NG+ is very gratifying, for at least the first half to 2/3's of the game I was owning stuff that had given me fits the first time through.

Also, Horizon: Forbidden West went on sale today, so I'll be grabbing that with some of my credit I got w/ the PS5. Won't be PLAYING it right away, but... :lol:
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I might grab Horizon, but it's not likely. I wait on Sony games to get dirt cheap or end up on PS Plus because that's what seems to happen.

Played: Guardians of the Galaxy (on the short list of my favorite game so far this year, really got a whole lot right), Shredder's Revenge... Sonic Forces. It's like...fine. I guess. People gave it too much crap because kiddo is really digging it.

Bought: 428 Shibuya Scramble, AI The Somnium Files, Yoku's Island Express, Dusk Diver, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Street Fighter V Champion Edition+Season 5

So I showed some restraint during the Summer Sale. I avoided big ticket purchase like Horizon and Sonic Origins and ended up with a pretty diverse field of picks. I might grab a couple other things but this should be more than enough for the rest of summer :) .The next day one purchase for me is TMNT Cowabunga Collection at the end of the month. Patiently (but not really) awaiting Valkyrie Profile Lenneth in September too...
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:48 pm Ah, I most likely know the dragon you're talking about. Does he have a very metal intro scene? If it's that one, I jammed out to this & finally took him down. :D

I beat him last night and I'm sorry I didn't see this first. :lol:

argyle wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:48 pm And NG+ is very gratifying, for at least the first half to 2/3's of the game I was owning stuff that had given me fits the first time through.

Also, Horizon: Forbidden West went on sale today, so I'll be grabbing that with some of my credit I got w/ the PS5. Won't be PLAYING it right away, but... :lol:
Wait, you already finished a NG+ run?? Whoa. I'm a bit of a slowpoke, aren't I.