The Backlog Check-in Vol. 269: 2/25/23: Scars Above/Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 269: 2/25/23: Scars Above/Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:14 pm I know that feeling as well, and it’s part of why I’ve been into indie and retro games more lately... simplicity. I just want to start a game and begin having fun right away without feeling like I need to attend a college course before playing it to learn all of its inventory management, mechanics, systems, etc. That’s part of why I’m looking forward to Dead Island 2 so much, because I know that it will be a game where I pick up the controller and start having fun right away without any complicated crap getting in the way.
Yeah, I enjoy getting into deeper games too, but that initial hurdle where you have to acclimate and get into things can sometimes be an obstacle if you're not in the right frame of energy or mind.

That's probably why I've gravitated to platformers lately quite a bit. Running and jumping. I think I can figure that out.

:P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 269: 2/25/23: Scars Above/Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Edition

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:09 am
argyle wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:02 amAtomic Heart came out last week & is on Gamepass, I'm really interested in that one too. Man, Gamepass is killing it this year already, Wo Long is gonna be on it when it releases this week as well.
Atomic Heart looks ok. I’m not really into FPSs as much these days, so it’s not something that I’m all that excited about. Also, I know that you said before that you don’t really care what character that you play as in a game as long as the game is fun. But for me the character that I play as in a game is pretty important, and I’ve stopped playing games because I didn’t like the character that I was playing as. I don’t want to play as a character that I don’t like in a game regardless of how good the rest of the game is. An unappealing and unlikable main character will ruin a game for me, and make me not want to play it. If I really like the character that I’m playing as, it can turn an average game into a good one for me. For example, the latest Saints Row is kind of an average open world action game, but I created a character that I really liked and it made the game a lot of fun. I wouldn’t have wanted to play it all if I had to play as a generic dude that I had no interest in playing as. And apparently the main protagonist in Atomic Heart is a generic unappealing dude that says a lot of dumb stuff while engaging in combat. So that combined with the fact that I’m not really into FPSs all that much these days basically makes me less excited about it. Also, I’ve heard that Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is a punishingly difficult so it’s another game that I have little to no interest in. However, I’m still interested in hearing your impressions of both games when you play them.
Well, that's why I'm glad it's on Gamepass - it won't cost me anything to try it & find out if it's my thing or not. :) It's supposed to be Bioshock-ish, so not really a straight FPS. We'll see - still don't think that will be the next thing I jump into just because I'm not really in the mood for it. Leaning more & more towards picking an indie from my backlog pile as a "pallet cleansor" before jumping into anything too time consuming again.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I was thinking about buying Scars Above because it looks like my kind of game (third person sci-fi action/adventure/shooter with a female protagonist), and it’s only $40. Unfortunately, they only released it physically for PS5 and Xbox Series X. The PS4 version is digital only. I would pay $40 for a physical copy, but not for a digital one, so I will wait for a sale.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I fired up The Padre. It's like a voxel Alone in the Dark. (the original) It's got a really cool presentation. I've read that there are some annoying puzzles, and the combat is pretty clunky and awkward. There's also a permadeath mechanic that may end up being frustrating. We'll see. Early returns are positive, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe I'll get a couple good and relatively obscure games in a row. (Pony Island was really fun, I don't remember if I mentioned finishing that one.)

I'm also still playing Adventure Island. I'm on 6-3 and things have gotten *REAL*. :P Will I see the end? The verdict is out.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: PowerWash Simulator (platinum)

Now Playing: Stray, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, A Short Hike

Added to Backlog: Like a Dragon: Ishin

Current Backlog: 45 games

Finished 2 more challenges for gold trophies in PowerWash Simulator and got the platinum trophy. Will finish up the plat in A Short Hike this week and hopefully start Ishin.