The Backlog Check-in Vol. 240: 8/6/22: Cult of the Lamb Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 240: 8/6/22: Cult of the Lamb Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Horizon: Forbidden West & Fury Unleashed

Last week: Finished Inside, played Xeno 3.

This week: More Xeno 3, maybe a smaller game to dabble with.

Well, I finished Inside, and...

huh-confused.gif
huh-confused.gif (3.77 MiB) Viewed 36272 times

Yeah, that was some David Lynch-level "wtf" in that game. I only found 3 or 4 of the hidden doo-dads - does finding all of those make anything make anymore sense at all? I'm guessing "no"...

Xeno continues to be awesome, when I can find time for it.

Oh and I didn't tell you Phase, but thanks for the Sparklite impressions - old-school Zelda style roguelite sounds like my jam, so I'll have to bump it up my list. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:03 amWell, I finished Inside, and...

huh-confused.gif

Yeah, that was some David Lynch-level "wtf" in that game. I only found 3 or 4 of the hidden doo-dads - does finding all of those make anything make anymore sense at all? I'm guessing "no"...
No. :P
argyle wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:03 amOh and I didn't tell you Phase, but thanks for the Sparklite impressions - old-school Zelda style roguelite sounds like my jam, so I'll have to bump it up my list. :)
It’s a good game, I just don’t think that I was really in the mood for it when I played it. I kept dying a lot, and wasn’t making much progress in it. I admittedly got a little frustrated, and quit. But it’s definitely charming and cute, and I could see myself enjoying it more when I’m in the mood for a roguelite.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:20 am I started up Dragon Quest XI a few days ago and I'm already a little more than 10 hours into it. It's my first game in the series (I guess I'm going backwards) despite having many of them in my backlog. I really like the presentation and the gameplay, exploring and story are fun. My only reservation so far is that it seems incredibly easy. I'm at level 13 already and I haven't even spent a single skill point (don't know if this is how all games in the series are) for character building for anyone - both because I always play conservative in most games and because I wanted to see how challenging it would be if I didn't open up some new abilities, and well...it's still just as easy as it was in the beginning. Hopefully I'm just still to early because I would like *some* challenge at least. I still have a little more than a month on my game pass trial sub, so I ought to be able to give it all the time I want to fully explore it.
It's not Dark Souls, to be sure, but I found there to be some challenge later on.

I agree with Phase... DQ VIII comes to mind as one that gives you a challenge early on. It's also probably my favorite.

Played recently: Elden Ring, Inside

Finished: Elden Ring

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 27 (26 PS4, 1 Vita)

I got the Elden Ring platinum. It took a little bit of time to get where I needed to go in NG+, but it was fun. I mowed down the bosses in my path like they were toddlers. :lol:

It speaks well of the game that after playing it for four months or so, I felt a twinge of sadness taking the disc out of my PS4. Definitely won't forget that one.

I found myself watching this video of Elden Ring lore last night and hoo boy, was there a lot I didn't pick up on. :lol:

Anyway, I finally got myself to move on and played some Inside, which seems like a perfect palate cleanser.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:27 am I got the Elden Ring platinum. It took a little bit of time to get where I needed to go in NG+, but it was fun. I mowed down the bosses in my path like they were toddlers. :lol:

It speaks well of the game that after playing it for four months or so, I felt a twinge of sadness taking the disc out of my PS4. Definitely won't forget that one.

I found myself watching this video of Elden Ring lore last night and hoo boy, was there a lot I didn't pick up on. :lol:

Anyway, I finally got myself to move on and played some Inside, which seems like a perfect palate cleanser.
Forgot to congratulate you on your win - and the plat too? Awesome! :D Glad you enjoyed that one - it really is a great game, and I'm looking forward to going back to it whenever they drop the inevitable DLC.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:27 am It's not Dark Souls, to be sure, but I found there to be some challenge later on.

I agree with Phase... DQ VIII comes to mind as one that gives you a challenge early on. It's also probably my favorite.
Yeah, I've read that there's some challenge later, especially post-game if you like. And I'm really enjoying it plenty despite the easy nature of things so far. I just boarded the ship to leave Gondolia, and I'm exploring the new region. But yeah, I'm really digging it thus far.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:27 am It speaks well of the game that after playing it for four months or so, I felt a twinge of sadness taking the disc out of my PS4. Definitely won't forget that one.
Whenever I have that feeling, I know it's a personal all-timer. I love that sensation.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:27 am I found myself watching this video of Elden Ring lore last night and hoo boy, was there a lot I didn't pick up on. :lol:

That's another thing I ADORE with Souls. It almost feels like a second game - digging into the lore and piecing together the story. But the brilliant thing is that it's entirely optional and for those who just want to play and soak up the atmosphere and work on systems/builds, it's perfectly enjoyable in that context. Layers upon layers. And I love narrative that isn't explicit - in all forms, books, film, and games. It blends with and reflects perfectly with the often inscrutable nature of life itself - full of mystery and interpretation. I'm getting all atwitter just thinking about the series. I better calm down. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:55 am Forgot to congratulate you on your win - and the plat too? Awesome! :D Glad you enjoyed that one - it really is a great game, and I'm looking forward to going back to it whenever they drop the inevitable DLC.
Thanks! Wait, DLC is coming? :o

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:21 am That's another thing I ADORE with Souls. It almost feels like a second game - digging into the lore and piecing together the story. But the brilliant thing is that it's entirely optional and for those who just want to play and soak up the atmosphere and work on systems/builds, it's perfectly enjoyable in that context. Layers upon layers. And I love narrative that isn't explicit - in all forms, books, film, and games. It blends with and reflects perfectly with the often inscrutable nature of life itself - full of mystery and interpretation. I'm getting all atwitter just thinking about the series. I better calm down. :P
Well I appreciate the fact that dude took the time to go through every little scrap of lore from each item, character and incident in the world and turn it into a coherent whole.

I'm not sure why or how you've held on this long before playing it, but it will be no less awesome whenever you do.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:39 am Well I appreciate the fact that dude took the time to go through every little scrap of lore from each item, character and incident in the world and turn it into a coherent whole.

I'm not sure why or how you've held on this long before playing it, but it will be no less awesome whenever you do.
I guess I have a thing with delayed gratification. ;) :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:39 pm
canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:39 am Well I appreciate the fact that dude took the time to go through every little scrap of lore from each item, character and incident in the world and turn it into a coherent whole.

I guess I have a thing with delayed gratification. ;) :P
behave.gif
behave.gif (2.55 MiB) Viewed 36251 times

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

:shock: wait wait wait...the old man PLATINUM'D ELDEN RING?!?! I thought these games were impossible...ok, if he can do it, maybe I will give it a try when it's sub $20... seriously, how did you do that? Good show old man AND you might have actually sold me on trying one of these Soulsborne things finally ;) .