The Backlog Check-in Vol. 276: 4/15/23: Dead Island 2 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 276: 4/15/23: Dead Island 2 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: BloodRayne ReVamped

Finished; Nothing

Playing; BloodRayne ReVamped

Added: Nothing

Someone has been posting Dead Island 2 walkthrough videos on YouTube, and it looks pretty cool but linear. The environments are like linear levels that funnel you down straight and narrow pathways with only some branching paths. Combat looks fun, but there doesn’t seem to be much more to the game than that. I’m still interested in getting it on day one since I’m a big fan of the first game, but if it’s a linear and somewhat short game then I’ll wait and get it when it’s cheaper.

I came across this video of the previously canceled version of the game, and I think that it looks better than the game that we’re getting. It looked well into development, so I don’t know why it was canceled:

Games releasing this week
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
Afterlife VR
Arcana of Paradise: The Tower
BQM: BlockQuest Maker Remastered
Cavity Busters
Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly
Dead Island 2
Desktop Dungeons: Rewind
Disney Speedstorm
DNF Duel
Eresys
Europa Universalis IV: Domination
Exogate Initiative
Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Collection
God of Rock
Gun Jam
Havendock
Homestead Arcana
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores
Labyrinth of Zangetsu
Lost Epic
The Mageseeker: A League of Legends Story
Mia and the Dragon Princess
Minecraft Legends
Molly Medusa: Queen of Spit
Mr. Brocco and Co.
Mr. Sun’s Hatbox
OTXO
Outer Terror
Pets Hotel
Puzzle Quest 3
Secret Agent: Cold War Espionage
Shattered Heaven
Stray Blade
Survival: Fountain of Youth
Tin Hearts
Volcano Princess
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 276: 4/15/23: Dead Island 2 Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Like a Dragon: Ishin

Now Playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

Ishin down! Beat the story at 75-76 hours, currently at 81 due to trying to get a few more trophies. I think I'm done though...Horizon DLC coming out this week so I'll hop into that. Might also have to get FFV and FFVI from the Pixel Remaster Collection as those are 2 I haven't played, we'll see.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

The Machine in action! How would you rank it compared to the mainline games?

Played recently: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Castlevania Advance Collection

Current backlog: 30

Very much enjoying my time with Aria of Sorrow. Just what the doctor was looking for. I'm about halfway through the map.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I just found out that the PS4 version of Dead Island 2 is $69.99, the same price as the current gen versions of the game. I can’t believe that companies are raising the prices of last gen games to current gen game prices. I always thought that $59.99 for a game was kind of high, but $69.99 is ridiculous IMO especially for last gen games that have always been $59.99 up until now.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:17 pm The Machine in action! How would you rank it compared to the mainline games?
Unsure, but the story is solid with the usual twists and turns lol. Lots of crazy and fun side stuff to complete or avoid. I read a historical version of the real timeline/characters/events that someone created and it was neat to see what they kept and what they changed. I think I said this previously, but it's kind of a fan service game with characters from other games in the series playing different people in this one. I'd probably put it somewhere in the middle, great Yakuza game (but then again they are all great).

EDIT: And by the way, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name is coming out later this year and then Like a Dragon 8 will be in 2024. So much Yakuza!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Since I decided not to get Dead Island 2 on day one due to the PS4 version being $69.99, I plan on buying Hogwarts Legacy on May 5th instead if the PS4 version release date actually sticks this time. It’s going to be $59.99 as it should be for last gen games, none of this $69.99 bullshit.
jfissel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:01 pmLike a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name is coming out later this year and then Like a Dragon 8 will be in 2024. So much Yakuza!
I still have Yakuza 1-7 and both Judgment games to play, and I want all of the Like a Dragon games too. Like you said, so much Yakuza!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:01 pmUnsure, but the story is solid with the usual twists and turns lol. Lots of crazy and fun side stuff to complete or avoid. I read a historical version of the real timeline/characters/events that someone created and it was neat to see what they kept and what they changed. I think I said this previously, but it's kind of a fan service game with characters from other games in the series playing different people in this one. I'd probably put it somewhere in the middle, great Yakuza game (but then again they are all great).

EDIT: And by the way, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name is coming out later this year and then Like a Dragon 8 will be in 2024. So much Yakuza!
I'm sure I'll enjoy it whenever I get to it. I still have to play the first Like a Dragon as well as Judgment and Lost Judgment. Not sure I'll ever get caught up.

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:51 pm Since I decided not to get Dead Island 2 on day one due to the PS4 version being $69.99, I plan on buying Hogwarts Legacy on May 5th instead if the PS4 version release date actually sticks this time. It’s going to be $59.99 as it should be for last gen games, none of this $69.99 bullshit.
You might want to hold off on Hogwarts until you hear it runs well on PS4. Word has it the PS5 version was chugging, so it might be a Cyberpunk situation on PS4.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

The reviews and scores for Dead Island 2 are admittedly a little better than I was expecting, but what they say about the game is unfortunately exactly what I was expecting - a somewhat linear 20 hour co-op zombie action game lacking in story, characterization, adventure, exploration and overall depth in general. For $40 that might be fine, but not for $70. I’ll get it when I can get it for $40 or less which probably won’t take long since Deep Silver games always drop in price fast.
canedaddy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:23 amYou might want to hold off on Hogwarts until you hear it runs well on PS4. Word has it the PS5 version was chugging, so it might be a Cyberpunk situation on PS4.
Of course I won’t buy it on day one for full price if it’s gimped on the PS4, but I have a feeling that it’s not going to be. A few performance and technical issues here and there don’t bother me that much, I’m usually more concerned with game breaking bugs which I don’t expect the game to have.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:23 am
jfissel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:01 pmUnsure, but the story is solid with the usual twists and turns lol. Lots of crazy and fun side stuff to complete or avoid. I read a historical version of the real timeline/characters/events that someone created and it was neat to see what they kept and what they changed. I think I said this previously, but it's kind of a fan service game with characters from other games in the series playing different people in this one. I'd probably put it somewhere in the middle, great Yakuza game (but then again they are all great).

I'm sure I'll enjoy it whenever I get to it. I still have to play the first Like a Dragon as well as Judgment and Lost Judgment. Not sure I'll ever get caught up.
Not with that attitude. :lol:

But seriously, they are releasing a lot these days. You could probably skip the 2 Judgments and Ishin...and don't forget that Like a Dragon has turn-based combat that may fill a current void in your gaming heart.

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:51 pm
jfissel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:01 pmLike a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name is coming out later this year and then Like a Dragon 8 will be in 2024. So much Yakuza!
I still have Yakuza 1-7 and both Judgment games to play, and I want all of the Like a Dragon games too. Like you said, so much Yakuza!
Speaking of catching up...holy smokes.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:57 am But seriously, they are releasing a lot these days. You could probably skip the 2 Judgments and Ishin...and don't forget that Like a Dragon has turn-based combat that may fill a current void in your gaming heart.
Good call. Like a Dragon is next on the list.