The Backlog Check-in Vol. 240: 8/6/22: Cult of the Lamb Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 240: 8/6/22: Cult of the Lamb Edition

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:20 pm :shock: wait wait wait...the old man PLATINUM'D ELDEN RING?!?! I thought these games were impossible...ok, if he can do it, maybe I will give it a try when it's sub $20... seriously, how did you do that? Good show old man AND you might have actually sold me on trying one of these Soulsborne things finally ;) .

For what it's worth, I did it mostly by leveling up over a long time (200+ hours) rather than employing any impressive skill.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:23 pmBought: Street Fighter V Champion Edition+Season 5
Is that the $30 bundle? Does it include all of the game’s content? These fighting games have so much additional content added to them over the years that it’s hard to keep up with it all. There are so many different bundles and editions that I get confused as to what content each one offers.

I’m upset by the fact that I just bought the standard edition of The King of Fighters XIV for $9, but right after that sale ended they put the ultimate edition on sale for $12. A mere $3 more for all of the game’s additional content. They did the same thing with Mortal Kombat 11, but thankfully I passed on the standard edition and decided to wait for the ultimate edition to go on sale which it did immediately after.

Is the Street Fighter V bundle that you bought the complete game, and is it worth $30? The standard edition of Street Fighter V is currently on sale for $5, so $25 more for its additional content seems extremely pricey to me. It would really have to add to the base game to make it worth it to me.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m still playing Ion Fury and enjoying it, but I decided to check out Obey Me since I was curious about it. Based on what I played of it, it seems like a decent isometric view hack-and-slash action game. Not great, but worth the $7 that I paid for it. It kind of reminds me of Diablo where you make your way through somewhat maze-like levels fighting waves of enemies, and not much else. The story and characters are kind of entertaining, the voice acting for both the main character and her dog (he talks) are pretty good and they constantly have humorous banter back and forth. The gameplay and combat are ok, you have a few different attacks and abilities such as dashing and can unlock more. It’s nothing too deep, but still somewhat fun. Graphics are also ok, but PS3 quality at best. Music is pretty good. Like I said it’s a decent game, and if you like isometric view action games then I would recommend checking it out for $7.

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I am really getting sucked into DQ XI. The narrative, despite having some decidedly cliche elements, is really clicking with me along with the cast of characters (good and bad), and I'm really enjoying the game-play and exploration of the huge and beautiful world. I've already found 15 mini medals, although I don't know what they do or how to use them - I just know they're supposedly important and a staple of the franchise that are valuable.

I just returned to the ruins of Dundrasil and had the revelations about some characters that placed their importance in relation to the main character and the overall plot.

Anyway, I'm a bit annoyed at myself for waiting so long to jump into this series. I always expected it would really click with me, but I suppose I was just put off by the length - but that doesn't make sense either because I play plenty of long games. I mean this year alone I've put in around 150 hours into a couple of games. (RDR2 and Unreal World) Why did I wait?

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 am I am really getting sucked into DQ XI. The narrative, despite having some decidedly cliche elements, is really clicking with me along with the cast of characters (good and bad), and I'm really enjoying the game-play and exploration of the huge and beautiful world. I've already found 15 mini medals, although I don't know what they do or how to use them - I just know they're supposedly important and a staple of the franchise that are valuable.

I just returned to the ruins of Dundrasil and had the revelations about some characters that placed their importance in relation to the main character and the overall plot.

Anyway, I'm a bit annoyed at myself for waiting so long to jump into this series. I always expected it would really click with me, but I suppose I was just put off by the length - but that doesn't make sense either because I play plenty of long games. I mean this year alone I've put in around 150 hours into a couple of games. (RDR2 and Unreal World) Why did I wait?
Glad to hear it! I loved that game, and DQ is my favorite JRPG series by far. They somehow have kept the traditional aspects intact and the quality consistent across 10 games (I never played the MMO or whatever X was) over 30+ years. So fun and charming. And lots of the side games are great too (Rocket Slime, DQ Monsters, DQ Builders).
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

This doesn’t look like a reboot at all, it looks like the real Saints Row IV. We all know that the Saints Row IV that we got started out as an expansion, and while fun it felt more like a sci-fi alien battling spinoff than a real sequel in the franchise.

While this Saints Row has a new cast of characters, it looks like the true follow-up to Saints Row: The Third. Everything about it from its graphics, gameplay and overall design look similar to Saints Row: The Third. It’s not a reboot or reimagining, it’s simply another Saints Row game just with a different cast of characters.

Instead of calling it strictly Saints Row which makes it seem like a reboot, they should have instead called it something like Saints Row: Santo Ileso like Grand Theft Auto did with Vice City and San Andreas which would convey that it’s Saints Row in a different city, and not a reboot of the series. But regardless, it looks fun and I’m buying it on day one.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Eh, giving it the name "Saints Row" is just marketing. They want customers, especially those who soured on the series, to see it as something new.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:30 am Glad to hear it! I loved that game, and DQ is my favorite JRPG series by far. They somehow have kept the traditional aspects intact and the quality consistent across 10 games (I never played the MMO or whatever X was) over 30+ years. So fun and charming. And lots of the side games are great too (Rocket Slime, DQ Monsters, DQ Builders).
So you've played everything but X?

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Saints Row looks interesting - I think it & Gotham Knights are gonna be the 2 games I'm looking for deals on around or after BF. The only other game this year I will probably get on day 1 is The Callisto Protocol, and I'm banking Xbox credit I'm earning from rewards to knock down the price on it a good bit. It just hit my radar recently - new survival horror game from the devs behind Dead Space, which is all I needed to know really:

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:21 amEh, giving it the name "Saints Row" is just marketing. They want customers, especially those who soured on the series, to see it as something new.
Yeah, you’re probably right although it does kind of seem like they’re making it for fans of the second and third games since that’s what it resembles the most based on what I’ve seen of it. Those are my two favorite games in the series, I enjoyed the fourth game as well but it seemed more like a goofy spinoff than a true sequel.

I’ve been wanting another proper Saints Row game since the third one, and it looks like we’re finally getting it. My only real concern with it is its new cast of characters as they don’t look that appealing to me, but the game world and gameplay look good which are the most important aspects of an open world action game like this IMO.
argyle wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:54 pm Saints Row looks interesting - I think it & Gotham Knights are gonna be the 2 games I'm looking for deals on around or after BF.
Gotham Knights was the game that I was most interested in this year, but they decided to cancel the last gen console versions at the last minute despite it looking like a last gen game in every conceivable way. They claim that it became too technically advanced for last gen consoles, but I call BS on that based on what I’ve seen of the game. I think that they just wanted people to view it as a true current gen game instead of as a cross-gen one since cross-gen games have negative connotations associated with them. But no one is buying that it couldn’t have been on last gen consoles, it’s all marketing. Oh well, I guess that I won’t be able to play it until I get a PS5 which probably won’t be years from now when Grand Theft Auto VI comes out.