The Backlog Check-in Vol. 267: 2/11/23: Tales of Symphonia Remastered Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 267: 2/11/23: Tales of Symphonia Remastered Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Nothing

Finished: Nothing

Playing: ?

Added: Nothing

Hi, I’m back! Thanks for the concern everyone, I really appreciate it. :) A quick summary of what happened to me is that I haven’t been monitoring my blood sugar, and my blood sugar was through the roof. I got extremely sick with the most excruciating stomach pain imaginable, and was constantly vomiting without being able to drink or eat without vomiting. I foolishly thought that I could get better on my own, but I started to get worse to the point where I was going in and out of consciousness and hallucinating. My mom thankfully called the paramedics before I went into a diabetic coma which I almost did. I spent two weeks in the hospital getting better, but I also had a bad foot infection that they had to do surgery on otherwise I would have lost it. I came home Monday, and I’m feeling much better. They educated me in the hospital on how to manage my diabetes with diet and insulin so that I never experience either ketoacidosis (dangerously high blood sugar), or hypoglycemia (dangerously low blood sugar) again.

Games releasing this week
Angel’s Gear
Arthas - The Game
Cities: Skylines
CometStriker DX
Birth
Blanc
Bokura
Dark and Darker
Dust & Neon
Elderand
Gigantosaurus: Dino Kart
Katana-Ra: Shinobi Rising
Knights of Braveland
Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society
The Last Starship
Loopers
Loretta
Operation Harsh Doorstep
Out Zone
Perseus: Titan Slayer
Pharaoh: A New Era
Pinball FX
Plan B: Terraform
Raid on Taihoku
Returnal
Rise of Fox Hero
Road Stones
Rooftop Renegade
The Settlers: New Allies
Souls of Chronos
SpaceBourne 2
Spy Bros.: Pipi & Bibi’s DX
Tales of Symphonia Remastered
Ten Dates
Threatrhythm: Final Bar Line
Touchdown Pinball
Twin cobra
Truxton
Verdict guilty
Wanted: Dead
WA.R.P.
A Weekend in Puzzleburg
Wild Hearts
Zero Wing
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 267: 2/11/23: Tales of Symphonia Remastered Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:49 pm Hi, I’m back! Thanks for the concern everyone, I really appreciate it. :) A quick summary of what happened to me is that I haven’t been monitoring my blood sugar, and my blood sugar was through the roof. I got extremely sick with the most excruciating stomach pain imaginable, and was constantly vomiting without being able to drink or eat without vomiting. I foolishly thought that I could get better on my own, but I started to get worse to the point where I was going in and out of consciousness and hallucinating. My mom thankfully called the paramedics before I went into a diabetic coma which I almost did. I spent two weeks in the hospital getting better, but I also had a bad foot infection that they had to do surgery on otherwise I would have lost it. I came home Monday, and I’m feeling much better. They educated me in the hospital on how to manage my diabetes with diet and insulin so that I never experience either ketoacidosis (dangerously high blood sugar), or hypoglycemia (dangerously low blood sugar) again.
Oh man! That is horrifying. VERY glad you didn't kick the bucket, and glad you're rebounding.

I suspect this is the cause of many deaths: "I foolishly thought that I could get better on my own, but I started to get worse to the point where I was going in and out of consciousness and hallucinating." My dad nearly died from pneumonia that went the same way... he ignored it to the point of hallucinating and passing out. Let this be a lesson to all.

