Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 245: 9/10/22: Freedom Planet 2 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

A Valkyrie Elysium demo will be available tomorrow:

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/13238-squa ... tember-15

I look forward to checking it out.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played and finished the Valkyrie Elysium demo today, and including the tutorial, first chapter and two sub quests on offer it was about three hours long.

I really enjoyed it, but it’s less of an RPG and more of an action hack ‘n slash game than I was expecting. It almost completely consists of making your way through linear levels fighting enemies with a little platforming here and there. There are some branching paths that lead to loot, but it’s pretty much going from point A to point B with little to no exploration.

The story is a bit thin, and there’s not much character interaction. The combat is definitely the star of the show with a lot of different weapon attacks, magic attacks, a soul chain grapple, a block, parry, dodge dash and spirit summons. It has a pretty good skill tree, too.

The game itself is somewhat low budget AA mid-tier, and shouldn’t be selling for $60 IMO. It should be $40, and if it was I then would buy it on day one. It essentially looks, feels and plays like a PS3/Xbox 360 generation game, and it’s kind of repetitive. The combat is a lot of fun, but it’s almost all that you do.

I hope that the first chapter isn’t representative of the entire game, because if it is then it’s basically just a linear action hack ‘n slash game and I was hoping for something more than that.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:28 pm I played and finished the Valkyrie Elysium demo today, and including the tutorial, first chapter and two sub quests on offer it was about three hours long.

I really enjoyed it, but it’s less of an RPG and more of an action hack ‘n slash game than I was expecting. It almost completely consists of making your way through linear levels fighting enemies with a little platforming here and there. There are some branching paths that lead to loot, but it’s pretty much going from point A to point B with little to no exploration.

The story is a bit thin, and there’s not much character interaction. The combat is definitely the star of the show with a lot of different weapon attacks, magic attacks, a soul chain grapple, a block, parry, dodge dash and spirit summons. It has a pretty good skill tree, too.

The game itself is somewhat low budget AA mid-tier, and shouldn’t be selling for $60 IMO. It should be $40, and if it was I then would buy it on day one. It essentially looks, feels and plays like a PS3/Xbox 360 generation game, and it’s kind of repetitive. The combat is a lot of fun, but it’s almost all that you do.

I hope that the first chapter isn’t representative of the entire game, because if it is then it’s basically just a linear action hack ‘n slash game and I was hoping for something more than that.
That's disappointing, but then again I was disappointed when I first heard it was an action game at all. The Valkyrie games were known for their intricate tactical turn-based combat - take that away, and there's absolutely no reason to put the same series name on the box. Granted, I'm used to this kind of garbage by now, especially from S-E, but it's still disappointing.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I'd really like to go back and play the OG Valkyrie Profile. You may recall I attempted it on PSP while in the hospital after a near-death experience years ago and just couldn't. I'm going to try to find my PSP this weekend and see if it works.

Here's some good RPG news: Suikoden I and II remasters!

argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:43 am Here's some good RPG news: Suikoden I and II remasters!
I just read this! Awesome news - I'm actually pondering selling my originals now (esp. since S2 goes for $350+ complete, and mine is MINT).

Also, I never played through the original VP either, but the second one was one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2. I'd love to see HD ports of both of those.

Also-also, this apparently isn't new news, but there's a new Fairy Fencer game coming - possibly the only Compile Heart game that I've really enjoyed.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:43 am Here's some good RPG news: Suikoden I and II remasters!
Hmmm, I don't know much about that series. But if it's old school JRPG awesomeness then I'm sure it's up my alley.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:16 am Hmmm, I don't know much about that series. But if it's old school JRPG awesomeness then I'm sure it's up my alley.
I'm pretty confident you'd dig those.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:21 amThat's disappointing, but then again I was disappointed when I first heard it was an action game at all. The Valkyrie games were known for their intricate tactical turn-based combat - take that away, and there's absolutely no reason to put the same series name on the box.
I’m personally not disappointed with it having real-time action combat because the combat is really good, it’s actually some of the best that I’ve experienced in a game in a while. It’s definitely the highlight of the game IMO. Unfortunately, just about everything else about the game is kind of average. The story and characters don’t seem very interesting, the graphics are a little dated looking and the levels are linear without offering much else to do but fight enemies in them. The little platforming offered is more for traversal than actual platforming challenges, and there’s no key item puzzles or puzzles of any kind. It’s basically just a linear action hack ‘n slash game. While the combat is really good, it’s not all that I want to do in a game like this. I was having enough fun with it to buy it for $40 or less, but $60 is too much to ask for it IMO.
canedaddy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:43 amHere's some good RPG news: Suikoden I and II remasters!
I’m looking forward to playing these again. I didn’t get very far in them back when I originally played them despite kind of liking them because I wasn’t really into turn-based RPGs at that time, but I started to get into them more after that. I hope that they’re reasonably priced, but even if they are I will still probably wait to buy them on sale since I don’t need them on day one.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

argyle and old man: they are re releasing Valkyrie Profile Lenneth digitally at the end of the month with Elysium. It can't be more than $15-20. Soooo...yeah.

Also school started again. Soooo...yeah to that too. I will check in when I can but the beginning of the year is always rough (in a good way, I like being busy). Hope all is well fam!

Also. ****. YES. I am looking forward to that Suikoden remaster...just hope Konami doesn't try to like...make new ones. I remember what they did my boy Sparkster in Rocket Knight. No...no no. No.

No.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:23 pm argyle and old man: they are re releasing Valkyrie Profile Lenneth digitally at the end of the month with Elysium. It can't be more than $15-20. Soooo...yeah.
That is great news. I found my PSP and games, which I boxed and sealed up long ago. I do not own the PSP Valkyrie Profile Lenneth anymore, and the PSP itself won't work unless it's plugged in. (I had bought a replacement battery and hoped it would still function, but nope.)