The Backlog Check-in Vol. 248: 10/1/22: Asterigos: Curse of the Stars/Overwatch 2 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 248: 10/1/22: Asterigos: Curse of the Stars/Overwatch 2 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Added: Nothing

When I was compiling this week’s game release list, I saw that Asterigos: Curse of the Stars is coming out October 11th. It’s one of my most anticipated games of the year, I even said that it could end up being my GOTY. So to find out that it’s just a little over a week away is great news. But wait, it gets even better. If you preorder it, you get to play it three days before it officially releases. Since I was planning on buying it on day one anyway, of course I’m going to preorder it to be able to play it three days early.

They’re going to release a physical copy of the deluxe edition at a later time, but it’s $10 more. So while I would prefer to get a physical copy, I’m still going to buy the standard digital version of it because not only is it $10 cheaper but I also get to play it this Friday at 9pm instead of waiting until I don’t know when to buy it physically.

Games releasing this week
Alfred Hitchcock - Vertigo
Asterigos: Curse of the Stars
Chaos;Head Noah/Chaos;Child Double Pack
Dakar Desert Rally
Deathverse: Let it Die
Dragon Prana
Dread
Endless Memories
Falling Out
L.O.L Surprise! B.B.s Born to Travel
Medieval Dynasty
My Last Night Here
Overwatch 2
The Plague Doctor of Wippra
PlayStation Stars
Priest Simulator
Rivalia: Dungeon Raiders
Splatter - Zombiecalypse Now
SuperPower 3
Triple Take
Wizorb
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 248: 10/1/22: Asterigos: Curse of the Stars/Overwatch 2 Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: Ys 9, DQ Builders 2, TMNT Turtles in Time Arcade...I think that's it...

Bought: Nothing

Beat: Turtles in Time

This week: More Ys 9 and DQ Builders 2

The kiddo is NOT feeling TMNT games that don't have special moves tied to a button. Our trip through Turtles in Time was suboptimal :P . Shredder's Revenge may have spoiled her. I hope SNES Turtles in Time is better. She was also mad the arcade lacked Bebop and Rocksteady. So I have raised her right at least :) .

Ys 9 and its mid ass basic nonsense is just delightful. It feels so PS2 (almost PS1 Threads of Fate if Corona were a huge sprawling city jail thing) and I am just eating it up. It's also as Kingdom Hearts as can be except it takes like actual skill to get benefits like slowing time (read: I very rarely get those benefits :P ). I just finished the part where I get to dual wield with a character so I Roxas'd the hell of the moment and had a real good time. I like that most of the side quests are tied to your bar. I like the side quests destinations being visible on the map. I like the soundtrack that is needlessly going so hard in dungeons and bosses (the hell is with Ys and metal soundtracks?). I like that the like choices make Adol sound like a dick half the time. I like A LOT about this game. It's not goty material but it'll rank in the top 5 at the moment. It doesn't go out of its way in most areas (except the soundtrack) but it's fun as hell to play!

DQ Builders 2 is just the bee's knees. Perfect for after work sessions where I don't want to engage too much or feel stressed by a game. It's just farm, beat the hell out of everything, gather stuff, build and farm and get literal gratitude raining from people for the most basic actions. It's the definition of a cozy game.

I don't know what I will buy next. If Lenneth came with it, I might have bit of VP. I mention that because it'll likely be a Square game. It's like they woke up recently and remembered who the **** they were, have you seen their output recently and for the rest of the year? It's like one FF game, zero KH and then every type of RPG you can imagine. The hell are they drinking over there?
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 248: 10/1/22: Asterigos: Curse of the Stars/Overwatch 2 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m only mildly enjoying Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it’s not as good as the first two games IMO. Despite it offering a lot of what I like in third person action adventure games, it hasn’t really been compelling me to play. It feels kind of like a by the numbers type of game without anything about it that really elevates it. I still plan on finishing it, but it hasn’t been addicting me like the Tomb Raider games usually do.

I really enjoyed the Valkyrie Elysium demo, I played through it twice. I wanted to buy the game on day one, but it’s not worth $60 IMO. It’s a somewhat low budget and short game, so it’s not something that I want to pay more than $40 for.
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:57 amYs 9 and its mid ass basic nonsense is just delightful.
Did you buy this on sale? I’ve been waiting for it to be $30, or less. I really like Ys VIII, so I expect to like this as well.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I got it as part of whatever the non equivalent equivalent to Game Pass that PS+ they upgraded me to over the summer. That's how I played Miles Morales, Ghost of Tsushima, Guardians of the Galaxy, Trials of Mana, Stray and a bunch of other things I have dabbled in over the summer. So being cheap and patient with games has super worked out for me with the PS+ overhaul :) ! There's still a bunch in there I want to try like Death End Request and maybe Ys 8 too.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it was the Temple of Doom of the latest Tomb Raider games. It wasn’t as good as the first two games, but it was still decent throughout. They toned back on the combat in favor of adventure elements, platforming and puzzle solving. There are a few town and village hub areas where you interact with NPCs, and take on side missions. These aspects felt like RPG elements being shoehorned into the game, and made it drag a bit. The combat and platforming with scripted events and set pieces were the best parts of the game, everything else was kind of dull. I still enjoyed it for the most part, but it was a bit of a letdown compared to the first two games.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Ender Lillies, Nier Replicant, & a cheap mystery bundle for PC whose highlight (for me) is Crown Trick

Last week: Finished TMNT Shredder's Revenge (story mode), played Dreamlight Valley. Also dabbled with some emulated stuff on the Deck.

