The Backlog Check-in Vol. 269: 2/25/23: Scars Above/Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 269: 2/25/23: Scars Above/Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Super Console Cube X3

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Super Console Cube X3

Added: Nothing

Games releasing this week
Alterity Experience
Arto
Bendy and the Dark Revival
Brok the InvestiGator
Catan
Dreadful River
Dream Park Story
Dungeons of Aether
Fernbus Simulator
Horace
I Am Your President
Iris and the Giant
Jurassic Pinball
Leap
Limbus Company
Mask of Fury
Meg’s Monster
No Longer Home
One Military Camp
The Ouroboros King
Phantom Brigade
Project Wingman
Railway Islands
Rytmos
Scars Above
The Smile Alchemist
Solaris: Offworld Combat
Street Fighter: Duel
Stickman Trenches
The Twilight Zone VR
Vanaris Tactics
void* tRrLM2//Void Terrarium 2
Voltaire: The Vegan Vampire
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 269: 2/25/23: Scars Above/Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm going to keep plugging away on Adventure Island.

And I also started up a really bizarre indie called Pony Island. Huh, two islands? I didn't notice that, lol. Anyway, it's a hard game to explain, but I really like the crazy vibe. It's like you're stuck inside a computer from hell. There are puzzles and an older tech type of vibe from the "computer" aspects. It's got really unique presentation and I'm digging it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 269: 2/25/23: Scars Above/Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:51 amI'm going to keep plugging away on Adventure Island.
Since you’re enjoying Adventure Island so much, I would recommend checking out a game called Amagon.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:51 amI also started up a really bizarre indie called Pony Island.
This?

https://ponyisland.net/

:P
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:28 am Since you’re enjoying Adventure Island so much, I would recommend checking out a game called Amagon.
I'll put it on the list. Thanks for the recommendation.
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:28 am This?

https://ponyisland.net/

:P

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:38 am Played: Super Console Cube X3

Very disappointed you didn't list all the games on that thing as part of your backlog and add each and every one of them to the Haul thread. :lol:

Played recently: Spyro the Dragon, A Short Hike

Finished: Spyro the Dragon, A Short Hike

Added to backlog: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Current backlog: 29

I finished A Short Hike, which, as advertised, isn't very long. :P Nice breath-of-fresh-air, palate-cleaner type of game with lots of pixelated charm and fun. I had a great time exploring and got all the feathers and caught all the fish. (Not going for platinum... getting a headache doing the boat thing in 45 seconds or winning the races would go against the spirit of what the game is all about to me.)

Not sure what I'll play next. I fired up Pathfinder but got worn out in just the character creation screen. :lol: Might not be the right time for that one.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:22 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:38 amPlayed: Super Console Cube X3

Very disappointed you didn't list all the games on that thing as part of your backlog and add each and every one of them to the Haul thread. :lol:
:lol:

In all seriousness there are some games such as the action adventure games and RPGs that I plan on putting some good time into and possibly finishing, but most of the other games I will play just to check them out and get a little fun from briefly. Other than for a few games, I don’t consider the majority of them to be part of my backlog.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing

Last week: Still plugging away at Hogwarts.

This week: The same, with a very small amount of Shadow Warrior 3, mainly for my daily achievement so I can get my 50 Bing points. :P

I'm gonna try to wrap up Hogwarts this week. It's a really good game, still a recommend, but I'm about open world-ed out for now. I need a change of pace. Part of me wants to fire Xenoblade 3 back up after this, and part of me wants to throw in one of the indies in my backlog. We'll see which part wins out. ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot that Atomic Heart came out last week & is on Gamepass, I'm really interested in that one too. Man, Gamepass is killing it this year already, Wo Long is gonna be on it when it releases this week as well.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:02 amAtomic Heart came out last week & is on Gamepass, I'm really interested in that one too. Man, Gamepass is killing it this year already, Wo Long is gonna be on it when it releases this week as well.
Atomic Heart looks ok. I’m not really into FPSs as much these days, so it’s not something that I’m all that excited about. Also, I know that you said before that you don’t really care what character that you play as in a game as long as the game is fun. But for me the character that I play as in a game is pretty important, and I’ve stopped playing games because I didn’t like the character that I was playing as. I don’t want to play as a character that I don’t like in a game regardless of how good the rest of the game is. An unappealing and unlikable main character will ruin a game for me, and make me not want to play it. If I really like the character that I’m playing as, it can turn an average game into a good one for me. For example, the latest Saints Row is kind of an average open world action game, but I created a character that I really liked and it made the game a lot of fun. I wouldn’t have wanted to play it all if I had to play as a generic dude that I had no interest in playing as. And apparently the main protagonist in Atomic Heart is a generic unappealing dude that says a lot of dumb stuff while engaging in combat. So that combined with the fact that I’m not really into FPSs all that much these days basically makes me less excited about it. Also, I’ve heard that Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is a punishingly difficult so it’s another game that I have little to no interest in. However, I’m still interested in hearing your impressions of both games when you play them.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:22 pm Not sure what I'll play next. I fired up Pathfinder but got worn out in just the character creation screen. :lol: Might not be the right time for that one.

I know that feeling. Sometimes you fire up a game and it feels like you're about to embark upon a new university course or learn a new language, and you're just feeling too tired (or old :P), and it's like, "Ain't nobody got time for that." :P Even if I can tell I'm going to enjoy something, sometimes I just can't be arsed to step to the rhythm, and decide to fire up something more simple.

I finished up Pony Island, and it was certainly different, but fun all the same. Just seeing what creations simmer up from some minds is worth the trip all itself.

I'm on 6-3 in Adventure Island, slowly beating it (and myself :P) into submission.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:16 am
canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:22 pmNot sure what I'll play next. I fired up Pathfinder but got worn out in just the character creation screen. :lol: Might not be the right time for that one.

I know that feeling. Sometimes you fire up a game and it feels like you're about to embark upon a new university course or learn a new language, and you're just feeling too tired (or old :P), and it's like, "Ain't nobody got time for that." :P Even if I can tell I'm going to enjoy something, sometimes I just can't be arsed to step to the rhythm, and decide to fire up something more simple.
I know that feeling as well, and it’s part of why I’ve been into indie and retro games more lately... simplicity. I just want to start a game and begin having fun right away without feeling like I need to attend a college course before playing it to learn all of its inventory management, mechanics, systems, etc. That’s part of why I’m looking forward to Dead Island 2 so much, because I know that it will be a game where I pick up the controller and start having fun right away without any complicated crap getting in the way.