The Backlog Check-in Vol. 253: 11/5/22: God of War: Ragnarok/Sonic Frontiers Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 253: 11/5/22: God of War: Ragnarok/Sonic Frontiers Edition

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:58 pm Ummm...Best Buy still exists. :P
Yikes, yeah, and their selection for their sale is...significantly smaller. :shock: :lol:
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 253: 11/5/22: God of War: Ragnarok/Sonic Frontiers Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I played more Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, and it just isn’t the quality of the other AC games. It’s somewhat low budget, and lacks finesse and polish. Instead of having one large open area, it’s broken up into three smaller size open-ish areas that feel like self-contained zones. The game has a linear design structure to it where you basically just do one story mission after the other without much else to do outside of the story missions. The story and characters aren’t very interesting, and the voice acting is subpar. It definitely feels like a small scale AC game that was made for a handheld game system. It lacks the budget, quality and production values of the main AC games. It’s still mildly entertaining, but a little hard to really get into after playing the more recent games in the series.

I started playing Ys: Memories of Celceta because I got in a JRPG mood, and I wanted to play it before playing Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. I’ve been digging it so far, it reminds me of a PS1 JRPG in the best of ways. It takes me back to that time of gaming which I enjoyed immensely. It has a colorful anime style aesthetic, a fun real-time action combat system and keeps things fairly basic for the most part without any complicated mechanics and/or systems. It’s classic style JRPG goodness, and I look forward to playing it some more.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Oh Best Buy is still a thing crim? I didn't know. (I've got to be vigilant with my sentence structure. :P)

After playing Savage Halloween a couple weeks ago I haven't really played anything. I briefly sampled Knock-Knock, and I liked the taste, but for whatever reason, I'm just not gaming atm. (Oh I did play some Atari Vault for a few hours. I was feeling nostalgic I guess. I played quite a few games of the arcade version of Asteroids. I'm always amazed at how well some of the older and very simple games hold up when I return to them. Simple games for simple minds. :P) Need to start thinking about year-end reviews / rankings pretty soon too.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

It looks like it has some fun gameplay, but the open world zones look kind of barren, bland and colorless which I personally find unappealing especially for a Sonic game. The pop-in in those zones look somewhat game hindering as well considering the fast pace of the game. It still looks entertaining enough to maybe get when it’s $20 or less, but that’s about it.
argyle

Post by argyle »

That's one of the reviewers I watch - I watched that one & also this one by another guy I follow:

It looks fun to me, my only real hesitation is that pop-in. Assuming they can patch that out it sounds fun & up my alley. If they add it to the Target sale, I may bite...we'll see.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

:shock: ...Sonic is not getting dragged? It's getting 7's and the occasional 8? And reading the reviews, they...LIKE it mostly? I don't know bruh...

You also can't trust Sonic fans. They mostly suck. It does look good though...and I haven't bought my new game this year. I didn't go for Valkyrie Elysium of Star Ocean 6. I could just wait. I guess. Maybe. Possibly. We'll see. It looks so cool...

Oh, forgot to mention old man: Sonic Frontiers has a fishing minigame. Just saying :twisted: ....I mean ******* Big The Cat is there but still, fishing :P
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’ve been enjoying Ys: Memories of Celceta with the two starting characters Adol and Duren for several hours, but Karna has recently joined the party and she’s a dagger throwing badass. Playing as her with her ranged attacks has just made the game even better, and I was enjoying it quite a bit before she joined the party. She has definitely made it more fun, and she’s the only character that I want to play as now. The game is a fast paced combat heavy action RPG, it’s like an anime Diablo with its isometric view maze-like dungeon crawling creature/monster killing design structure. I think that it’s a game that you all might like, because it’s a lot of fun.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:58 pm I’ve been enjoying Ys: Memories of Celceta with the two starting characters Adol and Duren for several hours, but Karna has recently joined the party and she’s a dagger throwing badass. Playing as her with her ranged attacks has just made the game even better, and I was enjoying it quite a bit before she joined the party. She has definitely made it more fun, and she’s the only character that I want to play as now. The game is a fast paced combat heavy action RPG, it’s like an anime Diablo with its isometric view maze-like dungeon crawling creature/monster killing design structure. I think that it’s a game that you all might like, because it’s a lot of fun.
Celceta is a fantastic game, I played it a few years back on the Vita. I was about to recommend it to Cane the other day just before he said his Vita was out of commission. ;) Glad you're enjoying it.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:50 amCelceta is a fantastic game, I played it a few years back on the Vita. I was about to recommend it to Cane the other day just before he said his Vita was out of commission. ;) Glad you're enjoying it.
I didn’t know that you played it. :o It’s actually better than I was expecting it to be, it’s something that’s easy to pick up and play with its snappy pace and fun combat. It’s almost like an action game with RPG elements, I like that it pretty much sticks to the basics without bogging things down with a bunch of unnecessary mechanics, menus and systems like a lot of more modern RPGs tend to do. As you know I really liked Ys VIII as well, and now I’m looking forward to playing Ys IX. Have you played it? Crim played it recently and seemed to really enjoy it, but he mentioned not liking some aspects about it that are going to keep him away from the series for a while. However, I think that he would really like both Memories of Celceta and Ys VIII based on his fondness of older style JRPGs that we all share here. I almost know for a fact that Cane will like them.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:02 am
argyle wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:50 amCelceta is a fantastic game, I played it a few years back on the Vita. I was about to recommend it to Cane the other day just before he said his Vita was out of commission. ;) Glad you're enjoying it.
I didn’t know that you played it. :o It’s actually better than I was expecting it to be, it’s something that’s easy to pick up and play with its snappy pace and fun combat. It’s almost like an action game with RPG elements, I like that it pretty much sticks to the basics without bogging things down with a bunch of unnecessary mechanics, menus and systems like a lot of more modern RPGs tend to do. As you know I really liked Ys XIII as well, and now I’m looking forward to playing Ys IX. Have you played it? Crim played it recently and seemed to really enjoy it, but he mentioned not liking some aspects about it that are going to keep him away from the series for a while. However, I think that he would really like both Memories of Celceta and Ys XIII based on his fondness of older style JRPGs that we all share here. I almost know for a fact that Cane will like them.
I platinum'd VIII, but I haven't really played IX yet - I started it shortly after it released but I wasn't really in the mood for it at the time so I didn't get very far. Been thinking about giving it another go soon, ever since Crim was talking it up.