This week: Still playing a little TMNT & Dreamlight, but I think I'm almost done with both. Will probably start Crown Trick on the Deck this week, and thinking of starting Plague Tale on the Xbox.

I meant to buy Nier Automata, but I forgot they had re-released the first game this gen so I just asked the guys at GS for "a used copy of Nier for the Xbox". Was talking to them & not paying attention, so didn't realize until I got home. I don't have Replicant tho, so figured I'll just keep it & wait for a sale on Automata. Fun fact: I have Automata for the PS4, but I prefer to play my Xbox these days over it whenever possible. Yes, it's silly. No, I don't care. :P

Paid $7 for the bundle w/ Crown Trick, so even if it ends up being the only one that I enjoy out of that set I'm good with that. I'm assuming I'll really enjoy it appears to be a REAL rogue-like (turn based where the world moves when you move) but it's absolutely gorgeous.

My dad (who just turned 87 yesterday) is having eye surgery on Tuesday, so I'm taking off this week to drive him & my mom back & forth to the hospital (they live about 50 miles away, and he'll have to go back on Weds to get the patch taken off) and to help them out. So thoughts & prayers are appreciated. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Yakuza 6

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 25 (24 PS4, 1 Vita)

Yakuza 6 is a blast. The side stuff seems like a step down from my last trip with Kazzy (Yakuza 0) but the gripping storyline and other stuff make up for it. I find it very hard to put down.

argyle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:16 am played Dreamlight Valley
*gets VERY excited that a sequel to Stardew Valley is out*
*finds out it's a Disney life sim from Gameloft, weeps and wails*

argyle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:16 am My dad (who just turned 87 yesterday) is having eye surgery on Tuesday, so I'm taking off this week to drive him & my mom back & forth to the hospital (they live about 50 miles away, and he'll have to go back on Weds to get the patch taken off) and to help them out. So thoughts & prayers are appreciated. :)
Praying for him and all y'all.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 am
argyle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:16 am played Dreamlight Valley
*gets VERY excited that a sequel to Stardew Valley is out*
*finds out it's a Disney life sim from Gameloft, weeps and wails*
:lol:
argyle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:16 am My dad (who just turned 87 yesterday) is having eye surgery on Tuesday, so I'm taking off this week to drive him & my mom back & forth to the hospital (they live about 50 miles away, and he'll have to go back on Weds to get the patch taken off) and to help them out. So thoughts & prayers are appreciated. :)
Wow, 87. That’s older than cane. :P I hope that all goes smoothly and successfully.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played Dawn of Fear, Fernz Gate, Gauntlet and Resident Evil 2 (remake). While I liked them all for the most part (especially RE2 remake), Fernz Gate is the one that I decided to keep playing because I’m in the mood for a retro style 2D pixel art turn-based JRPG more than the others.

Dawn of Fear is a poor man’s Resident Evil most similar to the first game, it barely has any production values and was clearly made by a very small development team. But despite that it still has classic survival horror appeal with its exploration of a creepy mansion, limited resource combat and puzzles. I’m just not really in a survival horror mood right now which is why I stopped playing RE2 remake as well despite really liking it.

Gauntlet is a decent more modern take on the classic arcade game, it has a bit of a Diablo vibe to it. Of course it’s not as good as Diablo and is a lot more arcade-y, but it’s still a decent topdown view dungeon crawler. My main complaint is that the camera is zoomed way above everything making things tiny. I would like the camera to be closer to the action, but despite that it’s still a fairly good dungeon crawler where you collect loot and slaughter onslaughts of enemies.

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:24 pm I’m only mildly enjoying Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it’s not as good as the first two games IMO.
That's disappointing to hear because for me the first reboot, while decent, was a far cry from what I wanted in TR. (Think Core developed entries.)
argyle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:16 am Paid $7 for the bundle w/ Crown Trick, so even if it ends up being the only one that I enjoy out of that set I'm good with that. I'm assuming I'll really enjoy it appears to be a REAL rogue-like (turn based where the world moves when you move) but it's absolutely gorgeous.
I've really come to love true rogue-likes over the years. I love the sense of consequence with perma-death rogues as well. I don't mind if there is some carry over from run to run, but I don't need it to enjoy the genre. Maybe I'll get to Crown Trick one day.
Sending good vibes:

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:06 am Wow, 87. That’s older than cane. :P I hope that all goes smoothly and successfully.
Nobody's older than cane. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!