The Backlog Check-in Vol. 252: 10/29/22: Harvestella Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 252: 10/29/22: Harvestella Edition

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:19 am Random question: Anybody here play Breath of Fire III? Thoughts? I'm flying out of town next week and could use a Vita game for the plane. That one looks like it might do the trick.
I remember enjoying it back in the PS1 days, but that was a long time ago so I'm not sure how well it's aged. I will say that it was still in the era of random encounters in JRPGs, so be forwarned.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Hmm... that only bothered me when it was too frequent.

Are there any other PS1 gems on Vita (or obscure Vita games) you all would recommend for me?
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:21 pmBig budget AAA games haven’t been appealing to me as much lately, I’m not even all that excited for God of War: Ragnarok which comes out soon. It just looks like more of the same to me, and I didn’t like the first game quite as much as a lot of other people did. Part of that is because I’m just not a big fan of Kratos, or big angry dudes in video games in general.
Now that the reviews are out I admit that I’m more excited for God of War: Ragnarok, because it appears to really deliver. Not that I didn’t expect it to, but it seems to have turned out even better than I anticipated. While I’m not the biggest fan of Kratos, they appear to have made him a bit more nimble and less of a tank character in Ragnarok which I expect will make him a little more enjoyable to play as at least from a gameplay standpoint. Reviews pretty much unanimously say that it’s continuously entertaining from beginning to end with a satisfying conclusion, so I expect to really like it even more so than the first game which I really liked.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:32 am Hmm... that only bothered me when it was too frequent.

Are there any other PS1 gems on Vita (or obscure Vita games) you all would recommend for me?
I really enjoyed Legend of Legaia last year. I don't remember if you've played it, but I suppose it's a bit of a "hidden gem" in the genre and overall imho. The combat "arts" were really fun and engaging.
Phaseknox wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:16 pm Now that the reviews are out I admit that I’m more excited for God of War: Ragnarok, because it appears to really deliver. Not that I didn’t expect it to, but it seems to have turned out even better than I anticipated. While I’m not the biggest fan of Kratos, they appear to have made him a bit more nimble and less of a tank character in Ragnarok which I expect will make him a little more enjoyable to play as at least from a gameplay standpoint. Reviews pretty much unanimously say that it’s continuously entertaining from beginning to end with a satisfying conclusion, so I expect to really like it even more so than the first game which I really liked.
I enjoyed the presentation for the most part with the 2018 reboot, but the character of Kratos was a huge downgrade for me. Dad of War isn't what I wanted in this new setting...at all. And the kid got on my last nerve, and was a major detractor for the overall tone of the series up to that point. Game was reasonably fun, despite some other problems like palate swap enemies, but what it did more than anything else for me was make me want to play the Greek mythos entries.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:16 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:21 pmBig budget AAA games haven’t been appealing to me as much lately, I’m not even all that excited for God of War: Ragnarok which comes out soon. It just looks like more of the same to me, and I didn’t like the first game quite as much as a lot of other people did. Part of that is because I’m just not a big fan of Kratos, or big angry dudes in video games in general.
Now that the reviews are out I admit that I’m more excited for God of War: Ragnarok, because it appears to really deliver. Not that I didn’t expect it to, but it seems to have turned out even better than I anticipated. While I’m not the biggest fan of Kratos, they appear to have made him a bit more nimble and less of a tank character in Ragnarok which I expect will make him a little more enjoyable to play as at least from a gameplay standpoint. Reviews pretty much unanimously say that it’s continuously entertaining from beginning to end with a satisfying conclusion, so I expect to really like it even more so than the first game which I really liked.
I have no doubt that it's good, but I feel like I know more-or-less what I'm in for with it and it's not something that I'm just dying to play right now. Kinda curious about that Sonic game, but I understand reviews are embargoed on it until the day before release.

BTW, how far did you get in Iconoclasts? I'm still loving it, so I'm just curious if I've gotten to the point where you called it quits yet. I'm in the electric forest if that helps.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Stray, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

I'm late this week, I know. Excited about God of War for sure.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:30 pm I really enjoyed Legend of Legaia last year. I don't remember if you've played it, but I suppose it's a bit of a "hidden gem" in the genre and overall imho. The combat "arts" were really fun and engaging.
Thanks, but that one doesn't appear to be on the Vita store.

Also, to my great dismay, I learned my Vita isn't holding a charge anymore, so I'm going to have to find something on 3DS to play. Any suggestions? :cry:

I was horrified but not surprised to see that most of the big games I want to play on there are still $40 (Mario & Luigis, Layton).
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:40 am
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:30 pm I really enjoyed Legend of Legaia last year. I don't remember if you've played it, but I suppose it's a bit of a "hidden gem" in the genre and overall imho. The combat "arts" were really fun and engaging.
Thanks, but that one doesn't appear to be on the Vita store.

Also, to my great dismay, I learned my Vita isn't holding a charge anymore, so I'm going to have to find something on 3DS to play. Any suggestions? :cry:

I was horrified but not surprised to see that most of the big games I want to play on there are still $40 (Mario & Luigis, Layton).
That stinks! Well, maybe do this on the plane :

:P

Speaking of batteries though, it reminds me of my favorite handheld ever - the DSiXL (and any of them really). Man the battery life on those suckers was incredible. I'm still amazed when I break it out. Was - and is imho - an incredible piece of hardware, technical limitations aside.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Ha, I downloaded Diablo Immortal on my phone and then thought, "You know, twiddling my thumbs would be more fun than playing that."
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:40 am Also, to my great dismay, I learned my Vita isn't holding a charge anymore, so I'm going to have to find something on 3DS to play. Any suggestions? :cry:

I randomly checked some 3DS games I never bought but were on my list and they are all waaaaay too expensive. :x