The Backlog Check-in Vol. 242: 8/20/22: Saints Row Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 242: 8/20/22: Saints Row Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:52 am Saints Row is a perfect example as to why I usually don’t listen to critics. I pretty much know if a game looks like something that I will enjoy or not, and everything that I’ve seen of this game looked like something that I would enjoy and it is. If other people don’t like this game because it’s not their thing then that’s perfectly fine because it’s not going to appeal to everyone since it’s not that kind of game, but it’s also not a dumpster fire like I’ve seen some critics and gamers claiming that it is. To me this is just another case of a lot of people jumping on a hate train.

I created my character (female with voice 4), and was laughing out loud throughout a lot of the beginning linear scripted tutorial. The voice actress for this voice is totally self aware and comedic, a perfect fit for the protagonist of this silly game. And that’s exactly what this game is... silly. It’s tongue in cheek, and not meant to be taken seriously like a lot of people seem to be doing with it.

The story is a rags to riches tale, and an origins story for this new incarnation of the Saints. The interactions between the friends are purposely goofy, because it’s a parody of young adult sitcoms in a lot of ways. The tutorial of the game sets the tone of it right away, and it’s either your brand of humor or it isn’t. I’ve been personally finding it to be a nice change from so much seriousness in games these days.

The game itself is a throwback to the earlier Saints Row games in both design and gameplay, it seems like a Saints Row game that would have come out between 2 and 3 to me. It’s the most similar to those two games, especially 2 which is a good thing IMO since it’s my favorite in the series.

It’s nice playing a third person open world urban action game again since they’re one of my favorite genres, and we don’t get that many of them now like we used to. The game world is big, well designed and varied. It’s fun just driving around in it listening to the music on the radio stations, because there’s some really good songs on all of the stations and the fake advertisements are funny too. There’s a lot of optional side activities to do littered all over the map, I’ve been mainly going around doing them instead of playing the actual story missions. The game is just fun to play, and there’s a lot to see and do in it.

I’m glad that I didn’t listen to the haters, because I’ve been enjoying it. It looks and runs good on PS4, and other than for some texture pop-in I haven’t really experienced any technical issues. It’s not nearly as bad as a lot of critics have been making it out to be IMO.

If you don't finish it, you'll be proving the haters right! :lol:
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:29 amIf you don't finish it, you'll be proving the haters right! :lol:
I really don’t expect to stop playing it until I finish it, because it’s been giving me old school third person open world urban action game vibes in the best of ways. I stayed up late playing it, and I just got up now and want to play it. It’s been a while since I’ve wanted to do that with a game. It’s one of my favorite genres after all, and it feels like forever since I played a new one unless you count Watch Dogs: Legion which I don’t.

Of course I expect to start having some issues with it the more that I play it, but I’ve played enough of it so far to pretty much know that I will want to play it until the end. I think that you, argyle and crim might like it if you like the older Saints Row games, but when it’s cheaper. I don’t regret paying full price for it because I’m enjoying it and it has a lot of content, but I would say that it’s worth more around $30-$40 since it’s a AA game and not a AAA one.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I'm sure I'll give it a shot at some point, just because there are so few games in that genre, which is my favorite.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:52 am Saints Row is a perfect example as to why I usually don’t listen to critics.
I don't care about any critics *scoring*, but I'll read the content of reviews if I want some more information to see how their takes align with my own preferences. Like you, I know what I like, so ultimately I trust myself and my own instincts. That's one thing I've never understood with the gaming community at large - getting all riled up about media reception, positively or negatively. Who gives a flying ****! And the allegiance to platforms, all that nonsense. I don't get it. Tribalism is beyond me, or I am beyond it. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:34 am
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:52 am Saints Row is a perfect example as to why I usually don’t listen to critics.
I'll read the content of reviews if I want some more information to see how their takes align with my own preferences.
Yep, that's me, and I have 1-2 reviewers that I trust to offer the info I need to make my decision. Of course, some series are "review proof" for me (Xenoblade, for example). But for something I'm on the fence about, I like to see what I'm getting into before dropping the money. From what I've seen of SR, I don't think I'd personally enjoy it - but I'm glad you are Phase. :)

I spent my $40 Xbox credit on the DLC bundle for Forza Horizon 5 which got me the Hot Wheels expansion + a ton of cars now, and whatever the next major expansion will be when it releases. I love FH5 and had wanted that anyway, so I'm happy with that decision. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis