The Backlog Check-in Vol. 250: 10/15/22: Gotham Knights/A Plague Tale: Requiem Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 250: 10/15/22: Gotham Knights/A Plague Tale: Requiem Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Asterigos: Curse of the Stars

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Asterigos: Curse of the Stars

Added: Demoniaca: Everlasting Night, DreadOut 2, Rune Factory 4 Special

Games releasing this week
Aery - Last Day of Earth
Amberial Dreams
Batora: Lost Haven
Castle of Secrets
Deadlink
Faith: The Unholy Trilogy
Flat Eye
Gas Station Simulator
Gedonia
Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed
Gotham Knights
Harmony’s Odyssey
Hell is Others
Horror Tycoon
Inertial Drift
Internet Generation
Jojo Siwa: Worldwide Party
Kovax Pitch
The Last Hero of Nostalgaia
Love Shore
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Mars Base
Matchpoint: Tennis Chamionships
New Tales From the Borderlands
Nitro Kid
Nova Lands: Emilia’s Mission
Of Blades & Tails
Park Story
The Pegasus Expedition
Phantom Abyss
A Plague Tale: Requiem
Pnevmo-Capsula
Potionomics
Sea Horizon
Second Extinction
Tempus: Level Escape
The Trader: Goods Dealer Simulator
Them’s Fightin’ Herds
The Shadow Government Simulator
Terror of Hemasaurus
Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher
Undead Horde: Necropolis
The Valiant
Vampire Survivors
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 250: 10/15/22: Gotham Knights/A Plague Tale: Requiem Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Another cheap ($5) PC game bundle - some highlights are Fury Unleashed, The Swindle, and 2 Oddworld remakes. Oh, also grabbed Darksiders 4 in a Xbox sale (I think that was this week...)

Last week: Finished nothing, played...not a lot. Waiting on Plague Tale 2 on Tuesday.

This week: Plague Tale 2.

I'm hearing not-so-great things about Gotham Knights. Don't suppose that should REALLY be a surprise, I mean it's not a Rocksteady joint and these big-budget AAA "blockbuster" games are getting worse & worse it seems. Still disappointing if true tho.

In lieu of playing much this week I did some Photoshopping. It's a hobby of mine that I don't have an excuse to do a lot these days. I stumbled across a contest that XSEED is running tied into last week's multiplatform release of No More Heroes 3 for some signed Suda51 swag. I wouldn't say no to that. :) They wanted you to design a postcard for the game. So I worked on it for 2-3 days and came up with this, which I'm quite proud of:
NMH Postcard.png
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 250: 10/15/22: Gotham Knights/A Plague Tale: Requiem Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:26 pmI'm hearing not-so-great things about Gotham Knights. Don't suppose that should REALLY be a surprise, I mean it's not a Rocksteady joint and these big-budget AAA "blockbuster" games are getting worse & worse it seems. Still disappointing if true tho.
Yeah, the impressions for the game so far haven’t seemed to be the greatest. Gameplay seems a bit stiff, and the graphics look last gen and not as good as Batman: Arkham Knight which is why people are confused why the last gen console versions were canceled. People have also been complaining that it’s locked at 30fps on current gen consoles with no performance option for 60fps. I still expect to like it because it looks fun to me and I get to play as Batgirl who I really like, but I don’t think that it’s going to be the quality of the Batman Arkham games. I’m curious to see what reviews have to say about it, but since it’s not coming out for PS4 anymore it’s not something that I can get on day one anyway. And I agree that big budget AAA games seem to be getting worse these days, they just don’t seem to be the same quality as they used to be and release in more unfinished states as well.
argyle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:26 pmIn lieu of playing much this week I did some Photoshopping. It's a hobby of mine that I don't have an excuse to do a lot these days. I stumbled across a contest that XSEED is running tied into last week's multiplatform release of No More Heroes 3 for some signed Suda51 swag. I wouldn't say no to that. :) They wanted you to design a postcard for the game. So I worked on it for 2-3 days and came up with this, which I'm quite proud of:

