The Backlog Check-in Vol. 239: 7/30/22: Hard West II/Sword and Fairy: Together Forever Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 239: 7/30/22: Hard West II/Sword and Fairy: Together Forever Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Dusk Diver, Gemini: Heroes Reborn, Rustler, Zombieland: Double Tap - Road Trip

Finished: Gemini: Heroes Reborn, Zombieland: Double Tap - Road Trip

Playing: Dusk Diver

Added: Crypt of the Necrodancer, Dusk Diver, Fatal Fury Special, The King of Fighters XIV, Okinawa Rush, Sword of the Necromancer

Games releasing this week
Aero Tales: The World
After Wave: Downfall
American Truck Simulator: Montana
Before We Leave
Camp Canyonwood
Earth’s Shadow
Frogun
Gale of Windoria
The Gallery
GigaBash
Hard West II
Hindsight
Love, Money, Rock ‘n’ Roll
The Mortuary Assistant
Retreat to Enen
South of the Circle
Sword and Fairy: Together Forever
Turbo Golf Racing
Vanaris Tactics
Voidcrisis
Webbed
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 239: 7/30/22: Hard West II/Sword and Fairy: Together Forever Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I played the Dead or Alive 5 and 6 demos, and I liked DoA5 more than DoA6. It’s hard to believe that DoA5 is a PS3 game, because it looks like a PS4 game. It has big well animated characters, great looking environments that are varied, destructible and have multiple areas to them. It looks more like a game made for the PS4 than a remaster of a PS3 game. The demo is the full game, but you can’t play the story mode and there’s only four playable characters. I played the arcade mode, and unfortunately it’s bare bones. You just go from one fight to the next without any kind of a story whatsoever. You fight eight opponents, and then the game ends. There’s no final boss, or an ending. It’s a somewhat fun spectacle fighter where I button mash and watch my character pull of some cool moves, but just fighting one opponent after another with no real rhyme or reason makes it feel somewhat shallow. I don’t know how the story mode is, but the arcade mode is too stripped down. If each character had their own little story and there was a final boss and ending then I would be willing to pay more for it, but as it is I will only buy it when it’s really cheap.

DoA6 feels like a step back instead of a step forward. The graphics are a little better from a technical standpoint since it was made for the PS4, but the environments aren’t nearly as good as the ones in DoA5. It plays almost identical to DoA5 without any real additions other than some cinematic closeup shots that are kind of cool, but it wasn’t as fun to play IMO. I wasn’t really enjoying it, I would rather play DoA5 instead since it’s the better game. The following video explains why DoA6 a disappointing follow-up to DoA5, and a disappointing game in the series in general:

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 239: 7/30/22: Hard West II/Sword and Fairy: Together Forever Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I played Inside on Game Pass, and thought it was pretty good. I liked it better than Limbo, despite being structurally similar. There were some fun puzzles and the presentation/tone was very nice.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Stray

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 44 games

Finished one playthrough of Stray and will probably go back for the collectibles/trophies that I missed. It's well made, thought it was a great game personally...though may not be for everyone (depends on your expectations and other gaming likes). Made it to chapter 14 in FF7R, so I'm moving along nicely there. I think that's about 75% of the way through.

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:34 am I played Inside on Game Pass, and thought it was pretty good. I liked it better than Limbo, despite being structurally similar. There were some fun puzzles and the presentation/tone was very nice.
Never played Limbo, but enjoyed Inside.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:02 am Never played Limbo, but enjoyed Inside.
They're similar enough that you'd probably enjoy it too.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Last week: Finished nothing, played Dragon Quest Builders 2, Katamari (whichever one is on GamePass), Xeno 3

This week: Xeno 3 - for the foreseeable future. ;)

Xeno 3 is awesome. It definitely has more in common with the first one than the second, which is a win in my book (I enjoyed the second but it wasn't as good as the first). I'm closing in on 10 hours into it so far. The battle system is very reminiscent of the first, and just as addictive. But you know you have a winner of an RPG when the story segments are something you look forward to and not just a chore to get back to the game. The characters are all very well written so far and the setup is extremely interesting - I'm very curious to see where it goes. Can't wait to sink more time into this one!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Elden Ring

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: My Time at Portia, American Fugitive

Current backlog: 28 (27 PS4, 1 Vita)

I made it through the last few bosses in Elden Ring and came pretty close to beating the final boss, but then I stopped to take a look at what I might have missed before doing that. Turns out there's a lot, including a very large chunk of the map (MH). So I'm doing that now. I might go for the platinum if it's not too much of a pain to do what's necessary to get a different ending for that.

argyle, did you beat all of the bosses in the game? I finally took down some real SOBs this week (guy on horse blocking the way to last fights, Mohg) and it was very satisfying. Not sure I'll ever be able to beat the last dragon, and I gather the last boss in MH is ridiculous, but otherwise I think I'll have them all cleared.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:13 am argyle, did you beat all of the bosses in the game? I finally took down some real SOBs this week (guy on horse blocking the way to last fights, Mohg) and it was very satisfying. Not sure I'll ever be able to beat the last dragon, and I gather the last boss in MH is ridiculous, but otherwise I think I'll have them all cleared.
As far as I know I did. I'm only 2 trophies away from the plat, and they're both alternate endings. There's a way to backup your save, beat it & get one of the endings, then restore your save but you'd better read up on it first. I don't think a name is a spoiler - I'd say Malenia is probably the toughest boss in the game, either her or the final boss.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Gotcha, thanks. I'll look into the backup save deal before I go to the end.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:13 amAdded to backlog: My Time at Portia, American Fugitive
Nice, but why didn’t Ashen, Hob and Rustler make the cut? I’m just curious.