The Backlog Check-in Vol. 252: 10/29/22: Harvestella Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 252: 10/29/22: Harvestella Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: The Alliance Alive HD Remastered, DreadOut 2, Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Finished: Nothing

Playing: The Alliance Alive HD Remastered

Added: The Alliance Alive HD Remastered, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China, Battlefield Hardline, Dragon Quest Heroes, Hunter’s Legacy, Justice Chronicles, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Need For Speed: Rivals, Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, Sakura Wars, Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

I played a little Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition because it’s an earlier BioWare PC RPG that I’ve always been curious about, and while its graphics are really dated like a PS1 or N64 game since it’s an early 3D polygon game its design and gameplay mechanics are still fairly solid for the most part. I didn’t play a lot of it, but enough to know that it’s something that I could see myself enjoying when I’m in the mood for a classic style CRPG.

I’m playing The Alliance Alive HD Remastered now, and it’s a cute and fun retro style turn-based JRPG. It originally came out for 3DS and the graphics sort of have a pop-up book look to them designed to be displayed in 3D, but they still look fine without being in 3D as well. They’re a little on the simple side, but still have charm. The game itself is a standard linear progression style JRPG with towns, an overworld map and dungeons with a fairly basic turn-based battle system. It’s a formula that I like and don’t really get tired of, because I’m a sucker for retro JRPGs. I think that it’s something that everyone here might like, and it’s currently on sale at the PS Store for $15.

Games releasing this week
Aeterna Noctis
Against the Storm
Amazing Chicken Adventures
Beneath Oresa
Bratz: Flaunt Your Fashion
The Chant
CounterAttack
Cthulhu: Books of Ancients
DarKnot
Endling: Extinction is Forever
The Entropy Centre
Espresso Tycoon Prologue: Underwater
Evil Nun: The Broken Mask
From Space
Ghost Song
Godlike Burger
Harvestella
Honey, I Joined a Cult
How to Say Goodbye
Insomnis
Kingshunt
The Legend of Tianding
Lonesome Village
Missile Command Recharged
My Last Night Here
NecroBoy: Path to Evilship
No More Room in Hell 2
The Past Within
Pawsecuted
PBM 2023
Shatter Remastered Deluxe
Silver Nornir
Skull Chainz
Space Tail: Every Journey Leads Home
Spellbook Demonslayers
Super Lone Survivor
Surviving the Aftermath - Shattered Hope
TFM: The First Men
Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
The Unluckiest Man
WRC Generations
Yuppie Psycho
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 252: 10/29/22: Harvestella Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing, I think...

Last week: Finished Unraveled Two, played Dreamlight Valley, Iconoclasts, and a little more Castlevania: Circle of the Moon last night.

This week: More Iconoclasts & Castlevania - I'm determined to finish CotM. :P

Unraveled Two was pretty much more of the first. The second character added some new twists to the puzzles, but it felt like more of an expansion than a full sequel. I could see it being a little more enjoyable with a second person...of course, I could also see it being very frustrating with a second person. I didn't do any of the extra stuff, but I also don't really feel the desire to. OK out of 5. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Harvestella is the big game this week? Man I'm out of touch. :lol:

Played recently: Yakuza 6

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 28 (27 PS4, 1 Vita)

I've done all the side stuff I plan to do in Yakuza (can't find all the dang cats or kill the stupid shark, enough is enough) and it seems like the story is almost done. We will see.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:14 amHarvestella is the big game this week? Man I'm out of touch. :lol:
It was either that, or Bratz: Flaunt Your Fashion. :P
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Well you also had Godlike Burger, Pawsecuted and Yuppie Psycho, assuming you didn't make those up.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:25 pmWell you also had Godlike Burger, Pawsecuted and Yuppie Psycho, assuming you didn't make those up.
Yeah, this week is full of great new releases worthy of being in the thread title. :lol:
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I guess this only applies to argyle, but RE VIllage is $9.19 on Fanatical. I had to attempt to purchase a few times before it went through, but it finally accepted it. Good deal if you don't already have it. I had a coupon and got it for $8+ https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/resid ... d=13797872

Best hurry if you don't already have it and want it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:59 pmRE VIllage is $9.19 on Fanatical.
I’m going to buy the gold edition physically when it’s cheap, it includes the main game and the DLC that has a third person camera option and the Shadows of Rose expansion.
argyle

Post by argyle »

So I'm seriously considering selling the Steam Deck.

Here's the thing - there were two reasons I got it. One was for the emulation, which is really cool - but I'm not sure it's enough by itself to justify the price. The second was to have access to PC games without having to putz around with them to make them work. I do IT all day, I hate to do it at home to get a game to run.

Sadly, it seems this is still a pipe dream. So I picked up RE 7 Gold in a sale last week for $15. Installed it on the deck, and it wouldn't start. Tried a few times, restarted a couple of times, no go. Finally ran updates on the deck, tried again and it started. OK, great. So I went in to turn up the resolution to see how well it would run. Every time I even selected 4k, it would instantly hard lock. The entire system froze, reboot was the only option. I still haven't played RE7.

It was during this process that I finally accepted the facts: you're always going to have to fiddle around with PC games to get them run, but with the deck it isn't actually running Windows, it's Linux. So at this point it's even more difficult for me to tweak because 1) I don't know a lot of Linux and 2) most games aren't made to run natively on it anyway, they're (from my understanding) basically being passed through a backend Windows "emulator". Oh, and the deck can't run games as well as a mid-range gaming PC.

I was thinking before I got it that Gamepass would be a big reason for me to have it, but I foolishly didn't realize that since it's running Linux the only way to play Gamepass games is to stream them. So you have to have access to a good internet connection when using GP on it, and even then more fast-paced games will probably have some degree of lag. So that's out.

Final nail, more games than I thought just flat-out won't run on the deck - no support at all. So the only real boon I have left is the emulation, and $400 is a lot to pay to play portable PS2 & older games.

Bright side, if I sell now I shouldn't have any issue getting most if not all of my money back. Oh, and all of this has reminded me why the Switch rocks (I just wish they'd go ahead & release a Switch 2/Pro/whatever that's more powerful).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Well that's a bummer, but good thing you can get your money back for the most part. The issue of limited games on there was a big knock for me. My old man brain thought everything on Steam would be playable there without any issues.