Played recently: Spyro the Dragon

Finished: God of War Ragnarok platinum

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 28

I decided to play the first entry in the reignited trilogy for a change of pace after Kratos. So far it's a fun game if you like mascot platformer collectathons. The sections where you have to complete all four flying challenges to get all the jewels are pretty tough, but I'll give it a shot.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 267: 2/11/23: Tales of Symphonia Remastered Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:49 pm Hi, I’m back! Thanks for the concern everyone, I really appreciate it. :) A quick summary of what happened to me is that I haven’t been monitoring my blood sugar, and my blood sugar was through the roof. I got extremely sick with the most excruciating stomach pain imaginable, and was constantly vomiting without being able to drink or eat without vomiting. I foolishly thought that I could get better on my own, but I started to get worse to the point where I was going in and out of consciousness and hallucinating. My mom thankfully called the paramedics before I went into a diabetic coma which I almost did. I spent two weeks in the hospital getting better, but I also had a bad foot infection that they had to do surgery on otherwise I would have lost it. I came home Monday, and I’m feeling much better. They educated me in the hospital on how to manage my diabetes with diet and insulin so that I never experience either ketoacidosis (dangerously high blood sugar), or hypoglycemia (dangerously low blood sugar) again.
Wow phase, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm going to be direct with you, and I hope you don't take it as overbearing, "know-it-all" or as coming from any place other than brotherly love and concern for your well-being. I've gone through my own health crisis (undiagnosed /idiopathic) which forced me down a rabbit hole of non mainstream (conventional allopathic medicine) approaches to health, and through that I've learned not only much about my own wellness and methods for addressing it, but just the general exploration of human health enlightened me on many things that are applicable to a wide array of human conditions. We all get sick, and we'll all die, sooner or later, but the vast majority of prevalent modern human illnesses are diet related, and in your case (assuming type 2 diabetes - which I think you mentioned to be the case before) are intimately linked.

If the advice you were given by your doctors did not instruct you to cut out *ALL* sugars - processed and natural, then they are giving you bad advice. If they did not instruct you to eliminate most all carbohydrates from your diet, they don't understand how to deal with diabetes.

Do these things for 3 months and see how you feel afterwards.

1. (Again) Eliminate ALL sugars (including all fruits)
2. Eliminate ALL seed oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, soybean, etc.) which leads into number 3
3. Eliminate ALL processed foods. If it comes in a box / package, it's not for you.
4. Keep daily carbs to 20 or below (total not net) during this period. You can eat some low carb vegetables like kale, cabbage, etc., but otherwise you'll have to be *very* restrictive. And you MUST monitor and track this closely.
5. Being fasting daily. Condense all your eating to a 4 hour window - or ideally *ONE* meal per day.

This will mean that most of your intake will be fat and meat. I'm sure that would be a radical departure from your typical diet, but desperate times...

I would also recommend looking into some experts in this that will expand upon the basics and give you some further evidence and prodding if you need it. You may find that your blood sugar will get too low if you're on medication, which I assume you are, so be mindful and watchful. If your doctors give you push back, ask them why. 90 days of eating in this manner will *NOT* cause any problems. You may also feel poorly in the beginning and have some symptoms that make you feel like it's a bad idea, but your body takes time to adapt to anything new, and prolonged sugar addiction (even if it's just carbs - even "healthy" carbs) comes with withdrawal symptoms.

Of course, you must judge the value of my advice for yourself. But I think the evidence and personal testimonials of so many who've addressed their diabetes in this manner speak for themselves. As always, we all choose our own path. I'm just a single voice on yours.

Here's a few other voices I'd recommend listening to, if you decide you wish to consider making these adjustments.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you the best.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:55 amOh man! That is horrifying. VERY glad you didn't kick the bucket, and glad you're rebounding.
Thanks. :)
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 amI've gone through my own health crisis (undiagnosed /idiopathic) which forced me down a rabbit hole of non mainstream (conventional allopathic medicine) approaches to health, and through that I've learned not only much about my own wellness and methods for addressing it, but just the general exploration of human health enlightened me on many things that are applicable to a wide array of human conditions. We all get sick, and we'll all die, sooner or later, but the vast majority of prevalent modern human illnesses are diet related, and in your case (assuming type 2 diabetes - which I think you mentioned to be the case before) are intimately linked.
This experience has definitely made me want to take care of my overall health a lot more. By the way, I was originally misdiagnosed as having type 2 diabetes. I actually have type 1, my body no longer produces insulin so I have to inject insulin into it daily.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 amEliminate ALL sugars (including all fruits)
This is the first thing that I started doing back when I was originally diagnosed with diabetes.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 amEliminate ALL processed foods. If it comes in a box / package, it's not for you.
This one I can’t do, nor want to do. Not only don’t I have a fresh/organic food store anywhere near me, I happen to like a lot of packaged (boxed, canned, bagged)/processed food.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 amKeep daily carbs to 20 or below (total not net) during this period. You can eat some low carb vegetables like kale, cabbage, etc., but otherwise you'll have to be *very* restrictive. And you MUST monitor and track this closely.
I stay away from carb heavy food for the most part, but I eat buns on my burgers, bread on my sandwiches, mashed potatoes and rice.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 amBeing fasting daily. Condense all your eating to a 4 hour window - or ideally *ONE* meal per day.
This is the one piece of advice that you’ve given me that I’m the most disinterested in taking. I enjoy eating several meals throughout the day. I eat my meals roughly four hours apart from each other, and I don’t snack. The only snack that I usually have is what I call my midnight snack. Sometimes after going to bed in the middle of the night I wake up and can’t get back to sleep, so I get up to have a cup (or two) of hot tea and I often (not always) will have a few peanut butter crackers or sugar free shortbread cookies with it. The chamomile tea that I drink at night naturally lowers my blood sugar which is an additional reason as to why I like eating something with it among me just liking to have a little something with it to hold me over throughout the night until breakfast the next morning.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 amYou may find that your blood sugar will get too low if you're on medication, which I assume you are, so be mindful and watchful.
Good to know. The only medication that I take is Amiodarone for my heart (and insulin), but I take it after I eat breakfast so even if it does lower my blood sugar it won’t lower it to dangerously low levels since I take it right after eating which raises my blood sugar.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 amWhatever you end up doing, I wish you the best.
Thanks. :)
isthatallyougot

