The Backlog Check-in Vol. 241: 8/13/22: Madden NFL 23 Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 241: 8/13/22: Madden NFL 23 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:09 pmDifferent strokes and all, but I thought Celeste was probably the best pure platformer I've ever played. I absolutely *love* it. Some of the most mechanical fun I've ever had playing a game.
I can somewhat see the appeal of it if you’re really into challenging pure platformers, but I’m personally not a big fan of them especially ones that are single screen based. I much prefer action platformers with combat and scrolling levels that aren’t strictly made up of continuous platforming challenges. But as you said, different strokes for different folks.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:38 pmThe pixel art graphics are extremely pixelated to the point where it’s difficult to make out what you’re even looking at which isn’t good for a game with as precise level navigation as this one demands and requires.
I haven't played Celeste (it doesn't look like my kind of game, looks like it would appeal to the same type of person that likes Meatboy - aka not me ;) ) so I can't comment on the game, but I absolutely HATE the indie trend of making super overly pixelated graphics. It's an instant turn-off for me - I'll start a trailer, see that art style and just stop it & move on. Now this isn't the 8 or 16-bit esque games like Shovel Knight, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, The Messenger, etc. - I'm talking about games that look like this:

home-game-forest-screenshot.jpg
home-game-forest-screenshot.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 19828 times

Just...no.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:17 am but I absolutely HATE the indie trend of making super overly pixelated graphics. It's an instant turn-off for me...
No, I'm not a fan either. I don't mind retro (obviously), but I like some visual detail. It feels lazy, even if that's clearly not the case in some instances. But, I'm a "whole package" kind of gamer, and I'll overlook some elements I don't like if the balance warrants it. But yeah, that look...not so good.

Ugh.

But I'm (very) glad I overcame that aversion in this case.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:17 amI absolutely HATE the indie trend of making super overly pixelated graphics. It's an instant turn-off for me - I'll start a trailer, see that art style and just stop it & move on. Now this isn't the 8 or 16-bit esque games like Shovel Knight, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, The Messenger, etc. - I'm talking about games that look like this:

home-game-forest-screenshot.jpg

Just...no.
I agree, I don’t like overly pixelated graphics either. I mentioned before that I don’t really like going further back than 16-bit graphics, but 8-bit graphics can be ok too depending on the game. However, I don’t like extremely pixelated graphics like Celeste has. They’re too rudimentary looking, and require you to use your imagination more than I care to do.
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:43 amI'm not a fan either. I don't mind retro (obviously), but I like some visual detail. It feels lazy, even if that's clearly not the case in some instances. But, I'm a "whole package" kind of gamer, and I'll overlook some elements I don't like if the balance warrants it.
I’m a whole package kind of gamer as well, while I don’t really like overly pixelated graphics they’re not automatically a dealbreaker for me if a game as a whole is entertaining to play. However, I won’t enjoy the overall experience quite as much as I would if I found the graphics more appealing.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

People have apparently been getting Saints Row early, and posting videos of it on YouTube. Out of curiosity I watched a video that shows the beginning of the game, and based on it I think that the story is going to be better and more interesting than I thought that it was going to be. Only three more days to go.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm People have apparently been getting Saints Row early, and posting videos of it on YouTube. Out of curiosity I watched a video that shows the beginning of the game, and based on it I think that the story is going to be better and more interesting than I thought that it was going to be. Only three more days to go.
Let's not rush the weekend by, k thnx.
nacho libre.gif
nacho libre.gif (1.18 MiB) Viewed 19809 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis