The Backlog Check-in Vol. 244: 9/3/22: NBA 2K23/Splatoon 3/SteelRising Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 244: 9/3/22: NBA 2K23/Splatoon 3/SteelRising Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Saints Row

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Saints Row

Added: Anima: Gate of Memories - The Nameless Chronicles, Dawn of Fear, Gauntlet: Slayer Edition, Knack II, Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time, Samurai Shodown, Tekken 7 Definitive Edition

Games releasing this week
Black Witchcraft
Block’Em!
Broken Pieces
Circus Electrique
Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes
Disney Dreamlight Valley
Game Type DX
Garden Simulator
Gloomwood
Gunner Heat PC
Horizon Chase 2
Hyperviolent
Jack Move
Kaichu: The Kaiju Dating Sim
Look Inside 2
Mozart Requiem
NBA 2K23
Nine Noir Lives
Railbound
The Ramen Sensei
Re:Legend
Roadwarden
Splatoon 3
SteelRising
Temtem
The Tomorrow Children
Tower Princess: Knight’s Trial
Train Sim World 3
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 244: 9/3/22: NBA 2K23/Splatoon 3/SteelRising Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: TMNT NES (man...this game is just not...good :P ), Trials of Mana, Cars 3, Overcooked, Streets of Rage 2, Pocket Fighter, Team Sonic Racing, Ikaruga, Ghost of Tsushima. I think that's it.

Beat: Shockingly nothing

This week: TMNT Cowabunga Collection, Trials of Mana, Ghost of Tsushima and Cars 3 and Overcooked here and there.

So the child and I were home alone watching WWE on Saturday afternoon. After that, she wanted to play something together, hence the huge list. Turns out 7 is the right age for fighting games. She digs Pocket Fighter and is not terrible since the special moves are mapped to the shoulder buttons (once I get her to block, she may even be good at them :P ) . She dug Overcooked, she really likes co-op games and games where you design things. Seems like a candidate for Animal Crossing on her Switch.

I am going to try juggling multiple games. I figure my main problem lately is analysis paralysis then I end up playing nothing. That or I get into something and get worried I won't have time to make progress. I figure with a multi game approach, I will know I can jump right into something. I will try this for a few months and see how it goes.

Shout out to Phase for naming last week's thread properly and have a happy Labor Day all. Tomorrow is back to work and starts the prep for Thursday's first day of school in NYC :) !
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 244: 9/3/22: NBA 2K23/Splatoon 3/SteelRising Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Not really playing anything, so...nothing to say. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Stray

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

Happy Labor Day! Another slow week for me, unfortunately, with nothing played.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:13 am So the child and I were home alone watching WWE on Saturday afternoon. After that, she wanted to play something together, hence the huge list. Turns out 7 is the right age for fighting games. She digs Pocket Fighter and is not terrible since the special moves are mapped to the shoulder buttons (once I get her to block, she may even be good at them :P ) . She dug Overcooked, she really likes co-op games and games where you design things. Seems like a candidate for Animal Crossing on her Switch.
That is awesome!

Played recently: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD, Tails of Iron

Finished: THPS

Added to backlog: Super Monkey Ball, Nobody Saves the World

Current backlog: 26 (25 PS4, 1 Vita)

I've been battling COVID for the past couple of weeks. Thankfully, things took a good turn Friday and keep improving. Last week was miserable.

So I did get in some gaming over that time. Played and finished THPS (I guess I finished it... never saw any credits, but I completed all but a handful of the challenges on all the levels in both games).

I got Super Monkey Ball on sale thinking I'd play it with the granddaughter... it was a family game back in the day... but as much as I love all things monkey and want it to be fun, it just isn't. The controls are terrible here in 2022, both in the marble rolling and the minigames, and it is overall an extremely unpleasant experience.

I fired up Tails of Iron, which was billed as a 2D Souls-type game. I don't know about that, but it is fantastic.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:18 am I got Super Monkey Ball on sale thinking I'd play it with the granddaughter... it was a family game back in the day... but as much as I love all things monkey and want it to be fun, it just isn't. The controls are terrible here in 2022, both in the marble rolling and the minigames, and it is overall an extremely unpleasant experience.
Back in the day, DG and I referred to Monkey Ball as "Super Vomit Monkey Vomit Ball Vomit Vomit". I swear, playing that game is like someone tying a camera to a rope & just swinging it in circles. No thank you.

Games added: Nothing.

Last week: When I got time to play, I was more in the mood for something just pick-up-and-play, so mainly Forza Horizon 5 & TP Campus. Over the weekend I decided to fire up Horizon Forbidden West, and I'm really digging that so far. Definitely feels more refined & polished than the first.

This week: More of those. Gonna start bringing my Switch to work & playing some Xeno 3 in my downtime, as soon as the screen magnifier I ordered shows up so my blind butt can see it. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:50 am Back in the day, DG and I referred to Monkey Ball as "Super Vomit Monkey Vomit Ball Vomit Vomit". I swear, playing that game is like someone tying a camera to a rope & just swinging it in circles. No thank you.
Perfect description!
argyle

Post by argyle »

So NISA announced the inevitable but appreciated localization of the remaster of VanillaWare's GrimGrimoire, originally for the PS2. It came out after Odin Sphere, and for whatever reason I never got around to playing it but I've always wanted to. So I'm definitely looking forward to this one. I'm not much for special editions these days, but they announced one for this and I may have to bite on it - priced pretty reasonably and has some nice extras (and I just love VanillaWare):

https://store.nisamerica.com/grimgrimoi ... ndo-swtich
ggom_nsw_full_le_white_esrb.jpg
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

That's beautiful. I recall trying Grim Grimoire on PS2 and not getting far... I'm not a fan of real-time strategy.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:46 am That's beautiful. I recall trying Grim Grimoire on PS2 and not getting far... I'm not a fan of real-time strategy.
I know there are supposed to be some gameplay tweaks as well, but I don't know if it'd be enough to change your mind if you don't like the genre at all. I don't think I ever even got past the title screen in my copy.

What I really hope they announce next (unless it's something brand-new) is a remaster of Murasama: The Demon Blade. I absolutely loved that game.