The Backlog Check-in Vol. 271: 3/11/23: Bayonetta Origins/The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure/WWE 2K23 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 271: 3/11/23: Bayonetta Origins/The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure/WWE 2K23 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Nothing

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Nothing

Added: Nothing

Games releasing this week
Alice Gear Aegis CS: Concerto of Simulatrix
Amber City
Anno 1800
Anthology of Fear
Backbeat
Barotrauma
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
Blade of Darkness
Defend the Rook
Flame Keeper
The Forest Cathedral
Gorn
Hell of an Office
Hot Wheels: Rift Rally
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure
Mile High Taxi
Mortal Sin
Nihongo Quest
Peppa Pig: World Adventures
Post Void
Rough Justice ‘84
Spin Rhythm XD
Squad 61 vs. The Flying Saucers
Startenders: Intergalactic Bartending
Stellaris: First Contact
Subway Midnight
Terminal Velocity: Boosted Edition
Titanium Hound
Two Point Campus: School Spirits
Valheim
Vernal Edge
The Voidness
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
The Wreck
WWE 2K23
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 271: 3/11/23: Bayonetta Origins/The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure/WWE 2K23 Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Like a Dragon: Ishin

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 44 games

Put in about 9 hours over the weekend for Ishin. It's just as you would expect...I mean, they even use the same character faces for the main people :lol: .

Also, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is coming out for PS4 for those who didn't play it on DS or want to double dip.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 271: 3/11/23: Bayonetta Origins/The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure/WWE 2K23 Edition

Post by canedaddy »

How are things going, Phase?

jfissel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:33 am Put in about 9 hours over the weekend for Ishin. It's just as you would expect...I mean, they even use the same character faces for the main people :lol: .
Ha, I'm okay with that.

Played recently: Tesla vs Lovecraft, Nobody Saves the World

Finished: Tesla vs Lovecraft

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 28

Tesla vs Lovecraft was a blast. I had a heck of a time getting past one level toward the end and almost bailed, but finally beat it on one of my "okay, one more time and then I'm done" attempts. :P Very fun game. Thanks for the word, izzy.

Nobody Saves the World is a lot of fun too. I've liked everything from Drinkbox and this is no exception. Kind of a Zelda game where you transform into different animals/character types. I'm pretty early but will be sticking with it.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:52 am Tesla vs Lovecraft was a blast. I had a heck of a time getting past one level toward the end and almost bailed, but finally beat it on one of my "okay, one more time and then I'm done" attempts. :P Very fun game. Thanks for the word, izzy.
Happy you enjoyed it too.

I've already put over 35 hours into Chronicon. (Sorry I'm breaking your rule phase. :P) Needless to say, it's been really fun and addictive. I'm almost through with the 5 act campaign, but from what I can gather, that's simply the appetizer for things, not to mention the three other classes to try out. Hard to believe one guy (a second for the soundtrack, which is also really good) made this. I know it's 2D, and doesn't have the visual assets/production values of big games, but I'm talking about the depth of everything and just how fun it is. I was a bit hesitant to start it up. I don't know if any of you guys often feel like this, but sometimes if I'm expecting to really enjoy a game that has a lot of depth and could eat up tons of hours, I get a bit "lazy" thinking about dedicating so much time and "energy", even if it's ultimately worth that investment. Ahh, first world problems. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:52 amHow are things going, Phase?
Better, thanks for asking. My amputated leg doesn’t hurt as much now as it did before, and I go to rehab tomorrow. I should be going home after a few days in rehab.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 amImage
You guys always post the funniest pics and videos. :lol: Laughter is good medicine for me right now.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

After the recent previews of Dead Island 2, I’m no longer buying it on day one for full price. Now I plan on waiting to get it when it’s $30-$40 at the most. Based on critic previews that played the final build of the game for several hours, the game appears to be a linear, repetitive and somewhat short first person action game as opposed to a big open world mission driven 40+ hour action RPG like the first game. I have no doubt that the combat will be fun, but that’s all that it seems to offer in terms of gameplay.

While it’s called Dead Island 2, I think that it’s ultimately going to be yet another co-op zombie action game like Left 4 Dead that shares very little in common with the first Dead Island other than for its combat and weapon crafting. We’ll see what the reviews have to say when they’re posted, but that’s basically what the previews have been saying.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

This place has been too quiet lately, we need crim back.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:10 am This place has been too quiet lately, we need crim back.
Yeah, I miss his contributions too. I'm sure he's busy as he generally seems to be.

Things move in ebbs and flows. Just be still and let it all be. ;)

I finished up the campaign in Chronicon. Really fun game. It immediately encourages further play, suggesting much more to do right upon "beating" it. So I'm sure I'll see what that's all about. I might try out a new class as well in addition to continuing to tweak my current character build for maximum carnage.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games (re)added: Eiyuden Chronicle Rising, Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate, Super Mario Odyssey, & Luigi's Mansion 3

Last week: Finished Hogwarts Legacy, played Super Mario Odyssey & Peggle 2

This week: So far, more of those 2.

Now that I've finished Hogwarts Legacy, I wouldn't recommend it at full price. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it at all for most of you guys. I think Phase will enjoy it, but it's not worth getting day-1. Way too many missed opportunities, and the annoyances of the game really add up the further you go. Story is extremely unsatisfying - the main story is never really interesting, and the main sidequest that is kinda engaging for a bit forces you into a decision that I personally wouldn't have made, then has almost zero resolution at the end beyond one of the characters basically saying "Hey, remember that happened? Yup." Ugh.

Mario Odyssey, on the other hand, is just as much fun the second time through as it was the first. I had been meaning to pick it & LM3 back up, so I decided to grab them last Friday on "Mario Day" (Mar10...get it? :? ) since they almost never go on sale any other time.

I picked up Warriors to play w/ DG, but we haven't had a chance to yet - gonna try for tonight. And Eiyuden Chronicle Rising is the physical release that I had on pre-order. I need to play it before EC: Hundred Heroes comes out - which I'm *really* looking forward to. Hrm, I need to revisit my most anticipated list, I think it's changed a bit.
jfissel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:33 am Also, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is coming out for PS4 for those who didn't play it on DS or want to double dip.
This game gets my highest recommendation. I sold my DS copy back in December since it was going for ridiculous money and I can't see the DS screen well enough to play on it anymore anyway. :P So the port announcement was extremely good news for me - definitely picking it back up (probably for the Switch).
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:34 pm
canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:52 amHow are things going, Phase?
Better, thanks for asking. My amputated leg doesn’t hurt as much now as it did before, and I go to rehab tomorrow. I should be going home after a few days in rehab.
Good to hear - hang in there! And I'm sorry to hear that about Dead Island 2, I know you were really looking forward to it. I was extremely underwhelmed by the gameplay reveal of Suicide Squad too - as was most of the internet, from what I hear. Looks like another "games as a service" game. Though I'm hearing rumors that it may be getting pushed back - WAY back, to next year - to get retooled some after the poor reception. We'll see. I say all that to say - indies are where it's at more & more these days.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

argyle wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:23 pm Now that I've finished Hogwarts Legacy, I wouldn't recommend it at full price. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it at all for most of you guys. I think Phase will enjoy it, but it's not worth getting day-1. Way too many missed opportunities, and the annoyances of the game really add up the further you go. Story is extremely unsatisfying - the main story is never really interesting, and the main sidequest that is kinda engaging for a bit forces you into a decision that I personally wouldn't have made, then has almost zero resolution at the end beyond one of the characters basically saying "Hey, remember that happened? Yup." Ugh.
Should be a good pickup at $20-30 then, I can wait.