NMH Postcard.png
Wow that looks professionally done, nice job.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: nothing

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Current backlog: 28 (27 PS4, 1 Vita)

No gaming this past week, but I did grab Spryo on sale. I suspect that will hit the spot at some point.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Stray, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

More Layton last week, up to 11 hours played.

argyle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:26 pm In lieu of playing much this week I did some Photoshopping. It's a hobby of mine that I don't have an excuse to do a lot these days. I stumbled across a contest that XSEED is running tied into last week's multiplatform release of No More Heroes 3 for some signed Suda51 swag. I wouldn't say no to that. :) They wanted you to design a postcard for the game. So I worked on it for 2-3 days and came up with this, which I'm quite proud of:
NMH Postcard.png
Looks great, good luck!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I missed that postcard. Very impressive, argyle!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:54 am Wow that looks professionally done, nice job.
jfissel wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm Looks great, good luck!
canedaddy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:53 pm I missed that postcard. Very impressive, argyle!
Thank you all - fingers crossed, they pick the winners on the 1st!

I was up in the middle of the night last night (couldn't sleep) so I couldn't resist firing up Plague Tale: Requiem which unlocked at midnight. Played through the first chapter - so far so good. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:26 pm In lieu of playing much this week I did some Photoshopping. It's a hobby of mine that I don't have an excuse to do a lot these days. I stumbled across a contest that XSEED is running tied into last week's multiplatform release of No More Heroes 3 for some signed Suda51 swag. I wouldn't say no to that. :) They wanted you to design a postcard for the game. So I worked on it for 2-3 days and came up with this, which I'm quite proud of:

NMH Postcard.png
I'd believe that as authentic media. Nice work!

I've been enjoying my gaming respite for the past few weeks. I've played a ton this year and was just feeling like a break. Lol, can you imagine our hunter-gatherer ancestors trying to digest something like this. :P Too much of *anything* generates a bit of fatigue or ennui though.

I think I'll fire up something again pretty soon though.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:58 amI've been enjoying my gaming respite for the past few weeks. I've played a ton this year and was just feeling like a break. Lol, can you imagine our hunter-gatherer ancestors trying to digest something like this. :P Too much of *anything* generates a bit of fatigue or ennui though.
Yeah, I play a lot of different games like you do and I start to feel a little fatigued after a while as well because gaming is almost all that I do. If I’m not playing a game then I’m playing Second Life, but it’s kind of like playing an MMO despite not having any real gameplay mechanics or specific goals to accomplish. A lot of time I’ll start a game and not really be feeling it, so I stop playing it and try a different game until something finally clicks. I started playing Asterigos: Curse of the Stars, and it really clicked with me. I’ve played it for close to 40 hours now, and I’m still not near the end yet.

Sometimes when gaming fatigue hits I start to question if I still like gaming as much now as I did in the past, but then a game like Asterigos will come along and kind of show me that I pretty much do and that it just kind of takes the right game now to really pull me in. But it also has to do with my mood at the time as well, because I’m more in the mood for certain types of games at different times.

I don’t tend to find gaming in general quite as appealing now as I did in the past, but I think that’s because I’ve been doing it for so long and I don’t really do anything else. Also, I think that I’m about ready for a new console to get me a little more excited about gaming again, because I’m starting to find last gen games to look a bit dated at this point. It does take away from my enjoyment somewhat when I see how good that the same games look on current gen consoles, and PC. The PS4 will be 10 years old next year, and it’s definitely starting to show its age in terms of graphics and performance especially when it comes to newer bigger budget games.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:09 pm I don’t tend to find gaming in general quite as appealing now as I did in the past, but I think that’s because I’ve been doing it for so long and I don’t really do anything else.
Yes, I think that's true with anything. It's always good to mix things up in life, and gaming. If it's all the same, things become indistinguishable, and therefore boring. Go outside phase. :P

Personally I love gaming more than ever, but I tend to really play a wide diversity of genres/styles because I enjoy a broad spectrum of experiences, generally speaking. But even with that variety *within* gaming, it's good to have other fresh experiences in your free time imho.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!