The Backlog Check-in Vol. 241: 8/13/22: Madden NFL 23 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 241: 8/13/22: Madden NFL 23 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Ion Fury, Shadow Man Remastered

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Ion Fury

Added: Agents of Mayhem, Elex II, Obey Me, Street Fighter V: Champion Edition, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Games releasing this week
Backpack Hero
Blossom Tales II: The Minotaur Prince
The Bonfire: Forsaken Lands
Catizens
City Eye
Cursed to Golf
Droid Trivia
Dyna Bomb 2
EEK3
Far Away From Home
Fashion Police Squad
Expedition Agartha
Ikonei Island: An Earthlock Adventure
Kirby’s Dream Buffet
Lair and Story
Little League World Series Baseball 2022
Madden NFL 23
Monster Tribe
Mutropolis
Path of Exile: Lake of Kalandra
Regiments
Robo Revenge Squad
Rollerdrome
RPG Time: The Legend of Wright
Slaycation Paradise
Space Tail: Lost in the Sand
Spark the Electric Jester 3
Super Bullet Break
Sir Whoopass
A Tale of Paper
Thymesia
Tribes of Midgar
Voyage
A Walk With Yiayia
Way of the Hunter
We are OFK
ZooKeeper
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 241: 8/13/22: Madden NFL 23 Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Stray

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

I'm in the last chapter of FF7R, the end is near! Going to focus on that this week to finish it up and then figure out what's next on PS4.

EDIT: FF7R story is complete! Had fun with it and I'll buy the next installment at some point after release.
Last edited by jfissel on Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Welp, I'm a Dragon Quest fan.

I'm not done with it - I reached the turning point where there's a separation of sorts (trying to be as vague as I can). But I've played enough to already know how much I love it. What a game!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:36 amWelp, I'm a Dragon Quest fan.

I'm not done with it - I reached the turning point where there's a separation of sorts (trying to be as vague as I can). But I've played enough to already know how much I love it. What a game!
There’s no need to be vague, we’ve all played it here. :P
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:22 am

No, we haven't. :(

Games added: Fran Bow, Little Misfortune

Last week: Finished Fran Bow, played Xenoblade 3 & Two Point Campus

This week: More Xeno 3 & Two Point, and I'll probably play Little Misfortune during downtime at work (assuming there is any)

Fran Bow was incredible, but I already talked it up in last week's thread. Xeno 3 continues to be incredible - huge open world that's tons of fun to explore and a very engaging story with great characters - what else could you ask for? I think Two Point is the only game that I haven't talked about yet - if you played & liked Two Point Hospital, you'll like this too. And if you ever played & liked Theme Hospital back in the day, you'll like Two Point Hospital. Very fun & addictive sim games w/ a great sense of humor. If you've never tried one, they're highly recommended (and Campus is on GP right now).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:03 am
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:22 amThere’s no need to be vague, we’ve all played it here. :P
I thought that you played it back when it came out, and that’s when you made your avatar a Dragon Quest slime. But now I remember that you played it, but didn’t finish it. I think that there were a few games around that same time such as Darksiders III, Ni no Kuni II and The Outer Worlds that you played, but didn’t finish. You’re as bad as me when it comes starting games, but not finishing them. :P
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:03 am
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:22 am
That is wild. I think I became a fan of both Dragon Quest and argyle because of an IGN PS2 board recommendation of DQ VIII. I thought you were really into the series.

Played recently: Inside, Psychonauts 2

Finished: Inside

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 26 (25 PS4, 1 Vita)

Psychonauts is awesome, as expected. Very happy it seems to flow straight from the OG as if it came out in 2007 rather than 2022.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:22 am There’s no need to be vague, we’ve all played it here. :P
Rather than relying on memory, I'll always assume that someone here hasn't played what I'm playing. Some are more sensitive to spoilers than others and with certain games/series more than others. I just don't want to ruin anyone's fun if I can help it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:04 amRather than relying on memory, I'll always assume that someone here hasn't played what I'm playing. Some are more sensitive to spoilers than others and with certain games/series more than others. I just don't want to ruin anyone's fun if I can help it.
I understand, and that’s a good thing. I was just pointing out that all of us here had played Dragon Quest XI, so there wasn’t really a reason to worry about spoiling anything. However, I forgot that argyle didn’t finish it. Cane, crim, j and myself all have.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Been a week fam. j...I thought we were friends :( ... :P
jfissel wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:41 pm
crimson_tide wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:16 pm Ok...j...what even is Lost Judgment? I am on chapter 5 now and this is flipping insane. What are they on about? The chapter is titled Double Jeopardy...but this is not what double jeopardy is. At all. At any place on the planet. Also, criminal justice is not determined by overwhelming public sentiment based on a couple viral videos. They have completely lost the plot at the moment for this utterly ridiculous reveal. DQ Builders 2 is sitting right over there looking real good for my big end of summer game if they don't fix this in...I will give them two chapters...
Ok crim, I got a refresh on the chapters and story. Stay with it for a few more chapters as the story will unfold some more though I can't say what your response will be.
Not good, j. The response will not be good.

Played: A LOT of Lost Judgment...now did I enjoy A LOT? NO. Absolutely not. But I KEEP GOING BACK. I have no real excuse for this. It's my own fault. I am mostly mad at the school stories (j...fam...warn a bruh about the robotics club next time... :P ) and this bland ass handyman character I swear they thought would be Knuckles to Yagami's Sonic or something...but no. I had to turn it off and go to sleep last night when that loser showed up again. Also, I am absolutely certain I figured out the central mystery and now I am also mad that it's going to end up being the twist. And if it isn't then this is just going to be really stupid and I will still be mad. I just am not feeling this RGG joint. I fell off of Dead Souls but the was only because I didn't like the gunplay. But the story, side stories and characters were still aces. The tone of this thing though, yikes. School stories is like the perfect illustration of this. They want Yagami to so desperately be cool. He's coming off like the Sleeping Dogs dude which is the main reason I never really cared for that game. There's actually a story beat titled Hello Fellow Kids which means the localization dept clearly knew the assignment. He's too good at everything instantly, he's grossly overpowered in combat, his script is mid at best. I have found none of the school stories that engaging or fun because it's lacking all the absurdist charm and tonal whiplash I associate with these games. Even Lost Paradise seemed to have more engaging side content and that game took place in a post apocalyptic desert :P .

Bought: I think since this year was my fighting game arc, I might try going down a racing game arc next year. I bough the Need for Speed 3 pack for $8, Sparklite and...Aggelos? I think that's it. I have a soft spot for racing games and they can be fun in small chunks like fighters can so I want to put them back in rotation. Burt arcade racers, not like GT of Forza. No, too simmy for my blood...

This week:...I am so far down the hole in Lost Judgment, I HAVE to finish it this week. In goty, I expect it to rank exceptionally low at this point. It's probably the most disappointing game I have played since P5 Strikers. But there were spots of brilliance there. I am not seeing a redemption for Lost Judgment in the cards...I will gladly eat crow if it gets better but at 40 hours in, I just don't see it...