The Backlog Check-in Vol. 250: 10/15/22: Gotham Knights/A Plague Tale: Requiem Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 250: 10/15/22: Gotham Knights/A Plague Tale: Requiem Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I fired up Savage Halloween in the spirit of the season. It's a retro-inspired platformer/shooter reminiscent of the NES era. I've only played an hour, but it's good fun with some decent challenge so far.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 250: 10/15/22: Gotham Knights/A Plague Tale: Requiem Edition

Post by argyle »

I am cautiously excited about this - I *really* hope they don't screw it up:

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:24 am I am cautiously excited about this - I *really* hope they don't screw it up:

When I watched the trailer, I *KNEW* that that are, in fact, going to screw it up. :(

They have no idea what they're doing or what Silent Hill *is*, if that trailer is any indication, imho.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:24 amI am cautiously excited about this - I *really* hope they don't screw it up:

That looks like it could be really good, but why am I getting the feeling that they’re going to censor/leave out some of the more disturbing story elements and imagery of the original? Probably because everything just seems to be more watered down these days to try and not offend anyone. I hope that I’m wrong, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:12 am Probably because everything just seems to be more watered down these days to try and not offend anyone. I hope that I’m wrong, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Yep. That is why almost all of mainstream entertainment (games, movies, TV, etc.) is bland and boring.
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:44 am When I watched the trailer, I *KNEW* that that are, in fact, going to screw it up. :(

They have no idea what they're doing or what Silent Hill *is*, if that trailer is any indication, imho.
I'll be the first to admit my memory is rusty since it's been a minute since I played SH2, but from what I do remember it looked like what they showed was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake. What about it bothered you?
Phaseknox wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:12 am That looks like it could be really good, but why am I getting the feeling that they’re going to censor/leave out some of the more disturbing story elements and imagery of the original? Probably because everything just seems to be more watered down these days to try and not offend anyone. I hope that I’m wrong, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
While I definitely won't argue that that's the trend these days, they did show a brief snippet of the early game Pyramid Head mannequin "rape" scene, which is arguably one of the most disturbing scenes in the game.

Again, I have my doubts as well, but I'd say I'm 40% hopeful right now. That's pretty high for me these days when it comes to "AAA" games, as I feel like almost all of them have become soulless cash grabs. :(

BTW, Konami announced 3 other Silent Hill games & showed teasers for those as well that give you very little info as to what they actually are. One, Silent Hill: Transmission is being handled by Annapurna, the indie publisher responsible for games like Donut County, What Remains of Edith Finch?, and Stray. So that's...odd. Don't know what to make of that.

Silent Hill: Ascension is the second, with another very brief & vague teaser. The only indication it gives is that this is a multiplayer game, possibly along the lines of Dead by Daylight where it's several people against one who's the monster. So in other words, absolute crap.

The last is the most interesting of the original SH games announced, just called Silent Hill: f. It's a cg trailer that gives a sense of the setting but no clues whatsoever about actual gameplay. The main takeaway on this one is that it's set in Japan, and the trailer has a pretty cool creepy vibe to it...but how can you have a Silent Hill game without Silent Hill? Feels like they're just using the name on this one to draw attention/sales. Could still be a good game in its own right, I'm not sure. The producer on this one is a former Nintendo employee who worked on Luigi's Mansion.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of any of that. I might be a little more "glass half full" if Konami hadn't sworn off of actual games a few years back.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 am I'll be the first to admit my memory is rusty since it's been a minute since I played SH2, but from what I do remember it looked like what they showed was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake. What about it bothered you?
The tone was *way* off. You can copy the scenes from a game and up the resolution, but if you don't get the atmosphere right, especially with a series like Silent Hill that relies so heavily on mood, it ends up being a different game altogether. Of course it was a brief trailer and I'll hold a sliver of hope that I'm wrong, but what they *did* show spoke volumes to the hard core Silent Hill fan in me, and I didn't like the rhymes they were laying down.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:26 amYep. That is why almost all of mainstream entertainment (games, movies, TV, etc.) is bland and boring.
I agree, very little interests me much anymore. Everything just seems so assembly line and safe these days which (like you said) is bland and boring.
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 amI'll be the first to admit my memory is rusty since it's been a minute since I played SH2, but from what I do remember it looked like what they showed was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake. What about it bothered you?
I played Silent Hill 2 not too long ago, and I agree that what was shown in the remake trailer looked fairly faithful to the original and I was curious what about it bothered izzy as well.
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 amWhile I definitely won't argue that that's the trend these days, they did show a brief snippet of the early game Pyramid Head mannequin "rape" scene, which is arguably one of the most disturbing scenes in the game.
I missed that, so perhaps it won’t be censored. I hope not.
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 amI have my doubts as well, but I'd say I'm 40% hopeful right now. That's pretty high for me these days when it comes to "AAA" games, as I feel like almost all of them have become soulless cash grabs. :(
I’m a little more hopeful than you, I would say around 60% or maybe even 70%. Speaking of AAA soulless cash grab games, have you seen the reviews for Gotham Knights? I still expect to somewhat like it, but it definitely seems like a by the numbers AAA open world super hero game that isn’t bringing anything different, exciting, or new to the table.
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 amSilent Hill: Ascension is the second, with another very brief & vague teaser. The only indication it gives is that this is a multiplayer game, possibly along the lines of Dead by Daylight where it's several people against one who's the monster. So in other words, absolute crap.
My thoughts exactly. :lol:
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:16 pmThe tone was *way* off. You can copy the scenes from a game and up the resolution, but if you don't get the atmosphere right, especially with a series like Silent Hill that relies so heavily on mood, it ends up being a different game altogether. Of course it was a brief trailer and I'll hold a sliver of hope that I'm wrong, but what they *did* show spoke volumes to the hard core Silent Hill fan in me, and I didn't like the rhymes they were laying down.
I’m a hardcore Silent Hill fan as well, and I thought that the tone in that trailer seemed fairly accurate. It looks like a remake in the same vein as the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes which is a good thing IMO. I’m still skeptical of course, but I found more positive than negative with that trailer myself.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:53 pm I’m a hardcore Silent Hill fan as well, and I thought that the tone in that trailer seemed fairly accurate. It looks like a remake in the same vein as the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes which is a good thing IMO. I’m still skeptical of course, but I found more positive than negative with that trailer myself.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. We must interpret that essence differently. But, as mentioned, given the brevity and early state, I'll reserve judgment, but I'm very doubtful.

argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:53 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:16 pmThe tone was *way* off. You can copy the scenes from a game and up the resolution, but if you don't get the atmosphere right, especially with a series like Silent Hill that relies so heavily on mood, it ends up being a different game altogether. Of course it was a brief trailer and I'll hold a sliver of hope that I'm wrong, but what they *did* show spoke volumes to the hard core Silent Hill fan in me, and I didn't like the rhymes they were laying down.
I’m a hardcore Silent Hill fan as well, and I thought that the tone in that trailer seemed fairly accurate. It looks like a remake in the same vein as the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes which is a good thing IMO. I’m still skeptical of course, but I found more positive than negative with that trailer myself.
I just re-watched the trailer and I agree w/ you Phase - it definitely had the SH feel to me. A couple of those shots in particular - the one w/ the nurse where he's hitting her with the bat, and the one w/ Pyramid Head coming in out of the rain, were chilling. That said, I'm not trying to invalidate what Izzy's saying - a vibe is pretty hard to quantify, and if it doesn't feel right then it doesn't feel right. We'll all just have to wait & see how it turns out. I'll say this, this & the new FFXVI trailer finally have me glad to own a PS5.