Well phase, I wish you well in your approaches to wellness. I hope you are able to manage your condition and enjoy good health for many more years.

Edit: Where's crim by the way. He must be busy teaching and getting all swole! :P

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Stray, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, PowerWash Simulator

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 44 games

I've been power washing like crazy and I'm finally on the last story mission! But then there are some additional missions and I believe some DLC to attend to...as well as the rest of the trophies.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:10 amWhere's crim by the way. He must be busy teaching and getting all swole! :P
I’ve also noticed that argyle hasn’t been around here lately, either. I hope that their absences are just due to them being busy.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:12 am I’ve also noticed that argyle hasn’t been around here lately, either. I hope that their absences are just due to them being busy.
Life just keeps interrupting all the fun stuff! :P

argyle

Post by argyle »

I've been around, just haven't had the time (or energy) to post. Glad to see you're back with us Phase, and I'm also glad you're doing better. I need to eat better as well to manage my type-2 diabetes, but it's not easy. I agree with you that it seems all but impossible for me to cut out all processed/boxed food, if for no other reason right now than the other stuff is SO expensive. I am trying to eat better tho and be more mindful of what I'm eating.

Games added: Hogwarts Legacy

Last week: Dabbled with some stuff up to Friday, then started playing Hogwarts.

This week: Hogwarts.

HL is a great game, very fun. I enjoy HP well enough - of course none of us grew up on it, so it probably isn't as big of a deal to any of us as some of the things we did grow up on - but even so I've found it a blast to explore the school & surrounding areas so far. I've also started rewatching the movies, and it's very impressive how faithful they were to the movies in recreating the castle. Phase, I imagine you're waiting for a price drop and I don't blame you (I used almost all Bing credit for it) but I definitely think you'll enjoy it once you get to it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also got some games in the mail over the past week - Atelier Ryza 1&2, and Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle (for the Switch - selling my Xbox copy)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pmGlad to see you're back with us Phase, and I'm also glad you're doing better. I need to eat better as well to manage my type-2 diabetes, but it's not easy. I agree with you that it seems all but impossible for me to cut out all processed/boxed food, if for no other reason right now than the other stuff is SO expensive.
Price is definitely a factor for me too as my mom and I live on a somewhat tight fixed income for the both of us, but I still couldn’t imagine cutting out packaged/processed food altogether. Not only would that mean preparing all meals from scratch which neither my mom or I have an interest in doing, but also giving up a lot of food that I like. There’s a lot of cereals, canned soups, dairy products, frozen meals and packaged meats that I like.
argyle wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pmPhase, I imagine you're waiting for a price drop and I don't blame you (I used almost all Bing credit for it) but I definitely think you'll enjoy it once you get to it.
I’m not waiting for a price drop, I’m waiting for the PS4 version to come out which isn’t until April 4th.