The Backlog Check-in Vol. 268: 2/18/23: Like a Dragon: Ishin!/Octopath Traveler II Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 268: 2/18/23: Like a Dragon: Ishin!/Octopath Traveler II Edition

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:09 am
Phaseknox wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:18 am My brother got me this for my birthday, and I’m thinking about checking it out today:

There are SO MANY of these little boxes out in the market. Personally, I just like to emulate on PC and customize my own way, but it's cool for those who just want a box with built-in games. So many of them are horrendous in terms of build quality and/or emulation though - at least many I've seen.

You've now got an impossible backlog though. :P Better get busy! ;)
Ya, same here - I have a Raspberry Pi tucked away somewhere that I configured & it runs emulation like a champ. Heck, I have two of them actually, since I have another one in my modded Arcade 1-Up cabinet. Will be nice to one day have the space to actually play that thing again, right now it's buried in our eBay store stockroom. Ah well.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 268: 2/18/23: Like a Dragon: Ishin!/Octopath Traveler II Edition

Post by jfissel »

There you go, cane.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Stray, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, PowerWash Simulator, A Short Hike

Added to Backlog: A Short Hike

Current Backlog: 45 games

Picked up A Short Hike on PSN due to the talk about it here by izzy. Played about an hour of it already and I think it's a good indie game for sure. Simple, but it works.

I have 1 trophy left in PowerWash simulator - need 2 more golds on time or water challenges, which are pretty tough IMO.

Like a Dragon: Ishin should be on its way soon.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:23 pmLike a Dragon: Ishin should be on its way soon.
You don’t have an interest in Hogwarts Legacy? I thought that it was a game that you would have bought. I would have if they didn’t delay the PS4 version until April 4th. I was going to buy it then, but Dead Island 2 comes out April 21st which I want more so I don’t plan on buying Hogwarts Legacy until sometime in May after I finish Dead Island 2.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I made it to the last boss "fight" in the first Spyro and bailed. Fight is in quotation marks because it's not one... it's a chase using the clunky sprint mechanics through several areas, many of which have no walls, and if you fall, you have to start alllll the way at the beginning. No idea who thought it would be a great idea to use the worst aspect of the game as the sole mechanic in the game's climax, with no checkpoints to boot, but that is some bad game design. I'm out.

I moved on to A Short Hike, which was like drinking a nice cold glass of water after being attacked by vultures in a hot desert. Not finished yet, but it really hit the spot. Thanks, izzy.

I bought Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on a whim after coming across a very positive review and seeing it's for sale. I think I'll play that next. Do any of you guys have experience with it?
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:23 pm Picked up A Short Hike on PSN due to the talk about it here by izzy. Played about an hour of it already and I think it's a good indie game for sure. Simple, but it works.
canedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:43 am I moved on to A Short Hike, which was like drinking a nice cold glass of water after being attacked by vultures in a hot desert. Not finished yet, but it really hit the spot. Thanks, izzy.

I bought Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on a whim after coming across a very positive review and seeing it's for sale. I think I'll play that next. Do any of you guys have experience with it?
Glad you guys are enjoying it.

I don't have any experience with it (Pathfinder), but I'm getting it in this month's Humble Choice. I already had Kingmaker in my backlog, and I think I'll enjoy this series though. Hope it's fun.

Man is Adventure Island kicking my tail, lol. According to the manual, "It is your mission to help Master Higgins to save Princess Leilani, but it's not going to be easy." Well, no sh**! :P

I'm about half-way through it, gradually mastering, well eventually completing, one level at a time. The game knows how brutal it is though, at least. Even within the manual it points you in the direction of a "cheat" that allows you to continue at the last level you were in before being brutalized to death yet again, lol. I know old-school "Nintendo Hard" is often really tough, but this is one of the toughest old-school platformers I've played.

Having said that I'm addicted to it. The controls are really tight and that feeling of overcoming the challenges is really rewarding. It's very fun, just absolutely punishing for any mistake, as well as throwing in awkward timing elements and sudden on-screen threats in places. It feels doable, at least so far, but it is really pushing my old-man reflexes and memorization. If I beat it, I know I'll briefly feel like a king.

I can't imagine anyone doing an old-school "1CC" run through all 32 levels. I'm sure some freak has done it though. :P

Phase, you ought to fire it up on your "I-now-own-every-game-box" if you didn't play it in your youth. I'd love to hear your impressions. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:26 amPhase, you ought to fire it up on your "I-now-own-every-game-box" if you didn't play it in your youth. I'd love to hear your impressions. :P
I played it in my youth, the Wonder Boy games were some of my favorites back in the day especially when they started to become less platformers and more action adventure games. I look forward to checking them all out again when I play the Super Console Cube X3.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am
jfissel wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:23 pmLike a Dragon: Ishin should be on its way soon.
You don’t have an interest in Hogwarts Legacy? I thought that it was a game that you would have bought. I would have if they didn’t delay the PS4 version until April 4th. I was going to buy it then, but Dead Island 2 comes out April 21st which I want more so I don’t plan on buying Hogwarts Legacy until sometime in May after I finish Dead Island 2.
I am interested, but I knew Ishin was coming out and I was filling the time until that launched with the amazing PowerWash Simulator...will circle back to Hogwarts Legacy over the summer.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:22 pmI am interested, but I knew Ishin was coming out and I was filling the time until that launched with the amazing PowerWash Simulator...will circle back to Hogwarts Legacy over the summer.
There’s just too many games to play... period. In addition to my massive backlog, I just got the Super Console Cube X3 which is packed with thousands of retro games, Octopath Traveler II came out today and I want it, Hogwarts Legacy comes out April 4th for PS4 and I want it and Dead Island 2 comes out April 21st which I want as well. Heck, I even want Like a Dragon: Ishin! which just came out too, but I don’t want it quite as much as the other games that I mentioned so I can wait to get it on sale or when it’s cheaper. I’m also going to wait to get Octopath Traveler II since it’s not a game that I need to play right now. I do want Hogwarts Legacy the day that it comes out, but it’s too close to Dead Island 2 which I’m definitely buying on day one.